Say they update the MBP soon - buy one or wait further?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joefinan, Jan 16, 2008.

  1. joefinan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    Location:
    Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK
    #1
    I, like many others, am incredibly fed-up that there was no MBP update. But there's talk of a silent update in the next few weeks (processor upgrade etc.).

    If that happens, will you buy one? Or will you wait for a major update knowing now, as we've seen on the MBA, that it would include a new design, multi-touch trackpad, SSD options etc.?
     
  2. lbeaumont macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2007
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #2
    I am buying the next update, uni starts in six weeks. And if there is no update by then, I will either buy a current MBP or look at different laptops.
     
  3. samh004 macrumors 68020

    samh004

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2004
    Location:
    Australia
    #3
    I don't think the MBP will be getting a case redesign soon.
     
  4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

    neiltc13

    Joined:
    May 27, 2006
    #4
    The only difference I forsee in the next update is a revision to the keyboard which adds the media keys and rearranged dashboard control buttons etc which are found on the new MacBook and MacBook Air.
     
  5. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

    Twe Foju

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2007
    Location:
    Jakarta
    #5
    say they update the MBP soon

    so you should wait

    maybe the multi-touch trackpad will be added which could make the MBP a bit nice

    but other than that, no really a major update, and i dont think there will be a redesign for the MBP line
     
  6. Chronocento macrumors newbie

    Chronocento

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
    Location:
    Messina, Italy
    #6
    I'll wait until they put the Montevina platform, better GPU, and of course, multitouch :cool:
     
  7. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    Location:
    Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK
    #7
    Where have you heard about this Montevina business? Is that different to Penryn?
     
  8. Chronocento macrumors newbie

    Chronocento

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
    Location:
    Messina, Italy
    #8
  9. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

    dante@sisna.com

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2006
    #9
    Montevina is when things get exciting for the MBP next fall.
     
  10. jolton macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2006
    #10
    It'll be at least 6 months before they do any worthwhile updates to the MBP. The only exception would be the keyboard, due to Leopard, but that's it.
     
  11. desenso macrumors 6502a

    desenso

    Joined:
    May 25, 2005
    #11
    The wisest choice would be to wait for 5-7 years. They will definitely have changed the style by then, and the laptops will be way faster.

    In the mean time, I suggest a calculator and a pad of paper. Lighter and cheaper than the MacBook Air!
     
  12. plumpan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2008
    #12
    best advice yet : P
     
  13. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

    Twe Foju

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2007
    Location:
    Jakarta
    #13
    best advice this month

    lol, true man

    keep waiting until MWSF 2010 or so, im sure you can have a MBP that is like 5x faster then the current MBP :D
     
  14. sportsnut macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    Location:
    Michigan
    #14
    Don't buy until strangers on internet forums promise to pay for it.;)
     
  15. masse macrumors 6502a

    masse

    Joined:
    May 4, 2007
    Location:
    MA/GA
    #15
    If I buy the next update then it makes me a sucker for having gone a year without a macbook pro that I could have gotten at the same price with practically the same performance.

    I'm waiting for something good, or another company to turn me away from apple.
     
  16. tcador macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2008
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #16
    I'm not waiting anymore. I've made my decision to switch from PC to Mac about 6 months ago. After I waited until around Christmas, I told myself a few more weeks for Macworld. No more, I'm buying in the next 2-3 days!

    I figure anything is better than the Pentium M, 1GB ram I'm running now.
     
  17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #17
    So you're waiting or you're buying?

    To me the people who constantly wait to buy because they're concerned there will be an update are also the people who play Heroin Hero on a regular basis. :D
     
  18. sam1 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2007
    #18
    It seems likely that there will at least be a small bump anytime now, but I still went ahead and bought a MBP yesterday. I had wanted one since last January, but wasn't ready to purchase until later in the year. Then, I decided to wait a few months until MWSF for supposedly great updates. I'm very disappointed none were announced, but for me, the current 15 inch, 2.6GHz, 200GB HD is more than enough to fit my needs. The more I thought about it, the only update I really wanted was a better graphic card, but that seems unlikely anyway.

