Scanners and pat-downs coming to a train, boat, or mass transit near you?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FrankieTDouglas, Nov 25, 2010.

1. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/25/body-scanners-headed-trains-ships-mass-transit/

I'm actually a combination of speechless and extreme irritation. The other alternative to these screenings is to take a train when possible. Now the TSA might start interfering with this amazing, laid back form of travel?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

And before too long, we will need to be screened for driving out cars!

What a joke

A train/subway/boat poses no where near the same level of potential threat as a plane turned into a missile as those mediums are limited in how they can travel....and even then the TSA has been nothing but ineffective!

She needs to be fired. What. a. joke.

I found this really ironic
    Yes, lets. This invasion of privacy is not worth these extreme measures. How many threats have been stopped? How many planes have been hijacked? Common sense says these are EXTREME measures that give very little to no increase in security.

What a ********

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

So which congressperson represents the district in which these scanners are made?

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Chen Lin Huang. lol

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Hell no. The subway?! What are they thinking... Am I going to have to start showing up 3 hours early to take the subway to work like I do for an international flight? The greatest appeal of trains is that you can arrive minutes before they leave, this would sink Amtrak.

6. FrankieTDouglas thread starter macrumors 65816

Amtrak is more than just an alternative way to travel. It's actually ENJOYABLE. When I travel by train, I often remember the trip there nearly as much as the trip itself. Obviously, it's this much more casual environment that contributes to it.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

There are other countries where there are security checks at the subway/train station, it isn't a particularly big deal, and it only takes a couple of minutes.

8. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

And to think people complained about the G.W. and John Ashcroft with the patriot act.

If this happens, I hope people realize that the terrorists have finally won. Actually they've probably already won.

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Oh, they're winning alright.

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

No, it's damned ridiculous, because what we do even in airports is a stupid, ineffective waste of time and mountains of money. Remember, it's "only a couple of minutes" per person at an airport too, provided an unaccountable mall cop doesn't decide to make an example of you because he thought you looked at him funny. You're talking about waiting lines several times longer than the average trip.

Besides, I am not taking off my shoes and belt to travel around my own city, not emptying my pockets, not buying all my liquids at the grocery store in three-ounce increments, and I'll be damned if any SF Muni employee is permitted to touch me, ever.

This is what happens when you give somebody unlimited money and unlimited punitive power over anyone who does not cooperate with them, and say "protect me completely from anything you can think of." You'll end up living naked in a box, drugged unconscious, surrounded by video cameras. But you'll be safe.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

LOL, they have trouble with the number of people at airports during rush, I can imaging the trouble in the NY subways with the volume of people and all those stations. :rolleyes:

How much would the transit fees have to increase to support that effort.

12. Eraserhead, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't mean a couple of minutes per person, I mean a couple of minutes to go through the whole process. Noone cares if you have more than 100ml water, noone cares if you have a swiss army knife with you.

Noone would possibly tolerate US airport style security at the train station.

13. Queso macrumors G4

According to Virginia basketcase Eugene Delgaudio it's all part of the "homosexual agenda". Apparently it's all done so that a few gays can get a cheap thrill :rolleyes:

AMERICANS!!! WTF ARE YOU DOING VOTING FOR THESE ABSOLUTE LUNATICS??!? :confused: :p

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=2182930

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

While that guy is crazy, I'm sure there is a minority of gays that act like the people on the religious right say they do, and who else would want a TSA job where you have to feel people up all the time.

16. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Ridiculous logic, if terrorists tried to take over a train they'd have a hell of a time trying crashing it into any buildings unless they stole this one:
    [​IMG]
    :rolleyes:

17. Queso macrumors G4

Ermm.....someone making the step up from security guard? Ex-services people who want to maintain a sense of duty? Plane spotters who love hanging around at airports?

As for that "minority of gays" thing, maybe a teeny-tiny extremely small minority yes. I'd be surprised if even 1% of the gay employees within the TSA fall into that category though.