Say, I didn't know Obama is planning on having his critics guillotined!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Just yesterday I suggested we might want to rethink our propensity for granting near-total free speech to the insane and to propagandists. And lo and behold:

As I said yesterday, I'm really struggling for a basis on which to defend this kind of free speech. Inciting false panic via TV, radio or the internet -- whether it's death panels, brainwashing camps or guillotines -- how is this not the same thing as yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater?

And can we just let this keep going on forever?

2. stevegmu macrumors regular

Perhaps the UFO believers should also be silenced. Seems they could also cause a panic...

3. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

And you wonder why no one takes you or your kind seriously. :rolleyes:

4. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

They're "Re-Education Camps"... lots of countries have them... I don't see what the big deal is here.

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Heath care reform should be no problem at all after organising all this in such a short time.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Pity they couldn't get it right the first time.

7. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

It's dangerous people who believe this kind of nonsense that makes Freedom of Speech so important. Let them openly spout their crap and let the FBI continue to clandestinely monitor them. Remove their Freedom of Speech and you could provide the catalyst for another Oklahoma bomber.

8. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't know if they still do, but the FCC used to have the power to revoke a network's license for just cause, such as Fox's consistent pattern of lies.

But I could easily see someone like Dick Cheney using the same power against, say, McClatchy or Newsweek for reporting about rendition of terrorists. You could have eyewitnesses, people who work for the CIA, who'd swear that the newspapers are reporting the truth, but Cheney would merely say the witnesses are lying, and continue to wrap up his critics.

That's why this is such a goddamn hard issue to do anything about.

I think the biggest problem is that the genie has been let out of the bottle, and there's no way to get him back in. Hate speech is so prevalent now, so widely-believed on the right, that any attempt to stifle it, no matter how legal, is seen by the right as proof that their zany conspiracy theories are correct. And so it just goes on, and continues to get worse.

At the moment our best weapon may be mockery, be it from Jon Stewart, Rachel Maddow, or whoever. Marginalizing these people by making them look like the idiots they are can be fairly effective.

I have to admit, though, I wish there were something more punitive than simple mockery. I just don't know what that would be.

The next time Fox tries to undermine public policy debate with a UFO story, you let me know, okay?

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! OMG! This is abolutely priceless! Keep going wackjobs! We'll never have another Republican president again! We definitely need more of this kind of stuff floating around. This is AWESOME. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

im amazed at those who think free speech should be limited due to it allowing for some to speak freely, even if false

how about we just abandon the Bill of Rights all together if they don't fit ones views

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Saying something that you know to be false that defames another people is libellous. And technically it is illegal in the US. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

By all means- let them speak. They do themselves no favors. I love it.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Government waste makes me sick. What the hell do we need the caskets for?

14. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I suspect this is part of a viral spam campaign by guillotine makers.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I know right?! What a waste of tax dollars :p

16. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

It seems to me that investing more in education is the only real way to heal the quality of discourse in this country. In this case, helping people understand what is the function of the government, different types of government, the rationale behind each. Anyone with suffrage should have taken at some point in their lives a good course in comparative politics and government.

Education is necessary if we are to take responsibility for our rights both fundamental and American.

17. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

What makes you think that hate speech is something used and believed so widely on the right but not on the left? You didn't say so, but are you trying to make a case that this crap is propagated by the republican party? If you are, then perhaps we should dredge up some of the hate speech coming from the left wing conspiracy theorists and then say this represents the views of democrats.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I agree 100%. Education is our best weapon against most of the things wrong with this country.

I'd love for this country to have free continued education, but our politicians continue to sit idly by the fact that we are rapidly losing our rankings in this regard.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

We should send these people to re-education camps. And by re-education camps, I mean middle school, because clearly, these dumbasses have never been there.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well, it seems to be the weapon of choice for one party, while not nearly as much by the other.

Care to take any guesses as to which party uses fear mongering and hate speech (seemingly almost all the time lately) to push its agenda forward (which at this point is "lets not change a thing!").

To suggest that the levels are even close to equal on the national level entirely disingenuous.

21. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

To be fair these same wackos were out there saying the same thing when Bush was president.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Please, do give us some examples that are comparable to this sludge.

Really? These same people?

23. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Tinned food, a thousand rounds of ammunition, a bunker in the mountain and the heartfelt belief that the Government are evil incarnate. Scary schizzle.

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Yes the same people.. I know because some of them lived a couple of miles from me when I lived on the Washington/Idaho border..

One of them even said a new airstrip being built about 5 miles from my house was being built so C-140 transport planes could land with "dissident/christian" prisoners and be transported to the camps.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Some of these wackos include Michelle Bachmann, and given the way she practically tried to dry hump George Bush as he walked into Congress to give the 2007 SOTU (you can look for a video if you want to burn your retinas) I don't think she would be saying this back then.