Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TroubleMaker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2002
We all know that there is no iWalk. It was a lame hoax, ha, ha. Besides sloppily doctored video, it lacked a believable name.

We also know that Apple likes to follow consistent naming conventions:

iMac --> PowerMac
iBook --> PowerBook

Therefore:
iPod --> PowerPod

Makes sense, right? The "i" version is the fun consumer model; the "Power" version is for professionals. I believe that Apple won't make Steve-O a liar by releasing a PDA as he vowed they wouldn't -- instead they'll do what Apple does best and invent a whole new category of computing device.

The more recent rumors of a hard drive based handheld from Apple ring more right. Apple reinvigorated the MP3 player market by going from flash-style memory to hard drives -- they'll do the same with "PDAs" (for lack of a "Different" term).

The recent pieces of the puzzle to consider are the upcoming iCal and iSync software. Jobs is more isolationist than Bush. He wants to move us away from Microsoft* entirely and Palm, too. Why not? They never really supported us, anyway. Why else were they so slow to support Mac OS X (Palm Desktop and Entourage Conduit)? Should we really believe that iCal was made just to put appointments on our iPods while iSync supports someone else's PDAs and all of our Bluetooth phones?

With Linux now running on PDAs, is it such a leap to see Mac OS X in your hand? Should we really believe that there was such a demand from graphic artists reluctant to type that Apple would integrate Handwriting Recognition right into the very core of the OS just for them?

Wouldn't you love to have iTunes & iPhoto with you wherever you go? Wouldn't Steve want you to show all of your Windows friends and coworkers, too?

Thoughts?

------------------
*Watch, too, for iWeb -- let's get rid of the last M$ app -- watch 10.2 for your back, forward, refresh, and home buttons, already in place in the Finder.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
If that were true we would soon see:

PowerTunes
PowerMovie (Final Cut Pro, but with a different name)
PowerPhoto
PowerDVD (DVD Studio Pro, but with a different name)
PowerChat

EDIT: Forgot PowerCal

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Oh, dear Chris. (No offense to anyone here named Chris.) Haven't we seen enough of this?

iPod is hardware. Where have you seen Apple software go from iSomething to PowerSomething?

I still question the idea of a PowerPod. If that is like a PDA, then how much would it cost? If the i-line is cheaper, I wouldn't want to pay $900 for a PDA. :rolleyes: :p

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago
forget PowerPod, I want no more pods shaped like a deck of cards in my pocket. Instead I would like to see an apple branded sony clie running a lite version of os x (i just wet myself) with MacMame fully supported (who has roms that are Mac compatible?) with itunes and quicktime, 802.11, bluetooth,10-40gb hard drive, firewire 2 interface backwards compatible with 1, and dispose of the memory stick slot (or keep it for some strange reason?). Throw iCal a i Sync in and your good to go.

unclepain

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2002
Va Beach VA
I got your back..

OK troublemaker- I'll back you on this one. Regardless of what the name of such a device would be, I think you have very valid points about some of the things we are seeing integrated into the OS. It's kind of like this... I feel that at this time, we are just starting to see the outside portions of the puzzle being built and slowly we will start to see the inside picture revealing itself as more pieces are put into place. Something cool is in the middle of that picture and whatever that turns out to be- you me and everyone else on this board is gonna sell a kidney just so we can afford to buy whatever it turns out to be. Will it be a PDA? Not likely. Will it be something small, powerful, beautiful and cause everyone of us here to techno-lust over it? Without question. I just find it hard to believe that with the whirlwind of excitement that gets generated in the mac community anytime some new "evidence" is brought out that some kind of wonder handheld device is in the making, that Apple would just turn up its nose at such demand. I dunno guys- true or not, I bet most of us wish it were.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
wow these Apple PDA rumors/theories get lamer by the day.

How is what you describe not a PDA??? A PDA with a hard drive is still a PDA, the last time I checked.

PDAs are a dying breed. There's nothing really compelling about them, other than the gadget factor. Phones--everyone needs phones. Music--everyone needs music. But PDAs???

The only way PDAs will survive is if a) they merge with the phone in which case they're just suped-up phones, and b) if they merge with a music/video player in which case they're just suped-up music players.

Figure out something people truly need on a daily basis--toilet paper comes to mind--and merge it with a PDA. Now, you have a winner.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I'm with the majority here (surprising, eh? ;))

sorry...but it's a terrible idea...it's drawn out....and most people are over it...or so I think....

anyway...enough with my rant...I'm trying to give up on the crusade to free u guys of "Apple PDA-itis" :rolleyes: :eek: :D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by dongmin
Figure out something people truly need on a daily basis--toilet paper comes to mind--and merge it with a PDA. Now, you have a winner.

They've already done that, it's a class of products called PocketPCs.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
i made this same exact post a few months ago and was abused heavily and laughed off the page. so on that note...hahahahaha! no way! just kidding. i still think it's possible.

machagheid

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2002
Scotland
product nomenclature

iFud
iOU
iTieDye
iSore
iAnus
iAm
iWoz
iDid
iDud
iDooed
iDude
iDowahdiddydiddy
iShadow
iRememberU
iFieldFrank
iBeans
iReallydontgivea
iNeedabreak
iFeel (Tower?)
iGonad
iGor
iGon

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
Originally posted by King Cobra
If the i-line is cheaper, I wouldn't want to pay $900 for a PDA.

My Newton MP 120 cost nearly $900 new, and let me tell you, it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Still have it too, but unfortunately, the batteries don't hold a charge. Other than that, it's great for a nine year old PDA. Maybe a $900 Apple PDA (Newton syle, but without all the bulk) wouldn't be such a bad thing. However, Uncle steve has already expressed his disdain towards PDA's of any sort, so don't freakin' count on it.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I still find $900 ridiculous.

Take a look at the Palm OS handhelds. Even the top model m505 when introduced with Palm OS 4.0 etc. cost some $500 or so. The iPod, before it came out, was expected to hold a price range of $250 to $350 (MacOSRumors). We got $400 for the 5GB version and $500 for the 10GB version.

I would be skeptical of the price, especially since the iPod just acted as an mp3 player and a Hard Drive. Granted, the Hard Drives cost a lot, but if the price gets too high ($700, $800, etc.) I think it would take a lot of convincing for someone to purchase a PDA around that price range. Sure, it's got all these features, but a PDA can only go so far. Even a PDA with all these features at $700 + I think would be cutting it REAL close to the price limit, maybe too close. I'm sure some would be willing to pay up to $600, since $500 is what some are paying for their iPod, a basic version of a PDA (especially with OS 1.2).

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by crazy_will

My Newton MP 120 cost nearly $900 new, and let me tell you, it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Still have it too, but unfortunately, the batteries don't hold a charge. Other than that, it's great for a nine year old PDA. Maybe a $900 Apple PDA (Newton syle, but without all the bulk) wouldn't be such a bad thing. However, Uncle steve has already expressed his disdain towards PDA's of any sort, so don't freakin' count on it.

I have a Newton 2100 and this thing is amazing. Four years since it's demise, Apple could simply relaunch it in a new case with a colour screen and it would still make peoples mouth water. The speed and accuracy of handwriting recognition is amazing, add it's full email, web browsing, ftp and telnet capability etc.. and you see what a real star product it is, certainly far greater than any PDA out there at the moment.

Pity Steve Jobs isn't man enough to forget is differences with John Sculley. The Newton harks back to the day when Apple really did inovate. Now they pack dated technology into trendy boxes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.