Saving SMS/IMessage/Data From Another Iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thriii, Oct 17, 2013.

1. thriii macrumors 6502

Have a bit of a tricky situation here.. I have an iphone 4 while my brother has a 5s.

I've never connected another persons iphone to any of my computers so I'm not sure what happens when they start to sync and I don't want any of my data being synced to his phone but hes trying save some text and imessage messages as evidence for court. From what I have read, it's best to get the records from the phone company but that has been difficult so far. Some of the messages include images which should be very helpful which is why we are trying to go this route in case the phone company doesnt work out so my question is:

What is the best way to connect someones elses iphone and save SMS/IMessage messages and imessage photos in a format thats readable so it can be saved as evidence?

Also I'm not trying to erase or replace anything on his phone, its a brand new phone so want it to work I'm just looking for the best solution to copy the messages over

2. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

My suggestion is to stay out of it. He can backup the phone on a computer he syncs with and pull the messages out of that. If he doesn't sync, IIRC he can still backup the phone with iTunes without syncing and erasing. Or get something like iExplorer and pull the stuff off manually. Or he can backup to iCloud and then turn off backups to preserve an "image".