Scam or not ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by galaxy121, Nov 30, 2009.

1. galaxy121 macrumors member

So I put my basically still new macbook pro on craigslist to sell because I just got one of the new imacs and I got a potential buyer. I just want to know what everyone thinks and see if this could be a scam or not. I talked to him online and he sounded legit. He even talked as if he knows my school and people who went there. We agreed on a deal on the phone and he said he will email me the terms of our agreement. He vetted out from me on the basis of that I had his phone number and I have talked to him on the phone atleast 3 times now so I know he isnt using a fake number.

The buyer emailed me this

I again talked to him today and asked him how a COD transaction will work since i have never been involved with one before. He explained that when FedEx comes to pick up the package, that I will get paid on the spot for my macbook to get shipped. Now can any other macrumor members diagnose this for me as a scam or not ?

2. psingh01 macrumors 65816

If you're the one shipping....shouldn't it be you setting up the COD? Does FedEx even do COD? I know UPS does.

You need to be getting his contact and shipping information not that other way around. Heh...I'd call fedex and see how they pay and what guarantees you have on the money you get. Is it a check backed by fedex? If you get the money first then you are safe so long as a check doesn't bounce or something lol

3. Husker macrumors newbie

4. galaxy121 thread starter macrumors member

Well he told me his company has a corporate account with FedEx so I will be getting the payment and they will then collect the macbook

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There is a reason you shouldn't be doing shipping deals on Craigslist. Too many ifs and maybes.

6. felt. macrumors 6502a

7. galaxy121 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I dont think that I will be going through it. Something just isnt right.

8. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Him laying out the terms sounds pretty legit and perhaps is just him trying to cover his own ass... that is until he brings up the shipping part.

You never know. This could be legitimate, but I wouldn't bet $1050 on it. Not worth the stress or the risk. Getting a slightly better selling price for the item is not worth risking a thousand dollars over. Just politely turn down the offer, and know that you made the right decision.

I've been scammed/almost scammed too many times and I hate to see it happen to other honest people.

9. caonimadebi macrumors regular

This is a probable scam just because the price ($1050) is above the market value, in addition to the shipping and COD. Because you can buy the low-end MBP for just ~$1100 from reputable sellers online, your MBP should go for no more than 1000 with a reasonable/legitimate buyer.
    Deal locally, with cash, and list a price that you'll be willing to lower.

10. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

11. galaxy121 thread starter macrumors member

well he sent me a shipping label that has both tracking numbers on it and the amount for the COD and I did call FedEx and it sounded legit so I am in a crossroad now. I made sure that I called FedEx before calling him back and spoke to another representative and everything seemed fine.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Why don't you read this?

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

Is there any reason people are not noticing the obvious? It's a SCAM.

Phone: ever heard of $10 / $20 disposable phones?

13. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

Fed Ex confirmed that they would pay you upon their receipt of the laptop? Gotta say I do not believe it.....

Good Luck. :rolleyes:

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

the whole point of craigslist is to do face to face transaction to avoid the scams. Don't even think of sending.

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

16. panthro macrumors newbie

Imho

Hello there:

Craiglists is for face to face transactions,maybe FEDEX can assure you they pay. Avoid to all cost runing into a deal, full of legal gibberish. Always stick with your gut feeling. And remenber: If sounds too good...Upfront money also can do magic with most fraudulent schemes!:cool:

17. galaxy121 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I have decided not to go for it. Everything seems right, but my gut feeling is saying no.

18. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

its a scam, sorry.

The COD or money order or whatever will be fake account.

Its an old scam, think the first time I saw it was 5+ years ago?

FWIW, you can get a brand new 2.26 13" MBP for $1050.