Saudis warn of economic fallout if Congress passes 9/11 bill

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by shinji, Apr 17, 2016.

1. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/16/w...f-congress-passes-9-11-bill.html?ref=politics

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'm a little curious as to how The Donald would negotiate in this situation.

3. SusanK macrumors 68000

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Why is Obama protecting the Saudi crime family?

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Same reason Bush did, oil.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The Saudi government holds roughly $750 billion worth of US Treasury bills and bonds. That $20 trillion worth of Government debt people keep whinging about? Roughly 5% of it is held by Saudis.

If it believed those assets might be frozen as a result of a legal case brought in the United States over the 9/11 attacks; it would - frankly - be a prudent move to sell them in exchange for other assets that would be immune to such judicial overreach.

From a practical, financial, standpoint it would be difficult to pull off. The Saudis would lose tens of billions of dollars doing so, and would probably cause any number of other unintended financial and economic consequences.

On a longer time frame: the Saudis are probably going to be net sellers of US Government securities over the next several years regardless. The crash in oil prices has put the Saudis (along with the Russians, Venezuelans, etc.) into a situation where their domestic budget deficits have to be covered by cashing in their sovereign wealth funds.

The good news? Its unlikely that these sales will put any significant downward pressure on US treasury securities, or cause any significant spike in US interest rates. In a world where Swiss banks are charging Chinese billionaires a percent or so per year to hold onto their cash, getting a point and a half from Uncle Sam seems like a no-brainer.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

No, the petro dollar.

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

We all know how Hitlary would handle it.

Her closest friend and adviser is saudi operative Huma Abedin ...

10. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

Reason: They have oil, the USA sells them military equipment.

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

Which they give to ISIS ...

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Included in the same article...
    I read a similar article the a couple days also doubting that a sell off would happen due to the economic impact on Saudi Arabia. I doubt it will happen. I'm sure the US would retaliate with their own methods of economic games.

If Saudi Arabia is threatening to withhold assets, it sounds borderline like admission of guilt on some level. In 2003 SA wanted this info released. At the same time, it seems like everyone pretends to already know what the 28 pages say. I grew up in Connecticut outside of NYC, I know many people affected by 9/11 directly. My father was in NYC on 9/11 and worked 10-15 minutes away (walking). I have some trouble understanding why "victim's families" care so much about this report to be honest, especially a decade and a half later (actually I don't know any demanding the release).

As a result of 9/11 we've already started wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as other military operations- and lets face it the Middle East is a mess because of it than thousands upon thousands more have died. Given the current state of the Middle East is now a good time to play politics with releasing this information? I'm have no idea. The only apparent benefit to releasing the information everyone seems to already know is victims might be able to sue Saudi Arabia/involved foreign governments for damages. But good luck with that.

13. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Treason Against the United States.

According to LaRouchePAC piece from a few hours ago, that, like 28 pages, is secret:

Declassify the 28 Pages

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Is the bill that would allow the Saudi government to be held responsible for 9/11 a different issue than declassifying the 28 pages? Because if the world knew the truth that would be a refreshing change.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the world can't handle the truth.

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    More like "the world can't handle an official acknowledgement of what it already knows."

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

pretty much, easier to think we are not committing genocide to prop up the dollar :eek:

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Or looking the other way when it comes and bites us in the ass.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

we are the "good guys", how DARE anyone retaliate?

20. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Without the USA The Saudis would cease to exist...or we could always not provide parts and maintenance to the fighter jets we provide them.

Boy who cried wolf.

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Who would've thought that buying a rabid doberman as a guard dog would've had consequences?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 18, 2016 ---
    We have the greater advantage, sure, but they have enough of our short and curlies in hand that it'd sting pretty badly if they decided to yank back one day.

...man, gotta love those graphic analogies.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Killad Kadaffy duck over the petro dollar, we are looking to kill/remove Assad over the same thing, plenty of brown people dead just to keep up the petrodollar going, if the Saudis go so do we economically.

23. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Obama is traveling to Saudi Arabia this week to pay fealty to the Saudi king (how low will he bow?), apologize for the 9/11 controversy, and assure the Saudi crime family that the American people will never see the unreacted 9/11 report.

24. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

I don't think the US is that dependent on saudi oil anymore -

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

we only get 16% from the M-E, oil "dependency" has NEVER been the issue, the petrodollar is the issue