Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wilson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
Can someone be so kindly to tell me how to save after altering system preferences? I'm using a dual display setup and everytime I restart or shutdown, my settings for the monitors are changed. The resolution on the second monitor is changed, and the arrangement is also changed.

If someone can tell me how to save my settings on systeme preferences that would be great.

Thanks.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Wilson said:
Can someone be so kindly to tell me how to save after altering system preferences? I'm using a dual display setup and everytime I restart or shutdown, my settings for the monitors are changed. The resolution on the second monitor is changed, and the arrangement is also changed.

If someone can tell me how to save my settings on systeme preferences that would be great.

Thanks.
Somehow I don't think saving system preferences is the real issue here, since any changes made in System Preferences are auto-saved once made. Something else is wrong, but I don't know what, since I don't use a dual-monitor setup.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....as said, system prefs should auto-save so you have another issue here. Try the obvious things first - repair permissions. And make another user and see if the problem exists for other user accounts or just yours....you may just have a corrupt pref file.....oh yeah!

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
KVM?

Are you running your displays through any kind of splitter/converter or KVM switch? I use a KVM here (to use both my PC and my PowerMac with one monitor, keyboard and PS/2 trackball mouse -- it's really hard to find a USB version of the one I like since it's not mfg'd anymore) and if I startup the Mac while the display is set to the PC, it resets to lowest common denominator for the display. I have to go into System Prefs and tell it to "detect displays".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.