Save The Planet!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Desertrat, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I was happily working on my first cup of coffe of this slept-late morning, and ran across a link to this in the Washington Post:

"(Sheryl) Crow (4/19, Springfield, Tenn.): I have spent the better part of this tour trying to come up with easy ways for us all to become a part of the solution to global warming. Although my ideas are in the earliest stages of development, they are, in my mind, worth investigating. One of my favorites is in the area of forest conservation which we heavily rely on for oxygen. I propose a limitation be put on how many squares of toilet paper can be used in any one sitting. Now, I don't want to rob any law-abiding American of his or her God-given rights, but I think we are an industrious enough people that we can make it work with only one square per restroom visit, except, of course, on those pesky occasions where 2 to 3 could be required."

Forest conservation? Forest conservation? Has this creature never travelled in the southeastern quadrant of the United States?

There are million acres of tree farms, from east Texas to the Atlantic Ocean. These are the source of cardboard boxes, government forms and non-skid bum-wipe. They're thinned at about eight years, there's a first harvest at about 13 years, and then a harvest at 23 years and then replanting. Young, growing trees consume more CO2 than mature trees. Is this too complicated for ready understanding?

One aspect of not harvesting mature timber and replanting is that while you may think you're saving a spotted owl, you're doing damn-all about this excess CO2 that is gonna wreck Civilization As We Know It.

Does Sheryl Crow poop rabbit pellets? One sheet of non-skid? Duh? A one-sheet limit, seems to me, would be insufficient for her lips, with this sort of emission.

Possibly she's goning into business? The "Sheryl Crow Constipatory Diet Plan"? "Save a tree! Save money! Save the planet! For only $39.95 plus $4.95 shipping and handling, we'll send you..." Ah, late night TV. I can just see it now...

I submit that we would save more trees by reducing the numbers of government forms than by worrying about "bathroom tissue". Replace those pulpwood pines with hardwoods, benefitting wildlife.

Ah, well. Her heart's in the right place, even if her head is in close proximity to the one-sheet zone.

Rant mode off. :D

'Rat

2. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

3. Desertrat thread starter macrumors newbie

My tree planting has been mostly for shade, but at least I've planted trees. :) I've always thought I was an environmentalist, even way back when I was one of those plumping for NEPA '69. Even moreso after four years of fairly intense brain-picking on the bug-and-bunny PhDs as part of my job...

I'm strongly in favor of folks caring about the environment. I just get bent out of shape when those who know next to nothing about the real world somehow become regarded as Gurus because of their feelings, rather than because of their knowledge.

TP solution: We're doing all that gasahol from corn, right? Won't that leave a bunch of corn cobs? Hmmm. Use 'em, save 'em, sell 'em for fireplace fuel. :D

'Rat

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Perhaps... JUST perhaps.. her blog post was a bit tongue in cheek? Wistful thinking translated to blog? :rolleyes:

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Whilst on the subject:
    http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=8ca8512b-e032-451d-85cd-ca3642ab62c6

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Oh God!. I'm dying here! Wish I hadn't had a mouthful of coffee when I read that! :D

8. Desertrat thread starter macrumors newbie

One would hope it was a joke. :)

From a blog: "Last week we heard Ms Crow lamenting the climate change that she personally has viewed in her lifetime at her favorite beaches."

Question: Is that also a joke?

To continue: "That’s right! In just twenty short years of observations, none of which are accompanied by scientifically compiled data, she has noted a significant increase in temperatures! I could point out to Ms Crow that women her age occasionally sense a higher temperature than ambient due to hormonal rather than climatic change, but that might be viewed as sexist."

I dunno if she's making jokes or making of herself a joke.

Reminds me of a story of my wife's: She'd gone to the Ladies' Loo at Johnny's Hideaway in Hotlanta, Jawgia. A lady was fanning herself briskly and commented, "How can I make these guys think I'm just 35 if I keep having these hot flashes?"

:D, 'Rat

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yes, it was a joke. And just as it being cold in some places doesn't mean there's no global warming, having lots of trees in some places doesn't mean we shouldn't conserve. I used to live in WA. Trees everywhere. Same with the rain forest. Doesn't mean we should go wiping out football fields worth without replenishing and not expect some negative consequences.