scared of plug iPhone into iTunes prompt - should I carry a spare phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cwerdna, Dec 20, 2008.

1. cwerdna macrumors 6502

One day I decided either to power off (hold down sleep/week, use red slider) my iPhone 3G and turn it back on or reset it (holding down sleep/wake + home) and I was surprised by seeing the graphical prompt telling me to plug it into iTunes. Woah!

Anyhow, I did plug it into my PC and that "fixed" things.

What I'm scared about is say I'm out somewhere using some app and my iPhone hangs and I'm forced to reboot (or it reboots itself) and then get stuck in the please plug iPhone into USB prompt. At that point, I don't think I can make or receive calls or get to my contacts.

Basically, I'm worried about being w/o a phone until a get to a computer w/iTunes and missing a date, important meeting, being unable to reach someone picking me up from the airport, etc.

Should I be worried? Has anyone hit this and recovered from it w/o getting to their computer? It's not like I carry around my laptop everywhere I go.

I stumbled across http://www.ehow.com/how_4684430_iphone-out-plug-itunes-mode.html but am unsure of its effectiveness.

Should I carry around a spare GSM phone or a spare phone, just in case? I've never had to worry about this until now w/other phones.

To be clear, my phone isn't jailbroken and I never intend to either.

2. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

If you think you should, then you should. We can't make your mind up for you.

3. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I have that happen every so often but I find if you hard reset it figures itself out and displays "iPhone activated".

4. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Same here

5. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

This happened to me just the other day. Powered my iPhone on and got the plug into iTunes graphic. This has NEVER happened to me in my 1 1/2 years of iPhone ownership. At that time it was an option to make an emergency call, but nothing more. Luckily I had my MacBook in a backpack, and the moment it sync'd - it fixed itself. I'm thinking it's a 2.2 bug. I suppose I should have tried a restart I I'm willing to bet that would have been the fix. Oh Well, I'm almost sure a restart fixes this as the above posters have agreed. If you feel it necessary to carry a backup, then go ahead, but a restart should do the trick.