We recently upgraded to Panther and came across this behavior in the Save and Save As dialogs that seems bad. If it's a known quirk, I apologize for bringing it up again. I could not find it the answer anywhere on the web. Try the following: 1. Create a document in any app and select File->Save As... 2. The goal is to save in a particular directory. The arrow button next to the Save As input field should be clicked so column or list view is shown. The problem is best seen in a directory with a mix of files and folders. 3. Folders can be navigated and existing files are dimmed out (as it should be), but if you click on an existing file accidentally, the name of the file you are trying to save changes to the name of the file you've just clicked on. If you click the Save As button, you'll be warned that you're replacing a file that already exists. This might be useful 1 percent of the time, but the other 99 percent is spent potentially overwriting files unintentionally. OS 9 handles this correctly. Dimmed dialog options should not respond to mouse clicks, otherwise why dim them out. That kind of interface behavior is expressed throughout OS X correctly, but the Save As dialog is different. Anyone else find this to be a bad or, at worst, extremely annoying behavior? Did this exist in Jaguar?