Saw a itouch at bestbuy with about 4 more icons than mine. How do you add these?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by elvtnedge, Nov 25, 2007.

1. elvtnedge macrumors regular

Just like the title said, I was at bestbuy today and someone was using the ipod touch that was on demo and just walking by they had the main window up but I saw 4-5 more icons than what comes standard. I was just wondering how you to this. This unit couldnt of had jailbreak on it especially since its a demo. I don't know what the apps or icons were I just know there were more.

Im referring to the screen that when you load the itouch up, you see, safari, youtube, settings, calculator etc.

thanks

2. FatalShot macrumors newbie

If there was wifi in the store than it actually could've been jailbroken.

3. skir0987 macrumors regular

Are you sure it wasn't an iPhone? If it was definetely an iPod Touch (with FW 1.1.1) then it could be jailbroken. If it was 1.1.2 then... that would be weird.

Shep

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yep, its very easy to do. Probably easier than implementing the official SDK will be!

5. elvtnedge thread starter macrumors regular

it was at a best buy in Vaughan which is in Ontario, Canada... no iphones here as of yet..

is there a way to make bookmars appear on that front page?? maybe that is what it was?

I doubt it was jail broken...

any ideas?

6. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

No, there is no way "out of the box" to add icons to the Touch home screen.

Why would you doubt it was jailbroken? Assuming the iPod on display was running firmware 1.1.1, jailbreaking it would take all of 30 seconds. Literally all you need to do is fire up Safari and point it to jailbreakme.com. Best Buys generally have an active WiFi access point, so it's absolutely possible. After being jailbroken, one would only need to spend another minute or two playing with the Installer.app (automatically installed when you visit the jailbreak website) to download a few programs, which would add icons to your home screen.

Come to think of it, next time I go to Best Buy, I'll see about jailbreaking their Touches! ;)

7. elvtnedge thread starter macrumors regular

ya I guess you're right... if there was no way to add them right outta the box then it must be jailbroken. I would have liked to see what there was but this kid was playing around on it showing his dad.. This is the same kid that butt infront of me when I was showing my wife the GPS units...damn buggar!! lol

8. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Heh.

I went to Future Shop this evening and found a display model iPod Touch running 1.1.1. You guessed it, by the time I left the store, it was jailbroken, had a custom app launcher with a colourful Leopard theme, and had Google Maps installed and pointing to the street maps of where the store is located. :D

9. elvtnedge thread starter macrumors regular

and how long did this take you?

obviously I can assume that if you jailbreak the ipod touch it voids the warranty correct?

Also I have seen some people have google maps or something with GPS... you must need wifi to access the GPS part correct? it doesnt run like a regular GPS unit does it?

10. dorg360 macrumors newbie

it is not a iphone so it cant be connected at all times, to use GPS you would have to find a hotspot. Google map the location from where you currently are, and then keep it on and just follow it, but it will not update or show you moving just give you directions.

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Took about 5-10 minutes. The longest part was waiting for the various software bits to download, but they're all between 100K to a meg or so. As for warranty, Apple probably will frown if you bring in a hacked Touch and ask for service, but you could always restore it to 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 and it'd be like factory new.

These units were display models and will probably get treated like crap before Future Shop eventually sells or disposes of them, so there should be no issue there. :)

As for Google Maps, it works just like it does on your computer -- no GPS, no position-finding, but you tell it where you want to look and start zooming around. What is nice is that there is a pretty good cache so you can still browse a little bit even without being connected to WiFi (say while you're driving).

12. elvtnedge thread starter macrumors regular

is jailbraking it pretty safe? I use the touch for mp3s and go on the net when I can. If there is anyway I can ruin this thing then I wont do it. I might not even use the other available apps once I have them on.

its more of a curious thing... but Im worried about downgrading from 1.12 to 1.11 and then jailbrake it..

is it safe?

13. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I have no firsthand knowledge to answer your question but others have downgraded successfully, and I've read that even if you somehow make a mistake and mess up the firmware, you can always recover it. In other words, you cannot truly "brick" your iPod Touch permanently.

Don't take my word for it, but that's what I've read.

As I said, I found the process extremely simple. But as you said, if you have no use for third party or iPhone apps, then don't worry about it. Apple will be providing an official solution in a few months anyway.

14. itoucher363 macrumors newbie

how do u jailbreak the ipod like you did to add more icons?

15. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

I downgraded with no issues, and have had to reinstall firmware only once, and it was because I deleted a vital file. Point is, it's real tough to kill the touch.