    My advice, if you really want/need it now and the current specs seem ample to you, go ahead and buy. If you're worried the current specs won't be enough for you in the near future, wait. However, besides a redesign/aesthetic changes, it's my understanding none of the speculated updates will significantly increase actual performance, especially for someone who, like myself, doesn't use many intensive applications. If a redesign is terribly important to you, you may be better off waiting, but there is no guarantee that a redesign is imminent. If you're worried the current specs aren't powerful enough to handle your current tasks, you may be better off not getting a MBP at all.

    Nobody wants to shell out thousands of dollars on a product that gets updated soon after, and I'll admittedly be aggravated that I didn't wait another month if it gets updated by then. However, I dig everything about my purchase and I see it doing everything necessary for the next few years.

    Just my two cents.
     
  19. nilocalling macrumors newbie

    nilocalling

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2007
    Location:
    Belgium
    #19
    If they update the MBP soon, let's say... before March 1st, then I would definitely. At least, that's what I'm going to do.
     
  20. kingtj macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2003
    Location:
    Brunswick, MD
    #20
    Good for you, I say!

    You're right.... you'll like anything Apple offers better than that Pentium M laptop w/1GB of RAM. I've used enough of those to know.

    I'm still using my original Macbook Pro (Core Duo model, not Core 2 Duo like they all have now), and over a year later, I'd still rather use this than any PC/Windows laptop I've come across. (Although I must admit, I ran into a couple Sony Vaio slim models I was pretty impressed with too.)

    I'm just now starting to consider reselling this one, and upgrading to a current model.... But then again, I really don't use my portable as a "primary" computer. I take it with me to work every day, and occasionally use it for web design needs we have here. (The PC on my desk has no decent web design software on it, and my work is too cheap to buy any. I'd rather use the Mac for that stuff anyway though. Too many good programs like Rapidweaver that have no Windows equivalent.)

    I used to use it for the occasional LAN gaming party (main reason I wanted a MB Pro vs. a Macbook.... gaming required the best video possible). But lately, the people I used to do that with have all moved, or just got too busy to do it anymore.

    Realistically, I could get *another* good 2 years of use out of this MB Pro, before feeling it was really "too slow" or "outdated".


     
  21. flukewurm macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2003
    #21
    i am holding out till the mbp gets rid of the mechanical latch. it HAS to happen. i just HAS TO! :'(
     
  22. gazfocus macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #22
    I was set on buying after the next upgrade but I'm not so sure now. I'm considering waiting until WWDC (when the Montevina chipset is released). I really don't know what to do :(
     
  23. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

    glocke12

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2008
    #23
    Id wait 5 years if I were you. By that time Apple will have released a product that has all the features you need. Or not?


    Seriously though, I dont get the point in waiting. The current MBP is an EXCELLENT machine. Sure it would be nice to have a magentic latch and the new multitouch trackpad, but are these worth waiting for ? Not really.....

    There is ALWAYS going to be some new, cool, more up to date piece of technology right around the corner that you'll want. Waiting is just pointless and stupid. Get it now and enjoy it while you can. Maybe tomorrow you won't be able to.
     
  24. gazfocus macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #24
    I'm actually not bothered about a redesign etc. Yeah the multi touch would be nice, but I actually like the design of the MacBook Pro.

    The upgrades I'm waiting for are CPU/GPU/HDD. The only thing that's really holding me back is the rumour of the new Montevina platform supporting a higher amount of RAM which would be nice.
     
  25. tanjacob macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2007
    #25
    Was thinking about Montevina too, but looked through what Montevina has to offer and I wasn't particularly impressed. Most of the promised stuff are immaterial to me so I'll settle for a Penryn with the alleged increase in battery life being the biggest attraction. I don't have time to wait for Nehalem.
     

Share This Page