Scaramucci "quotes" Mark Twain - the replies are hilarious.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jul 23, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I've seen some great ones go across my Twitter feed. Maybe he should quit before he's too far behind.

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

5. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

It wouldn't! ;) Misquoting Twain, however? The replies were funnier than his attempt at humor.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Got anything from less than 5 years ago?

7. zin macrumors 6502

What's sad is now you've added characters to your running Twitter commentary. This time with tweets from five years ago.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I hope they can find something more recent to smear him with!

9. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Well he needs new things to tweet since he deleted all of the older stuff thinking nobody saw or saved it.

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Or at least quit tweeting.

And assorted prior appearances on TV... he can't even delete those, and the Fourth Estate probably going through all of them right now, like the assiduous bloodhounds they are.

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

My favorite reply:

IMG_4011.jpg

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

lol Rolling Stone once cited that as among the all time best stalker songs...

14. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

The tweet is trending. So I thought I would post it. You know you could always... not read my posts or not comment. But hey - it's your time.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I would expect his day to day performances will suit the bill in short order.

16. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

President Trump will chop off his head if Scaramucci dares to upstage Dear Leader in the Twitterverse.

[​IMG]

17. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

That's kinda what has me confused with this pick. There is absolutely no way that Scaramucci won't upstage the Dear Leader. He's got the charisma, poise, and self-assuredness that all of Trump's previous lackeys have lacked. He's going to make his boss look terrible in comparison, no matter what he does...

18. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Misquoting famous people is the sort of literary lapse many people make. It's an easy, but relatively venal (as opposed to mortal), sin.

Americans tend to mistakenly ascribe their quotations to an almost universally white, male, and American cast of characters: Abraham Lincoln; Ben Franklin; Thomas Jefferson; and Mark Twain. I can't really recall ever seeing mistakenly a misattributed quote credited to Martin Luther King jr. or Harriet Tubman.

British jokesters usually deliberately misattribute quotations to Oscar Wilde.

But then part of the fun (and challenge) is making a quote deliciously risque, and authentically Wildeian, to make the reader wonder, if just for a moment, if it might be the real deal.

Last word: Many of the quotes we take as gospel (like Marie Antoinette's "Let them eat cake"; and Lincoln's "Can't fool all the people..") are actually made up. So double check.

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

They're being deleted as we type.

20. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I did not have sexual relations with that woman - Bill Cosby. Or Clinton. Or someone.

21. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

A silly mistake but I'll forgive him.

Personally I always confuse "If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a few minutes" with "It's raining men. Hallelujah it's raining men". Mark Twain or The Weather Girls? I always have to double check that one.

22. vrDrew, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017

vrDrew macrumors 65816

An actual, 100% verifiable, direct quotation.

And I'm the sort of ****** who has a ****ing Kierkegaard quote in his signature.

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well for awhile they'll work together. Gas lighting us. But you guys are right about the upstaging problem. Very very soon Scaramucci has to stop being the story.

Trump relies on others to pile up press clips for him to look at, but he spends time watching TV and doing his own version of "mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the... greatest... of them all" and it better not be anyone on his staff he thinks is looking to top him.

Does Scary strike you as the kinda guy likes being in the background? Blowing a kiss to the WH press corps, oy. Nice photo, every podunk newspaper editor in the country is trying to figure out how to carve out a space for it... Trump will go from orange to green w/ envy and then red w/ apoplexy.

24. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

"I hate being misquoted on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln