SC Reporter Attacked by 4 people: possible racial motives

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by faintember, Mar 13, 2008.

1. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Article Link
    Youtube video link

In an interview with WORD radio the reporter says that the attackers were using various racial slurs, two of which she mentions are the "n" word and "black bitch". The WORD interview also does a good job of pointing out the timeline of events and placement of the people involved (the WSPA reporter/cameraman were on public property).

Also, South Carolina has no hate crime laws (who would have figured?:rolleyes:)

I originally saw this on the local news (two of the stations involved, WSPA and WYFF are the local CBS and NBC networks, respectively) and was pretty furious. Since the incident Ms. Brown has been interviewed on the CBS morning show and four people (3 women and 1 man) have been arrested in connection with the attack.

2. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Ech. How lovely.

Seems the gene pool could use a bit of chlorine, personally.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

My understanding was it was not racially motivated. There was a homicide that occurred and people close to the deceased were upset that their story was being reported. While they may have used racial slurs it had little to do with race.

4. faintember thread starter macrumors 65816

faintember

If you listen to the WORD interview Ms. Brown states that at the time of the attack WYFF reporters were also on the scene, and were on the same side of the road (maybe in the yard of one of the attackers that was also connected to the murder story). I just find it hard to believe, if it was not racially motivated that the attackers just happened to be yelling racist comments, and just happened to cross the street (ignoring the other reporters closer to their own property) and attack a black reporter and her black cameraman.

Was the beginning of the incident purely racially motivated? Probably not, as, like you mentioned, there was some tension regarding the reporting of a murder, however the attack was racially charged. I will edit the title to better portray the story.

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I still don't think it was but I suppose it could be. I just think that "racially motivated" is thrown around so much that people pay it little mind or get *way* hung up on it disregarding anything else. Just because two people of different skin tones get into an altercation doesn't mean race was involved all the time.

For all I know, prior to them attacking her she was being very invasive compared to other reporters around, the attackers may have been blind in their anger that the other reporters existed, or she may have looked a "weaker target" since her camera operator wasn't with her at that point. There are a ton of reasons it could have been and to latch onto race when it isn't clear just upsets people for possibly the wrong reason.

When things get overused, they lose their meaning so use things sparingly.

6. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Thanks OP for providing this story/links. I hadn't heard. I have to agree with SilentPanda, though. If they had chosen to use other hateful words, that weren't slurs, I doubt the interaction with the bereaved relatives would even be newsworthy. Having said that, rage (hate), fear, and perceived injustice are popular reasons for people to spew racial slurs. I think this situation was motivated by perceived injustice rather than bigotry. While I don't condone ever using racial slurs of any kind, for any reason, I think the spewers were aware of how powerful those types of words are, and used them deliberately to express their hysteria at the situation.

7. faintember thread starter macrumors 65816

faintember

Maybe digitalnicotine and SilentPanda are correct, just know I was not trying to sensationalize the story. I guess things that happen in your area are more apt to evoke a more emotional response.

Strangely enough one of the attackers, Billie Taylor, was interviewed today by WSPA (the channel the victims of the attack worked for). Taylor was the daughter of the murder victim that the original news segments/reporting were about. Here are some of her comments:

Article Link

From the first part of the quote, I take it the family of the murder victim didn't enjoy being told that the WSPA reporters were within their rights. I assume this was taken as an insult to the family. I just wonder if there is any more footage of events before that have not been released yet. I just don't see how "we have the right to be here" turns into fisticuffs and racial slurs.

I do partially believe Taylor as her apology seemed truthful to me, but her comments about slurs before the fight shows that either she does not listen well, was giving 2nd hand commentary or was lying. She stated that no slurs were said before the fight, yet she was not there from the beginning of the incident. Also if you watch the video she seems to be looking down, or away from the reporter while giving her comments about the racial slurs, which makes me a bit wary of the validity of her comments.

Either way, the story is making some waves in the media, and it may just be the catalyst for some form of hate crime legislation in South Carolina, which would be a good thing.

8. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

OP, I don't think you were trying to sensationalize this. The reporters who have picked it up since absolutely will, but that's typical hehe. Thanks for following up as well. I think it will be great if NC adapts an anti hate-crime law.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Yeah I'm not pointing the finger at you saying you're trying to sensationalize it... this is how it's been reported in about every journalistic article I've read too... journalists are bored. I wish we could go back to 6 o'clock news and that's it. If you're made to write a 1 page paper it's a lot more relevant than a paper that has to fill a dictionary up... although I guess dictionaries are pretty relevant... but you know what I mean! :)

10. faintember thread starter macrumors 65816

faintember

I do agree that, in some ways, there is just too much damn reporting (or too much time to fill with "reporting"). I still do believe that there was some racism involved in the incident, but the more I think about it the more I can see that there are some plot holes, so to speak. One of the things that got to me recently when I re-watched the video, was the man filming the fight with his camera phone instead of helping to break the fight up. Total class act right there!

11. sowillo14 macrumors regular

Good for who? Hate crime legislation sure hasn't curbed black on white crime.

12. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

It hasn't caused it or increased it either. Hate crime legislation is meant to protect all victims of hate crimes, not just one specific race. :confused:

13. faintember thread starter macrumors 65816

faintember

Hate crime laws deal with more than just "black on white" crime as they help to protect whites/blacks/hispanics/gays/lesbians/minorities/etc. I think there is an important distinction to be made between a criminal act bred out of some from of "need" and one bred out of blind hatred towards a group of people.