Scarborough: Palin makes Obama look like Winston Churchill

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

There aren't a whole lot of things I agree with Joe Scarborough on, but every once in a while he hits it right on the head and shows he's not a lock-step conservative.

As I recall Scarborough was one of the first conservatives to criticize Bush for the war in Iraq. And now this. Way to go, Joe.

2. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Interesting, in the same week that Chris Matthews complimented Palin from the left by comparing her positively to Bill Clinton:

One thing's for sure... if Palin throws her hat into the ring officially there's going to be a poop-storm on both sides of the aisle, with happiness and fear on both sides as well.

3. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

There shouldn't even be fear. She should be laughed back to her reality show. She is a joke. What I don't get is that anyone would support her.

Which brings me to a grave confession: my sister does; bless her soul. :(

4. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Her potential candidacy doesn't get me too excited for 2012, that's for sure. There are so many other more qualified options to choose from. Here are some of my thoughts on a Palin Candidacy from other threads:

5. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

This could be a thread idea... hmmm...

6. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

7. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

You would gladly vote for someone who had no qualms about saying something should be done to alter the bias/methods of the media in her own favor?

How's that for free market and government staying out of our lives.

8. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I've noticed that you have been quoting yourself a lot lately. Is there a reason you feel compelled to point out stuff you've said before? :confused:

Google health

9. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

A Tea Partier on the bottom half of a 2012 GOP bid would be just as scary as Palin was in 2008, for the same reasons.

It's something you wouldn't comprehend. ;)

10. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I know I have some narcassistic traits, that's why I noticed it. :D

11. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again. When someone in a thread says something like "windfall profits are horrible" and just a few days or weeks ago I posted several long paragraphs arguing/proving the opposite... how stupid would it be to take the time to repost, rehash, retype the same argument again? It would be insane. The logical intelligent thing to do would be to say "no, I disagree with you and this is why: LINK"

You wouldn't think it would take too much brain power to figure that out. Ah well, I guess it IS easier just to accuse someone of narcissism instead of actually thinking it through to the logical conclusion.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I hear you man.

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Except you spent the time to find and link to your past posts when all you had to do is say (in summary) what you bolded. It would have taken a lot less time and effort.

Are you reacting with rage, shame or humiliation?

(edit) Oh, and you didn't say, I don't agree with you, and here's why, you said, look what I posted before!

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Winston Churchill was an alcoholic racist. In what way is Obama like him?

15. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

He's a racist elitist who gets drunk on taking away our freedoms. That way. ;)

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Thanks for clearing that up.

17. iJohnHenry, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Würden Sie sagen, dass in Deutsch jetzt ohne ihn? :p

Linkie.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

19. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I don't know why a lot of North Americans think Churchill was a great politician when in fact he was a utter utter bastard,teaching Saddam how to gas the Kurds was one of his lesser crimes.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Wasn't Saddam an agent of the Americans??

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Funny.. a lot of your thoughts are pretty much the form of "I know Palin is, But Obama is too!", lacking any real intellectual thought on the topic.

So there really isn't much validity in your thoughts on her candidacy, because it makes us think that you believe Obama should go stand in the corner because Palin is standing in the corner as well.

Back on topic, Scarborough did hit the nail on the head with this. And you are right on two points: First, there are much more qualified options to choose from. Whether they want to go against the party's Money machine, is another story. Second, if she does throw her hat in, the fit is going to hit the shan for sure.

BL.

22. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Most Americans probably don't know anything about Churchill beyond his leadership during WWII; in that respect, at least compared to his predecessor, he was impressive. I dare you to ask the average American to name a non-wartime PM from more than 30 years ago :p

23. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

The reality is that it is (disturbingly enough) a possibility that Palin could end up running against Obama...in which case his opinion of Obama vs Palin etc is relevant, whether or not you agree with it.

[Full disclosure: I abhor the thought of a President Palin...but don't think Obama was qualified for the job, either...]

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Fair enough.

What I was getting at is that the reasons 5P had listed here sounded like a child's tattle-tale story on why he got caught with his hands in the cookie jar. Saying "But Jimmy did it too!" when Mom caught your hand in it doesn't make up for it.

BL.

25. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Palin getting the GOP nomination would be a wet dream come to life for Democrats. She'd probably lose as bad as McGovern did in '72.

I'm forced to wonder if that's at least part of the reason she hasn't faded into obscurity. The media loves her because for better or worse, she brings in ratings, and ratings equal money. The SWPL-types on the left have a strange love-hate relationship with her, and poking fun at her validates their worldview. And as I said above, if she gets the nod in two years, Obama will have to be filmed biting the head off of a kitten in a satanic church dressed a klan outfit before he would even think about losing in 2012.