Say bye bye to AT&T unlimited data if you get the iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by enohpi addict, Mar 19, 2011.

1. enohpi addict macrumors newbie

AT&T is doing away with the unlimited data plan on any change to an account whatsoever....... A sales rep told me via phone that when it comes time to sign the new 2 year contract for the iPhone 5 there will be no unlimited data option for anyone that signs/renews a contract :mad:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

While that may be true, I will wait to hear an official announcement
    I am not questioning your conversation, but one random sales rep does not a policy make

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

There is no guarantee that there will be an iPhone 5, not until Apple formerly releases one. Until then is is mere speculation.

While it certainly is possible that AT&T may take the route you describe, I will only believe it when/if it actually happens. Right now AT&T is going to great lengths with many customers to retain them by offering them unlimited plans and offering to reinstate past unlimited plans. It would be a shame on them to do that and then a few months later when/if the next iPhone comes out for AT&T to pull that rug out from them.

4. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

There's a simple solution. Buy an iPhone for retail and tell AT&T to shove it.

5. fedup flyer macrumors regular

That makes absolutely no sense.
    Even if you buy retail phone in the US it is still locked to that carrier.

6. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

You can get unlimited data if you buy an iPhone without a contract?

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I think it's a safe bet there will be.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I too, expect that there will be, but let's not count the chickens before they hatch. :)

9. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

You're not counting on a DUAL CORE A5 - you're counting on Apple's revolutionary product. Pretty sure they are still making the iPod Classic. It would be an extremely bold move not to release an iPhone 5.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yes, but if you read the OP's post clearly, it said if you sign a new contract. Buying an iPhone for full price wouldn't require you to sign a new contract, thus wouldn't require you to change your plan.

I don't believe the sale rep. AT&T wants to get as many people off the unlimited plan as possible, even though they are still grandfathering the unlimited plans. They won't admit it, but its pretty obvious.

The rep. is partially correct. Even now, if you sign a new contract, you have to chose from a tiered plan. But if you renew one, you can keep your unlimited data. Maybe he just screwed up.

11. Howdr macrumors regular

Howdr

:confused: If that was true then why did they renew my Iphone Unlimited just 2 weeks ago? when I upgraded to Iphone4?

:confused:

Reps are full of it at times.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

While I agree this is doubtful until confirmed, you should work on your reading comprehension.

13. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

And piss off people that have been loyal for this long? Doubtful. They will just not offer it, like they have been, and let the grandfathered accounts continue.

14. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

What makes no sense? Since I purchased the phone independently I would be able to keep my unlimited plan without actually touching my contract and giving up my unlimited data.

15. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I seriously doubt that's true.

They risk losing too many customers that way.

If the iPhone 5 required a new type of data plan "4G," it would make sense that you couldn't switch the plan over. As long as next iPhone is 3G I don't see this happening.

16. Howdr macrumors regular

Howdr

I read "Iphone 5" but the service contract is the service contract not the phone.......... Jeesh is everyone uptight at Mac rumors these days?...........

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if at&t does this, but until they announce it I'll take this rumor with a rather large grain of salt.

18. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I really hope this doesn't happen nor do I see it happening. It's just another "rumor."

19. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

never gonna happen ...

your rep lies ...

you should know better ...

20. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

AT$T may have done that prior to Verizon but now I think they will be more careful about what they do and how they do it.

21. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Do you have concrete proof to claim this?

No.

22. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Whether this is true or not, I plan on just giving my wife my 4 after we get the 5 for her and then switching sim cards.

23. aneftp macrumors 68040

Guys and Gals, I wouldn't believe any AT$T Rep. Maybe it's a hard sell by the company to try to "trick" people who have unlimited to switch over to "tiered data plan"

My brother upgraded to an Moto Atrix and kept arguing with the rep when the rep asked him if he wanted to get the $25 or $15 data plan. He's got the unlimited grandfathered $30 iphone data plan. Immediately my brother called 611 from his own iphone 4 and the ATT customer service rep over rided the in store corp. ATT store agent and told my brother could keep the unlimited data when upgrading to the Atrix. The Atrix sucked and my brother returned it 2 days later...that's another story.

It's a complete joke.

I think ATT is trying to train all their agents to be like robots and push the tiered data. Until corp policy changes, you will still get to keep your unlimited data plans when upgrading even to an HSPA plus phone.

24. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

25. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

At some point, AT&T will end the unlimited plan, imo.

I never thought it would be right now though nor do I think it will end for the iPhone 5. I do think after that AT&T will do their best to come up with a way to end it.

But listen, I have unlimited and LOVE IT so if I am wrong and they keep letting us use it, I would love that