Scaled Resolution on an external 4k monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by semihat, Jul 5, 2017.

1. semihat macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a new MBP and a new LG 4K external display. The monitor is 27" and I found that I needed to use scaled resolution of 2560 x 1440 to be productive.

Under system report, the OS is showing the resolution as 2560 x 1440 rather than 4k. Is that the scaled resolution or the actual resolution the monitor is now running at?

Since I need to be at 2560 x 1440, is there even a point in having this 4k display? Should I return it and get something cheaper?

Thanks.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Can the display also run "in 4k" (i.e., in HiDPI mode)?

If it can, I'm guessing that you're telling us that you -prefer- 2560x1440?

IF that's the case, the choice whether to return it or not is yours to make.

We can't make it for you.

3. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

4k does not scale well to 2560x1440. That would be a 5k monitor to scale that resolution well. To run at true 4k, you will need a minimum of a 32" monitor, otherwise some screen elements get too small. Many can be adjusted within the UI of each program, but some will still be small. I use a 32" at 4k, and have made most things work, but sometimes I have to lean forward and use the reading part of my bifocals. I think 36"-40" is going to be the sweet spot for true 4k, with a good (high) pixel density.