Saved Messages Using Space

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ds., Jul 12, 2013.

1. ds. macrumors member

I was just wondering if I needed to delete messages on my phone or not. I never had a problem with them before but I recently noticed that they take up about 400 mb of space. I do send pictures through iMessage and texts so that may be why, but the phone says that these are saved messages and I don't recall saving any messages so I'm not sure what that could mean. Is there any way I can look at only my saved messages or would I just have to delete all my messages? I'd rather not delete them all if I don't have to.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

They are on the phone therefor they are "saved" delete a conservation or two and the number will go down. Not sure why you are worried about 400MB when you have 4.3GB left

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

4. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

I would love to see the size of my messages database lol, I very seldom delete text's. I have some going back a few years with friends I like it though for nostalgia reasons.

5. ds. thread starter macrumors member

Well I cleared up about 4GB of music earlier so that's why I have the space now.

I was just wondering if this is normal or not because I don't remember seeing my messages before and it suddenly showed up there, showing that they take up about 400 MB.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, its normal.
    Messages if you let them accumulate for a while can take up lots of space.
    You can clean them up if you want.

7. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

Whoa how is it that you are using the iOS 7 already? Has your phone giving you any issues yet?

8. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

I bet the size of the message database is less than 1% (less than 4MB) of that 414MB. The rest is all MMS/iMessage. You can actually gain access to the messages database by extracting the backup

For comparison, I have 38k text messages on my phone and the database only takes up 22.5MB

Pretty cool iOS 7 factors in mms. In iOS 6, MMS/iMessage pictures would count as "other". I don't even think there's a "messages" in the usage section

9. ds. thread starter macrumors member

A friend sent me a torrent link to download the backup file for iPhone 5. It hasn't given me too much trouble so far, but it does lag a little now and then. Haven't update to beta 3 yet, hopefully I'll do that soon. It is a nice change from the previous iOS though. Takes a while to get used to all the new things but it's not that bad.

That may be why I never noticed the size of them before.

Thanks for all your help everyone :)

10. CEmajr macrumors 601

I have tons of messages saved in my iPhone since I've been restoring them from backup since way back in 2008 when I got the iPhone 3G. I wonder how much space they take up. How do you get it to show?

11. ds. thread starter macrumors member

I upgraded to the iOS 7 beta, and according to the darricksailo, it's a feature in iOS 7 where messages are now shown seperately from the "other" section under usage. I don't know of any other way of seeing the space they take.