Scammed on eBay (?) + Advice on where to buy Macbook Pro to be delivered by Saturday

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Brandon263, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Brandon263 macrumors 6502

I bought this 15" Macbook Pro on eBay last week Friday, and the douche-bag seller "luctonenterprises" hasn't contacted me about the sale or provided any shipping information.

There is a similar seller "luctontechnologies", also with 100% positive feedback, who sold a similar item but never shipped it to the buyer.

I've been trying to contact "luctonenterprises" by e-mail and telephone since last Friday, but haven't received a response. Am I screwed?

I already paid the $1599 by Paypal and I'm flying to the UK for school next week Monday. I filed a claim with Paypal, but they say they take up to 30 days to resolve the dispute. Is there a way to hurry the process?

Also, is there any place I can buy a 15" Macbook Pro for around $1700 that will be delivered on or before Saturday? Apple Store UK doesn't sell refurbished laptops, and I'm not sure the US store will deliver the 2.4GHz by Saturday.

2. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

PayPal sometimes resolves disputes earlier, but that really depends on the seller. If the seller chooses not to co-operate with PayPal, then they will take 30 days. Did you use your bank account or credit card when paying with paypal? If you used your credit card, you can file a dispute with them - it's faster and easier.

I tried looking for this model for you all over, but it's discontinued - the only place I could find was on ebay (again) http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Apple-Macbook-Pro-2-53GHz-2-53-GHz-15-MB471LL-A-4G_W0QQitemZ370264206499QQcmdZViewItemQQptZApple_Laptops?hash=item5635776ca3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_2454wt_883 The seller has a great feedback (and has regularly sold mbps before) but the price is $1899. You can get 8% discount via bing.com so that would bring the price down to $1748.

They don't mention expedited shipping but you could message them and let them know that you would pay for the overnight shipping and see what their response is.

When buying from a ebay seller always look for these things -

1. Pattern of sales - be more wary about buying a macbook from a seller who has not sold any high end items previously.

2. Feedback - check and see if other customers have bought the same items from the seller, and their feedback. I'll usually buy from a seller who will have 40-50 feedbacks related to the item I want to purchase, and those feedbacks are relatively recent.

And always pay with your credit card via paypal - so you are protected both ways. Good luck!

3. caonimadebi macrumors regular

I can't comment on whether this seller is a crook, he seems to have a history of positive feedbacks, but is less than forthcoming about his seller history and his current listings. However, technically he doesn't have to deliver your computer until the middle of next week, considering the shipping option that he listed. You're just gonna have to give up on this deal, and hope that Paypal will refund your money.
    I had a similar experience of buying a mac on ebay on the Friday before I leave the country. I knew that I was taking a huge risk, that there were many ways that my computer would not be delivered before I leave. What I did was I browsed ebay Buy It Now listings extensively, and contacted the reputable sellers that were selling it at a desirable price. I asked the seller if he could dispatch the computer before 3PM on Friday, using USPS Express (I was not ready to pay the money for Fedex/UPS overnight+Saturday delivery). I bought the computer from the seller who responded and agreed to my request.
    I picked up my Macbook Air, shipped from two time zones away, on Saturday before lunch time, and I only spent $45 for the overnight shipping.
    Using USPS alone is a huge risk. If you're not willing to take the risk, you may have to pay more and go for Fedex/UPS saturday delivery for the peace of mind.

4. mrgeek macrumors member

Why can't you buy from apple store? You seem you have enough money to buy it from apple store. I never buy any computers or laptops from ebay for many reasons. You need warrenty and applecare if anything happens to your laptop.

5. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I'd say wait until next week before you panic. Who knows. I once bought a guitar off ebay (about $1500), and didn't get a response for several days, sent numerous e-mails, tried calling, and then finally got a response. Turns out the person was out of town and didn't have access to his e-mail (which I find a bit hard to believe) BUT everything worked out fine and he turned out to be a nice guy. Got my guitar and all was good. Chill for a bit before you freak. Is this your first time buying something off ebay? Usually new ebayers are a bit more paranoid than those who have been using it for a while.

6. yorkshireblonde macrumors newbie

yorkshireblonde

'Also, is there any place I can buy a 15" Macbook Pro for around $1700 that will be delivered on or before Saturday? Apple Store UK doesn't sell refurbished laptops, and I'm not sure the US store will deliver the 2.4GHz by Saturday.'
    Just to let you know the UK store does sell refurbished equipment. The link is just in a slightly different place on the page. It will be more expensive though. The deals are better on the US site!!!!! :rolleyes:
    Good Luck.

7. peewit106 macrumors newbie

Yes the UK Apple Store has them, but only 13 or 17" at present:
    Mac Book Pro here
    I bought one from there one day last month and it was delivered the next morning, with free shipping!

Remember the price you see on the UK site is the price you pay, including Tax.

8. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I have found both PayPal and eBay's customer complaints section to be absolutely hopeless. I had a terrible experience with trying to get a refund on a fraudulent sale.

