Sawmill Fire: trying to fix stupid

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
this is some prime stupid

Tannerite is a fun toy: you shoot it with a gun and it goes boom! A man set up a large target full of tannerite and blue powder, as a strange way to reveal to friends/family the gender of the new baby. When the target blew up in a fireball, the desert grass around it caught fire, ultimately burning 47,000 acres near Tucson. In the video at the link, he can be heard shouting, “Pack up! We gotta get out of here!”

A court has ordered him to come up with $100,000 right now, and then pay $500 a month for the next 20 years. To me, it sounds like he got off easy, but the new child may not have the life dad hoped to give him.

Reactions: jkcerda

Herdfan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2011
Ok, as the board resident redneck, I have shot a lot of Tannerite and it has never shown any fire. Had to be an off brand as Tannerite brand has not ability to spark. Some of the cheaper brands have other additives than can spark.

Reactions: jkcerda

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Ok, as the board resident redneck, I have shot a lot of Tannerite and it has never shown any fire. Had to be an off brand as Tannerite brand has not ability to spark. Some of the cheaper brands have other additives than can spark.
I agree with you. In fact I wonder if Tannerite might even be able to put out a small fire within its blast radius.

However, it could have been the blue powder igniting. Powder/dust/particulate explosions look very flammable to me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_explosion#Mechanism
1280px-Dust_explosion_02.jpg

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
I'd confiscate the guys guns as well, if you're that stupid firearm ownership isn't something for you.
[doublepost=1543432358][/doublepost]
Gender reveal parties need to die.
Agreed. Our gender reveal was me handing my parents the Ultrasound. I have two boys and it was very obvious what they were. Now everyone go out and buy blue ****.

Last edited:

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Having to pay $220,000 is not getting off easy in my book.
That is effectively ones retirement savings.

At least he immediately called for help and no injury reported or buildings destroyed

I fine with less $, but in combination with 20 years of volunteer fire crew and community service raking leaves. ;)