SC Republican wants to end public schools: Nothing ‘in the Bible about state educatio

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Apr 26, 2014.

1. steve knight, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2014

steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Besides him being a idiot and to understanding we don't live in biblical times and not everyone is a christian. Back then almost no one read or could do anything but simple math and the little but of teaching was to tech the family business for most people.
    of course he knows education kills religion and so he is afraid and thinks he has the right to force everyone to believe like he does. really why do such stupid people get elected? they don't represent their constituents they think they represent god.
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/...s-nothing-in-the-bible-about-state-education/

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I don't remember seeing anything in the bible about a Republican Party. Seems like a good reason to eliminate it.

3. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

Good one.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

As a Christian I am so sick of the "woe is me, my religious rights are being trampled" kind of "Christians".

Here is a super simple rule for all Christians to follow: Stop being an *******. Your flavor of Christianity should have zero negative effects on anyone else's life. Period. End of story.

Hiding science from kids: Negative effect.
    Telling kids homosexuality (or any sexuality type) is a sin: Negative effect (and incorrect).
    Shaming people for being human: Negative effect.
    Helping the homeless: Positive effect but I rarely see anyone doing it.

5. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

What he is telling them to do would be legal, it appears. South Carolina allows parents to decide to home school without any qualifications. (Georgia, as well) Is this a good course of action? No, I think the students would suffer badly. Very few parents are up to the task of educating their children. The truth is, it is the parent's job to educate the children now and they are doing a poor job of it for the most part even with the schools to guide them.

Citizens banding together can change things. Imagine if his call to action were heard and 25% of the students withdrew from the public schools. Some would say, "Oh well, more time for the other students." however, that doesn't take into account that they get funding based upon how many students are there.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Umm.. no it wouldn't be legal. It is the parent's option, not what he (the government) wants to feed down the peoples' throats. Isn't that thievery basis of the Republican/Conservatives political ideologies? Less government in the peoples' lives? Or is this just another bunch of hypocritical bollocks that they are spoon-feeding the gullible people that make up their base?

Oh.. never minding any 1st Amendment violation on the, since he is basing it off of a given religion to begin with. An absolute idiot, this guy is.

BL.

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

While sending kids to church for an education obviously won't benefit them too much, state-run schools haven't exactly been a runaway success -- especially in the U.S. The literacy rate in Massachusetts just prior to the sate schools being implemented was about 98%, and has since fallen to 91%. In 1900 the overall illiteracy rate for the U.S was 10.7%, which doubled to 20.7 by 1933 under state-schools [source]. Kids getting pulled out of school and into home-schooling won't miss out on a whole lot, really.

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Hold on, it is legal for people to home school in South Carolina. What would make it illegal? He isn't telling people that they have to do it. He's not asking for a law. He's making a suggestion that parent's who are of one faith choose to home school their children. I don't agree with doing it but I can't see how it would be illegal.

9. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

And then schools get less funding, they start to fail at a higher rate, and he gets to point at it and say that the government can't do anything right. This is standard practice from Republicans.

10. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I question those statistics. I went to your link but there's no mention of the methodology behind that study. They talk about literacy among men and women, but the results are invalid as an argument against the public schooling system if there's no filter. As an obvious example, if a 30-year old man emigrates from a country in which he never learned to read or write, or from which they used a non-Roman writing system, then he would be counted as illiterate... and yet he would have never touched the public school system. Then there's also a question about literacy standards. The page you linked to mentions other studies, some dating back as far as 1650. I would guess that the standard to be considered literate in 1650 was different from the standards that we have today (possibly more difficult, possibly easier, but different).

11. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I didn't say that I support it. What I've said is that if a group were to start home schooling, as is their right in South Carolina, it could cause the school to reevaluate their position on certain issues. So could getting like minded people elected to the school board. I don't see anything illegal with it.

12. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I'm just pointing out what this is really about. You just happened to help me get to that point, so I quoted what helped me. It's why they put the huge burden on the USPS, larger than any private company has to deal with. The Republican Party seems to want to break the government to prove it doesn't work.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I think we should eliminate the government funding of politicians (churches and private association can donate to pay them), fire departments, poilce departments, the FDA, the armed forces, the State department (tough luck if you are overseas), etc..... :rolleyes:

14. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Folks on the left used to complain about this back in the 60's, and, more recently, people on the right with the rise of the "Christian" home-schooling movement. But, then as now, I find statistically valid studies rather unlikely. Until the 1960's, people with various disabilities were often practically invisible and unlikely to be included in any sample. I'm guessing that the WWII draft/Army records are the first time that valid tests were available, with the size of the excluded sample (disabilities classified as "4F" I assume) available.

I will say this, though. (Anecdote.) Way back when, 8th grade was where a lot of kids topped out, and high school was for those who wanted to be more educated and even maybe go to college. I have some old family materials, and what I have seen strongly suggests that high school students then were taught to write, and, on average, did write much better than kids today do.

15. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Clayton County, Georgia public school district is the 5th largest school district in Georgia and ranks in the top 100 largest school systems nationwide. In 2008 this school district was the first in more than a decade to lose its accreditation anywhere in the country. Suddenly the neighboring school districts saw an increase in student transfers as parents withdrew their students from the failing school district. Some enrolled using an aunt's address, some actually moved. It caused a complete reevaluation of the school district.

Now, the school district is claiming and Politifact agrees that they have achieved some very high milestones. Parents can effect change. If a group of parents want a school system changed, they alone have that power, by making a choice.

A Georgia School System Loses Its Accreditation

Clayton schools claim high status - Politifact Georgia

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wait, they're proud that 100% of their teachers know what they're teaching? That seems like a basic requirement, not something to crow about.

17. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

It's amazing how many schools not just in the south do not have teachers that meet those three standards. They are not actually required to have all teachers on staff with a bachelor's degree or higher.

18. mactastic, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014

mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If they want advanced degrees, they need to pay for them. The typical "incentive" here is a 2% pay increase. Not worth it.

Edit: Also, iirc, schools were required to have all highly qualified teachers as of 2006. Part of NCLB.

19. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Not quite... Like with any other rule they made exceptions or flexibility.

New No Child Left Behind Flexibility: Highly Qualified Teachers

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I never said I didn't support homeschooling. In fact, I support it 100%. However, you miss my point.

My point is that he issuing his position as a candidate for Lt. governor, which if he wins, would do the same thing as Lt. governor. He is using his position, which would be the government bully pulpit, to end public schools, and enroll the kids in either home school, or a faith-based/parochial school, because there is nothing in the Bible about state-run education.

Again. This is the government getting into people's lives; something against the biggest principle the Republican party holds dear, or is supposed to hold dear. Whatever happened to getting the government out of their lives? If he is running for State office, he becomes the government, and would be doing the very thing his party is completely against.

Never mind the fact that we live under the principle of separation of church and state, which is supported by the 1st Amendment of our Constitution. So at the very least, ending public schools would be illegal. Speaking of, what about those who aren't in a Christian-based religion? Leave them out in the dark? are they heretics? What do you do with them, especially if they are not only members of his base, but residents of that state?

Parents doing this on their own is one thing; a candidate for office, or who holds office is another. This is the latter, which crosses that separation line.

BL.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So they complied with the law's minimum requirements, and they deserve a cookie? :confused:

And what of the lack of financial incentive to get those advanced degrees they so crave?

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Religious conservatives are going to turn the U.S. into the Western version of the Middle East if we let them.

23. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

24. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I do not believe you lose your Freedom of Speech because you choose to run for an office.

Clayton County lost the accreditation and people were moving their kids to neighboring school districts. The less kids in school, the less funding.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm just noting that they're crowing about complying with a federal law. I know that's not always in vogue in certain political circles, but still... good for them. It's not easy to turn a district around.