Saudis' role in Iraq insurgency outlined

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Link

With friends like Saudi Arabia, who needs enemies?

Once again, US support of repressive regimes means that we are financing terror that's directed at us.

A lot has been made of Shia (Iranian) terrorists in Iraq but it looks as though the Saudis have them beat by a mile.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

and how much do we think the ruling family is just sitting back and enjoying? there's probably a collective sigh of relief as the people who regularly threaten the family are now getting sidetracked in another country.

fighting them over there so we don't have to fight them there, indeed. except w/o the "fighting" part. good deal if you can get it.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Last I recall 911 was done by Saudi's not Iraqi's....Try telling George or Cheney that:D

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

What no one seems to be acknowledging here is that those men that flew the planes into the WTC and those in Iraq are not there under the flag of Saudi Arabia. They are not attacking the US and Iraq as Saudi nationals and are not sactioned by the Saudi government. They are there as agents of al Qaeda or some other faction. Sure, the U.S. has a 'special' relationship with Saudi Arabia, they have for a long time. The U.S. doesn't go to war with China over Taiwan or Human rights violations because there are other considerations, just as there are with Saudi Arabia.

5. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Amazing how quickly we forget that the Bin Laden family was THE VERY FIRST
    to be given air transport out of this country following 9/11.

These men of EXTREME wealth and power could care less about foot soldiers
    or peasants caught up in the battle.

This perpetual war fuels their empires.

6. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

The Sauds are the totalitarian rulers of Arabia. To claim there's a true, functioning government in SA is extremely naive. What there are are factions within the ruling family and some of those factions are extremely anti-American.

We'll probably never know where the funding came from to support these terrorists but there's a very good chance that some of it came from a faction of the ruling family itself.

The Sauds view themselves as the supreme overlords of Islam itself and are only too happy to see it spread as has been evidenced in Bosnia. They're also well aware that their extreme form of Islam, Wahibism, is the source of a great deal of the discord that exists in SA. By allowing these discordant young men to leave and blow themselves up and perhaps a few Shia or Sunni as well, they've created a de facto pressure valve. One that they desperately need if they are to maintain their ruling status.

7. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Second.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

lol, okay. you can side-step the point of my earlier post for nomenclature of whatever type of ruling entity exists there. Just replace government with ruling family an re-read my post. lol, jesus.

So is your assertion is that Mohammed Atta and the rest of the 9/11 hijackers and the Sauds in Iraq are actually agents of the ruling family disguised as al Qaeda? If thats true why would bin Laden have to hide in the hills of Afghanistan? Should he return to Riyadh to open arms and pats on the back?

al Qaeda is at odds with the ruling family in SA. They're trying to end the family's rule are they not?

9. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

How did Atta come into the equation? I was clearly talking about the Saudi terrorists operating in Iraq. For the record though, I don't know if Atta was financed by the Sauds but it seems there are quite a few within the ruling family who are at odds with one another and it would be stupid to rule it out. What better way to bring on the downfall of the Sauds than from within?

I'm sure there are those in SA who would gladly welcome bin Laden back into the fold. Since the world really has no idea about the intrigues in the royal family, we can only guess.

Can you prove to me that bin Laden isn't in Riyadh?

10. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I think either they know exactly where Bin Laden is or he's dead.

Right now he may be the only playing card left for this administration.

Quite literally a get out of jail card.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Isn't in Riyadh? Hmmm. I'll have to get my tinfoil hat to answer that one. :)

12. Queso macrumors G4

Funny how all these oppressive US-backed regimes stir up Islamist nationalism isn't it? Looks like the lesson from the effects of backing The Shah have still not fed through to the brain. What will it take do you think? Revolutions in both WMD-armed Pakistan and super oil-rich Saudi Arabia?

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Based on what? You hearing the voices again?

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Is the ruling family in SA really "backed" by the US?

15. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

Well, the bush family did adopt Bandar so I guess we could say at the very least that bushco is a firm backer of the house of saud.

16. Queso macrumors G4

There's a certain amount of symbiosis going on with the current Administration. The Bush family have done extremely well out of their close association with the Al-Sauds. Saudi Arabia is beneficiary to major discounting on US purchased arms and military hardware, eligibility for which is only granted to those the US government wishes to support, and receives $300 million/year in military aid.