Saving an iPhone 2G...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by giraffeboy27, Jul 8, 2013.

1. giraffeboy27 macrumors member

I've always liked the look of the origonal iPhone, and so I bought one of ebay recently for £35. It had a cracked screen (by that i mean the front glass) and the previous owner had tried to remove some of it :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd read online that it was possible to replace the front glass, but that it was incredibly difficult, because if you aren't careful, you can break the digitiser. I used a medical scalpel, and a hair dryer.

[​IMG]

At one point, I left the heat on for too long, and the LCD (which was on, so that i couyld check that it was working) turned a hideouus purple!

Anyway, it was fine in the end, and took about 6 hours to remove all the shards of glass. I then used adhesive tape to attach the new glass.

[​IMG]

Thankfully, my phone works fine, and the digitiser hasn't been damaged. I've installed whited00r 6 on it, and installed some apps on it via the amazing App Market. Was a bit of a hassle, had to install 3.1.3 via redsn0w, as it wouldn't let me install whited00r straight after a restore.(I only install apps that I have bought previously.) I think it's a real shame that Apple doesn't have a "legacy App Store", for older devices. There must be millions of iPhones out there, not being used purely because Apps won't run on the phone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading. Hope this helps anyone who is thinking of replacing their iPhone screen, it can be done. If anyone wants any help, feel free to pm me, and I'll try and help.

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Nicely done.
    Thanks for sharing your tips as for whatever reason, this model of iPhone is the most difficult to replace screens and batteries with.