Saving webpage as PDF - scrollable vs. multiple pages?

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by bgrace, Oct 14, 2017.

1. bgrace macrumors regular

When I save a webpage as a PDF using the “Create PDF” from the share sheet, it creates a long, scrollable PDF without page breaks. Is there a way to save a webpage as a PDF with multiple pages?

Just wondering - does anyone like the way it currently creates webpage PDFs as one scrollable page?

2. lexvo macrumors 65816

For pages use the print option of the share sheet. When you see the print example, zoom in and them you can save as a multi page PDF.

3. bgrace thread starter macrumors regular

Didn’t know about that, thanks! I wonder why a single scrollable page is the default for “Create PDF.”

4. lexvo macrumors 65816

You’re welcome. And I hadn’t seen the option to save as a single page (and last week I was looking for such an option :) )

5. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Is this ability to Print as PDF in iOS only possible if the site admin presented a "print" button on that webpage?

6. lexvo macrumors 65816

As far as I know, the print option is always available on the share sheet. After you choose print on the share sheet you see a print example. It is necessary to zoom in/enlarge this print example to get the PDF which can be saved then.
    It is explained here:
    http://osxdaily.com/2017/04/17/save-as-pdf-iphone-ipad-gesture/

7. DeepIn2U, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017

DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Great tip BUT unfortunately ... at least for every iPhone I've owned since iOS 7: iPhone 5S x2, iPhone 6, iPhone 6S x3(32/128/64GB), iPhone 7 (current 256GB with LOTS of free space) this method has never worked. First, of course 'Select a Printer' is looking for an actual printer with bluetooth (I don't own one), and using Pinch-to-Zoom just opens up a preview. From the source in your link quoted above ... I do NOT have the bottom left-hand Share Sheet option.

[​IMG]

Instead I get the following:

A) original share sheet to create a PDF
    Which then allows me to create standard PDA and save to Files

B) original share sheet to Print where I pinch zoom in and the share sheet icon is on the top right hand corner. I think this has changed even more in iOS 11.0.3

Attached Files:

8. lexvo macrumors 65816

You don’t have to select a printer. Just pinch to zoom in. On iOS 11 the share sheet icon is top right (or at least on my iPhone 5s and iPad Air 2). In the share sheet I can save the PDF to several apps, including Files.