"save target as".... it's not there!!

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
everyone knows how on PC's in Internet Explorer you can select save target as, right? well is there something similar on the Mac version of IE? or is there a workaround?

whenever i go to a site and it says 'save target as' i just click on the link and it opens in a new IE window. is there any way to save the avi, mov files or whatever to my HD?

and i can't get DivX to work either. i just got DivX 5.0 Alpha 2 and no divx stuff is working, not even the stuff at www.divx.com

does anyone have the same problem, or know whats up with this?

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Yeah there is a way to get around this hold down the option key while you click. Or if you click while holding control, a similiar menu pops up as the one when you right click in Winblows. In this menu there is the option to (in IE, yes I use it) download link.

Hope this helps

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
that only downloads the actual link, not the file that it takes you to.

the problem i'm having is that i'm trying to watch and download some animations. i can watch them fine, but after i click on the links it just loads the movie into another IE window, and i want to save it to my HD so i can watch it later. i checked prefrences in IE and there was nothing about this. any ideas?

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
It works fine for me, well I tried, that's what I do when I download mp3s (for the record, I own them) and it works fine for me. Sorry I was no help

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
A couple of thoughts...

Originally posted by cb911

the problem i'm having is that i'm trying to watch and download some animations. i can watch them fine, but after i click on the links it just loads the movie into another IE window, and i want to save it to my HD so i can watch it later. i checked prefrences in IE and there was nothing about this. any ideas?
I wasn't clear if you had tried control-clicking. It gives you a small menu that includes "Download link". This works the way you want it to (as long as the link refers *only* to a document, not a web page containing the document you want).

My other suggestion is to use Mozila. IE is terrible.

Chris

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I have no problem with downloading images, files and such from within ie. If you go to a url, control click on the item you want to save, you get an option "Download ____ to disk" You can then select where you want the file to go (defaults to your normal download location). You can also download the link if you so desire or open the link in a new window.

This is made easier if you have a multi-button mouse... Since you can just right click onto the url or image and get the options.

I would also recommend downloading the latest version of ie, if you haven't already... For OS 9.x, it's ie 5.1.5; for OS X, it's 5.2.1.

gernb

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2002
additionally, you can click and hold on the link and the contextual menu will pop up letting you "Save target as...", etc.

guess, the one button mouse is more useful than i thought

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
ya it doesnt seem right for apple to consider two button mice when everything they have out so far has one button and it functions almost as effectively as a two button mouse on a windows box. if they do put out two button mice, it would be cool if the second button could be used for the same sort of copy operation that you can do on solaris boxes.

it downloads the file...or page or whatever the link leads to. it doesn't save the link by making a shortcut or anything. mouse over the link and check the extension of the doc in the status bar. if its a file, it will save that file. if its a page, it will save that page....

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
hey W-_-W, thanks for your help. and don't worry if you have a few mp3's that you didn't get from a store, i've got about 7GB of mp3s and i've never spent a cent on a CD or any other music stuff.;) :D
and i do have the latest version of IE.
and as for 'download link to disk' it doesn't work!!!:mad: :mad: see for yourselves: got to http://homepage.mac.com/mugget/ its the file '5 pepe sorenson'. it was supposed to be a 38MB mov file and that is what i got.

i opened up Mozilla and it looks like it's working, althought it is going a bit slow, 11kb/s isn't the best i've seen.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
good news! i can download the animation from Mozilla now. works fine. why doesn't IE for Mac have save target as? i know IE on my PC has it.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
good news! i can download the animation from Mozilla now. works fine. why doesn't IE for Mac have save target as? i know IE on my PC has it.
Because you are talking about MicroSofterThenASneakerFullOfPuppySh*t, that's why... :eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :p :D :cool:

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
i opened up Mozilla and it looks like it's working, althought it is going a bit slow, 11kb/s isn't the best i've seen.
Not sure if you were implying that Mozilla was responsible for the slow download speed, but that's not possible. You have probably realized this by now...

Glad it worked for you. To bad IE didn't work the way you wanted (although I'm still not perfectly clear why it didn't).

Chris