Their complete lack of interest and professionalism means that I will never use either again.

Absolutely disgusted with eBay.

9. Brandon263 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for all your advice and help everyone!!! I ended up ordering the second generation 15" Macbook Pro (2.66GHz, March 2009) from Club Mac for around $1800. They will ship it via Fedex Saturday shipping.

Music Producer, as of this morning, the person had not responded to either me or PayPal, so I think this claim might take the full 30 days. I appreciate your advice about eBay, though, and will definitely take it in to consideration next time I buy something.

mr geek, the Apple Store didn't have the model I wanted (first generation 15" unibody with 512MB 9600 GT), which is why I had to but it elsewere.

Corrode, this is my first expensive purchase from eBay, and I guess I am a bit paranoid, but the guy is extremely sketchy, e.g. the only feedback he has from the past 12 months is from sketchy buyers who have only bought stuff from him. I already bought a laptop from Club Mac so I think even if he manages to ship the laptop by Wednesday next week, I'll have my family return it to him.

yorkshireblonde and peewit106, thanks for the headsup. I saw the link you to the UK Apple Store's refurbished section were talking about (Apparently the English like putting things on the right:)). I might buy from them in the future.

10. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Have you checked out the feedback from the guy you bought that laptop from - very dodgy, all the last few sales within seconds of each other, none with item descriptions and all from buyers recently registered....

Think you def got scammed!!!!

Good look with paypal - they have done me over before!!!

11. Brandon263 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi bcburrows, I think I was definitely scammed as well!

Luckily, I paid through Paypal and my credit card, and Paypal had guaranteed 100% of the purchase, so I'm hopeful I will get my money back, although it may take a while.

If that doesn't wok, my credit card company will reimburse me.

12. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

In the Apple education store, the 15" MacBook Pro costs £1,116, which is $1,780. Since you're a student here, I assume that you qualify. So why don't you just buy it in the UK?

13. fandsw macrumors regular

Don't wait for Paypal to resolve this, go ahead and file a dispute/claim with your CC company. This will light a fire under Paypal's hiney, as the CC company will immediately issue a chargeback, i.e. take money away from Paypal. Also, there may be a timeframe with your CC company in which they allow disputes. Don't wait for paypal to do something as they have no financial interest to help you quickly.

Believe me, been there, done that. Filed with paypal before and it was like watching grass grow. As soon as the CC company was involved paypal got into gear!

14. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

AAAAhhh the joys of eBay.......

Dispute the credit card charge in writing ASAP. And by "in writing", I mean snail mail, followed up with an e-mail. Your monthly statements will have the address to send formal dispute in writing.

Good luck.

15. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

Yeah you got scammed. Check out the feedback from the recent "buyers". There are 2 and 3 feedback scores there, and if you click on them the feedback they got is all from the seller himself. Looks like the seller has set up some shill accounts to increase his feedback. I would leave him negative feedback ASAP.

16. HBOC macrumors 68020

has anyone from here "contacted" this member, as in letting him know he is getting great publicity? I was about to let him know, but I don't want to without letting the OP know first... I HATE EBAY scammers!!!!!

17. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

He won't care. It's just too easy to set up a new account, fake a few reviews... the anonymity of the internet also has disadvantages.

18. Crystal.manage macrumors newbie

I have found both PayPal and eBay's customer complaints section to be absolutely hopeless. I had a terrible experience with trying to get a refund on a fraudulent sale. They are just reputed for creating trouble for users.

19. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

I had a similar experience. I bought a 24" imac from savannah1010anthony
    and he wouldn't ship until I left him feedback or he got at least half the money up front.

I told him I wouldn't leave feedback till I got the item and I wasn't sending any other money.

He also wouldn't send cuz he said how did he know that I wouldn't say I didn't get the item? lol

I told why not just add signature delivery to the shipment, but to no avail.

I should have known better as he had 0 feedback, but I payed with AMEX via Paypal and got my money back within a day of filing the dispute.

20. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

There's something I dont get here....

If Apple has a online store to sell it's hardware direct to the customer/user... both new and refurb. Why do people still insist on buying from some bloke they've never met, who's stock doesn't have a known history? and their trading stats are unknown/unreliable.

Who said Apple don't sell refurb systems? I think you they do.. guess you are just looking in the wrong place. Don't deliver on a saturday? Did you ever try calling them after placing an order with your reference? If you have obscure circumstances, then Apple will upgrade the delivery from the normal to a Weekend delivery (at least they did for me).

Seriously, why goto the store? When you could of bought them direct from the AppleStore (online) ??? For $1699 you can get a faster newer system... and direct from Apple.

Now... You're out 1600 bucks worried about it's out come and still no where closer to getting the mac you want.

Tip... Quit moaning on the forums and contact paypal to file a fraudulent sale, tell them you've not heard from the seller and the goods still not been sent. Usually, Paypal will refund/reimburse you but it's not for another three to four weeks on average.

Attached Files: