scariest emergency?

Discussion in 'Community' started by question fear, May 3, 2004.

  1. question fear macrumors 68020

    question fear

    Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    So I was at work last night and we were having a staff meeting when I suddenly hyperventilated and couldn't feel my hands or face. They rushed me to the emergency room and as it turns out I had very low potassium levels, but it was pretty damn scary.
    Whats the scariest emergency you've ever had?
  2. 4409723 Suspended


    Jun 22, 2001
    HIGH potassium (more than 225 milligrams per serving)

    Apricots, avocado, banana, cantaloupe, fish, honeydew, kiwi, lima beans, meat, milk, oranges and orange juice, potatoes (can be reduced to moderate by soaking peeled, sliced potatoes overnight before cooking), poultry, prunes, spinach, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, vegetable juice, winter squash, yams.

    Hmm, I've had my potassium for today.

    My scariest emergency would have had to been when I was pushed over and went head first into a corner of a chair. I got hit just above the eye brow (inch away from my eye). I got a 1 inch cut and there was blood all over. 4 stitches later I was fine. I was 10 at the time, but wasn't scared when it was happening, a bit too stunned, but the people around me were freaking out.

    'It's just a flesh wound.'
  3. Applexilef macrumors regular

    Feb 3, 2004
    My scariest emergency happened about two years ago. I went home from a hard day of college and I just jump into bed and grab the remote to watch some tv. The moment I land on my bed this pain on the lower right part of my abdomen starts creeping in. At first, I didn't pay much attention...

    A couple of hours later and the pain was getting more and more intense, with every hour the pain like doubled. I was the only one in my apartment, and I didn't know what to do. By now I could barely move my legs, as doing this would make my abdominal muscles work and that just caused even more pain. All I could do was crawl myself in fetal position and just lie there in pain. I think I passed out by midnight.

    Next morning I get this rush of shivering in my body which wakes me up, I look for roomates once again and one of them was home, he took me to the hospital. A ruptured appendix...

    The fluid inside the appendix is highly toxic, and because of the rupture the fluid had started to crawl into my bloodstream (which leads to poisoning and eventual death). I was in the surgery room within 10 minutes of my arrival. I spent 12 days total in the hospital, one for taking out the appendix and the other 11 for removal of all the fluid.

    Where were my parents you may ask? They were not in the United States the week that this happened. By the time they managed to get here, it was my second day in the hospital. So that's my scariest emergency. I don't wish a ruptured appendix on anyone. It's freaking painful!
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

    Jan 6, 2004
    back in high school i worked at a gas station that was a repair shop as well, i was doing a routine tire change, no big deal about it at all right? well you have to clean the tire off before you put it on the rim, that way when you put the sealer on the tire you know it wont leak. we used a little brake cleaner on a a rag to clean the sides of the tires, its strong stuff. The problem was that the brake cleaner is in this 50 gallon drum thats almost empty to you have to pump it out, so im standing there pumping away with the rag underneath the spout and all of a sudden the brake cleaner is spraying everywhere - including my left eye!! my god that was painful, i had to go to the emergency room to make sure i got it all out of my eye, the only thing that saved me from burning away my retnia is my contact which shrivelled up and the fact that i was used to keeping my eye open to put my contacts in let me flush it out pretty well before the ambulence came, man that was scary!!
  5. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

    Nov 22, 2002
    I have no memory of the scariest emergencies. As I was not conscious...
    worst was probably .. fluctuating over my body and seeing them around me, I remember what they said, what they did, I was not in me but above... and a number of emergencies where I just basically wake up in the hospital and wonder where I am and how I got there.

    Of those that I do remember - I fell down and my head was bleeding a lot.. I was 7. I was not scared, but my mum was panicking, and I felt like a guinea pig in the hospital, as there was a class of nursing students observing how they sewed my head.

    Or, I had a feaver of 107 F ... it felt stupid to be asked "can you walk", even when walking to the toilet was practicaly making me faint.
  6. aricher macrumors 68020


    Feb 20, 2004
    About 12 years ago an ex-girlfiend of mine and I were driving along a highway here in Chicago. It was raining and we saw a car ahead of us spin out and crash into the guardrail. Being a time before I had a cell phone I pulled over to check to see if the guy was alright. I went up to his car which was still partially in the far left lane at the end of a blind curve. He had his door open and was trying to start his car. I said, "Hey man, you better move your car before someone hits you." Right then a car taged his bumper, his open door hit me, knocked me to the ground and started dragging me - about 10 feet - before stopping. I got up, my ex-girlfiend (having not seen the accident) was waving to me - saying we had to go. She came up, looked at me and said, "Your collarbone doesn't look quite right." I looked down to see my shirt had been ripped open and my collarbone was lumpy. An ambulence came, picked up myself and the passengers of the car that hit the first one. After the adrenaline wore off I was in a world of pain for about a month.

    Worst part was... while the ambulence was attending to us, the guy I stopped to help got out of the car, took the license plates off and left the scene. My insurance company tracked the VIN number - stolen car!

    That's what I get for being a good samaratin. Now I won't pull over - just call it in.
  7. parrothead macrumors 6502a


    Sep 24, 2003
    Edmonds, WA
    I have tons of scary emergency stories.

    I think the scariest happened when I was living in Australia. My girlfriend and I decided to go camping in the outback 6 hours west of Townsville. We had a great weekend, until the wreck. We weren't 10 miles from the campsite when we came to an unmarked turn that was sharper than it looked. It was strange because most of the other turns were marked on this road. I was going a little fast, being overconfident in my Landcruiser's 4x4. Well, I started to fishtail and the dirt on the road was so thick it looked like snow drifts. The car turned sideways and then rolled over onto its roof before ending on the driver's side. I opened my eyes when we stopped and found my GF hanging by her seat belt. I lifted her our, kicked out the windshield, ripped off the rearview mirror, and carried her out with superhuman strength. We sat by our car, 70km from the nearest tiny 4 building town. 5 cars drove by before someone stopped. Finally 4 hours after we wrecked, the police and ambulance came. The cops told us that we were really lucky because they had had 4 fatalities that month on the same curve! In one of the wrecks a girl was trapped in the car for 2 days while her boyfriend was crushed to death next to her.

    Another time, I was on spring break in Colorado and saw some freaky stuff. My friends and I had spent the day snowboarding at Copper Mountain and were driving back to boulder to visit a friend. We got on the interstate and found that it was packed bumper-to-bumper. The traffic was bad because it had been snowing all day and the road was solid ice. We had made it a few miles and were about 200 yards from the Breckenridge exit when the wreck happened. I sat there behind the wheel trying to avoid getting into a fender bender like the 20 I had just witnessed. Our side of the road was standstill, but the crazy's on the other side were going full speed. Anyway, I watched as an 18 wheeler went down the on ramp going the other way. I saw its wheels turn but it just kept going strait it went across both lanes and plowed over the median to our side. It then crushed 8 cars about 10 yard in front of me before going off the road into a ravine. The cars had been tossed about like nothing. My friends and I decided to call it a day and got a hotel room in Breck instead of trying to go all the way to Boulder.
  8. ToddW macrumors 6502a

    Feb 26, 2004
    My story:

    About four years ago, on a Friday night my roomy and I were getting ready to go drinking, when all of a sudden we hear this banging on the front door, a neighbor was yelling, her apartment was on fire. She was screaming and saying her room mate was upstairs trapped, we walked outside and there were flames coming out everywhere. My room mate grabbed our fire extenguisher and I grabbed an old Army issue wool blanket and headed around the back, the back door was locked and my roommate couldn't get in the front, so I grabbed a metal softball bat and managed to get the glass of the patio door to crack, I then grabbed that blanket and smashed through the patio door, covered myself with the blanket and managed to run upstairs, I remember smoke and flames everwhere and I found her roommate face down not breathing, so I grabbed her covered her up with the blanket and hauled but downstairs back through the patio, the fire department showed up at that time. I ran the girl to the EMT and was yelling she's not breathing, and the EMTs grabbed her and then they grabbed me, aparantly my jeans were smoking and a little bit on fire and I had glass in my should, a little bit in my face, and also in my back quite a bit. They put me on oxygen and drove us both to the hospital. She was fine and had to stay three nights in the hospital, I had burns on my legs and arms and had stiches in my back, side and shoulders. It all happened so quick. I had no idea I was hurt until these EMTs were grabbing me and trying to help me, I was yelling get the F off me she is the one that is hurt.
  9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

    Capt Underpants

    Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    It all started 2 years about a year and a half ago at school. My friends and I were casually eating lunch. That day, I had my usual peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I laugh and swallow at the same time, and get a feeling of pain. I gets to the point where I can barely breathe, but I finish off my day at school and go home. While at home, I eventually call my mom (who is at work) and tell her what is going on.

    We arrive at the hospital, I get checked out, and they think there is really nothing wrong. However, they decide to go ahead and do an x-ray. By now, my mom is nearly frantic. She can't even stay in the emergency room without shaking. Well, I go and take the x-ray, and I see one doctor call another to view my x-ray with him (you know that can't be a good sign). It turns out that, somehow, the peanut butter and jelly had managed to tear part of my trachea(i think, it may've been esophagus). This is called subcutaneous emphysema. The doctor has never really seen a case quite like this before, so he decides to send me over to a children's hospital. Anyways, I get to ride in an ambulance for the first time (cool). They say there's really nothing I can do about it... it just has to heal on its own.

    I know that's a pretty lame worst emergency, but atleast my condition has a pretty cool name (subcutaneous emphysema). For the next week, I have trouble breathing, but other than that. . . I'm all good!
  10. virividox macrumors 601


    Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    well when i was a kid i had several accidents

    but i guess teh most recent one would have to be when i broke my left leg playing football, both bones above the ankle were totally shattered. at first when i fell i didnt feel anything except i heard a loud pop. so i try to get up, i lift my leg, but my foot remains on teh ground as the rest of the leg goes in the air; and you can see the bone penetrate the skin. after that i freaked out and started yelling at the top of my lungs.

    i had to wait 2 hours for a ambulance because of the traffic caused by an accident on the road and another 2 hours to get to a hospital.
  11. latergator116 macrumors 68000


    Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    When I was kid I had a glass gerbile (or hamster, I can't remember) tank fall on my head. Im not exactly sure how it happened since I was only 3 years old. I have a scar on my left eyebrow and one on my cheek. I was very luck though, because the tank fell just centimeters away from my eye.
  12. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    I actually came up with your diagnosis in the first paragraph. One of those classic stories.

    I haven't really had any personal emergencies. It was really amazing to read all the above stories. I would call you a hero ToddW and many others also, all of you should be very proud.

    Capt Underpants I have taken patients with subcutaneous emphysema. All of my emergencies have been in nursing.
  13. coopdog macrumors 6502a

    Oct 5, 2002
    The Great Midwest
    About 10: I was swinging a road pick axe. The kind that have a flat edge on one side and a point on the other. I missed what I was going to hit and it the point end went right into my leg. Went into the bone. TONS of blood.

    About 10: My dad passed out while standing up and fell on some rocks. I was young so I had no idea what to do and I was freaked out. Luckly there were lifeguards near by.

    14: I crushed a finger while working on my bike. It came between a big wrench and the edge of my peddle. I went into shock for some reason. It wasn't that bad. I had no idea what was going on. I even forgot that a woman that was standing right there was a nurse and I didn't ask her for help.

    I have helped people w/ broken bones and stuff before but nothing that was "scary."
  14. Awimoway macrumors 65816


    Sep 13, 2002
    First day of a new school year at my university. I was riding a new bike home and had to cross a busy four-lane road on a crosswalk that was 200 yards from the nearest stoplight. On this street, there really aren't any long gaps in the traffic, so you have to be aggressive and assert your right of way, which I did, watching the cars to make sure they saw me. Well I crossed the first two lanes just fine. As I passed in front of the fully stopped third lane I glanced at the fourth. The nearest oncoming car in the fourth lane was far enough away that I had no worries I could cross in time while it slowed down for me. I assumed it was slowing down because I had the right of way and since I had just backed up traffic in both directions for 100 yards I thought that surely the driver would notice this and slow down too.

    She saw me. She didn't slow down. I didn't realize this until it was too late to do much about it. I don't know how fast she was going. At least 40 miles an hour, but the speed limit there was 50 so it could have been higher. Fortunately, it was a very low profile hatchback. I hit the hood of her car, smashed her windshield royally and rolled off the car and across the road, spinning over two or three times.

    Several cars stopped and people got out to help. An ambulance arrived shortly. But I was able to get up, walk around, and assess that no bones were broken. My glasses were smashed. My Palm PDA in my pocket was smashed. Blood was trickling down my face. My clothes were ripped up. But I was mobile and grateful to be alive. I told the paramedics I didn't need to go with them. I was afraid I would get charged some exorbitant amount for their services, and as a student I knew I wouldn't be able to afford it. They checked my eyes and may have had me sign something to release them of any liability (I don't remember). A neighbor who had stopped his car drove me to the student health center where I spent the next two hours getting the road rash wounds all over my body cleaned and dressed. I had to return every morning for a week and half to get the bandages changed. All I have left to prove it happened is a jagged little scar on my forehead.

    And the girl who hit me? She had been renting a car even though she had no insurance. She was a tourist from South America who said that in her country pedestrians didn't have the right of way, and so she assumed I would somehow get out of her way. She was very sorry though and paid out of her pocket for the smashed PDA and mangled bike. But the rental company took the car away and her vacation abruptly ended.
  15. Doctor Q Administrator

    Doctor Q

    Staff Member

    Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    My scary emergencies were actually other people's emergencies. I'm good at being the innocent bystander.

    One time it was seeing a toddler on the second story of the L.A. County Museum of Art, who had gone under the railing and was half a step from a one-story fall off a ledge. I didn't want to yell because he might get startled and move away (over the edge). I started to move toward him when, luckily, he went back under the railing to safety on his own. I don't think his mom even saw it happen.

    Another was a lady I saw faint at a hospital. She was right next to me and I managed to catch her, twisting my own leg in the process. I had to ignore my leg and try to get her down to the floor without hitting her head. I did it. Then a nurse came to help the lady and I got to nurse my own leg.

    Both incidents made my own heartbeat speed up in an instant, but in the moment it all happened so fast that I don't notice the panic I felt until after it was over.
  16. wwidgirl macrumors member


    Feb 23, 2004
    shiaza, this happened to me but in a movie theatre. Very embarassing. I was in emergency for several hours but I was not told what was wrong with me other than "We think it was a panic attack".
  17. Neserk macrumors 6502a


    Jan 1, 2004
    Warnign: Icky!

    Summer before last I was getting dizzy when I stood up and was feeling queasy to my stomach... this lasted for about a week... then Monday morning I woke up at 6 am in excrusicating pain... my husband drove me to ER. By the time I got there I couldn't stand up and was literally screaming and crying in pain (very unusual for me because I have a high tolerance for pain, particularly abdominal pain). They ran a billion tests and coudln't figure out what was going on. I had a pelvic CT and they found fluid in my abdomen. My temp was normal and my white blood cell count was normal but they knew I had to go in for surgery because the fluid wasn't normal they just didn't know what it was.

    Then they did a second set of blood tests and my white blood cell count had shot up so I went from having surgery to having it *now.* They went in for an appendix opened me up and found a lot blood a lot of scar tissue, an ovary, a huge tumor, a fallopian tube and my uterus all clumped together. The tumor was bleeding which was why I had been getting dizzy the week before. After all was said I lost an ovary, fallopian tube, benign tumor, and a lot of scar tissue which was gently scraped <shiver> from my uterus and intestinal track. The stupid thing is they didn't bother to take out my appendix :rolleyes: which is normally done when the abdomen is opened up. My souveneir is a 6 inch scar across my abdomen.
  18. Neserk macrumors 6502a


    Jan 1, 2004

    Panic Attacks are scary...
  19. alxths macrumors 6502

    Apr 3, 2003
    About two years ago I was coming home from a bar with some friends when some car pulls up next to us and a few kids with nothing better to do got out and started throwing eggs at us; and as a testiment to their oh so high intelligence, they drive on for about thirty feet and then stop i nteh middle of the road. One of my friends is abit of a hot head so he runs after them and i was quite drunk so i went with him.. apparently he proceeded to jump on their hood whle i kicked in the taillights; so the driver gets out and apparently i just stood there still as he walked up to me, lined me up and punched me on the mouth causing me to fall back. Then there was a whole lot of yelling, swearing, yada yada yada; they eventually drove off and it was seemingly over, until my friends noticed that i had no short-term memory at all.. constantly asking what happened, where were we, etc..after driving around for a few hours looking for that car again and a clinic they dropped me off at home and woke my parents(I was 19 at the time) who then took me to an emergency room where i had... i dunno, an mri or something; at any rate, it turned out that i just had a cuncussion(i should know how to spell that), thankfully...

    The day after i started to gain short glimpses of from when i had the cuncussion.. It's a different kind of 'scary emergency' i guess; i mean, it's one thing to see one of your bones sticking out and having people around you panicking and to be in extreme pain, and it's another to be the focus of attention while you have no idea what's going, you're covered in blood and when asking what happened people just tell you to stop asking that, that there's something wrong with you, you're not ok, as they speak with each other in a calm, unsure and regretfull manner about things that you can't understand. Kind of enlightening in an existentialist sort of way, i guess...
  20. dethl macrumors regular

    Aug 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yup, I had one of those myself last summer. Apparently, it was caused by sleep deprivation and too much caffeine (soda, coffee, and the such).

    My scariest emergency would have to be when I was around 6 or 7 (I don't remember). I woke up in the middle of the night with an ungodly amount of pain in my back. I had to be carried into the car and carried into the hospital. The doctors had no clue what happened, took x-rays and such, and concluded that I must have gotten a virus in my back.
  21. macka macrumors regular

    Mar 19, 2004
    I was beaten up by a 200lb dude who thought I was messin around with his girl, of course I wasn't but he beat me up nevertheless. Was in hospital for three days and the bloke was charged.

    Parrothead - sorry that you experienced such an accident whilst in Australia.

    Fortunately, everybody is alive and well and lives to tell the story :)
  22. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

    Daveman Deluxe

    Jun 17, 2003
    Corvallis, Oregon
    My worst emergency was when my head found itself in the path of a thrown javelin. I was ten at the time, and everybody was freaking out, but I was all like, "Uh... what are you all flipping out for? It's just a little blood." Three stitches later, I was fine. I've got this kickass scar on the top of my head now.

    I got off easy. I have a friend who decided it'd be fun to throw herself onto concrete while on skates when she was six... shattered her wrist. Fortunately, she was able to play piano again. :p

    Another friend who got a grade 3 concussion playing football... first game back three weeks later, he got another grade 3 concussion. Next season, he told the ATC that the doctor cleared him to play football, although the doctor didn't... first game of the season, he got another grade 3 concussion. He wasn't allowed back for his senior year.
  23. ToddW macrumors 6502a

    Feb 26, 2004
    I just remembered a good one:

    When I was sixteen I worked at a grocery store, and in the loading dock we had bundles of boxes from stocking a bunch of stuff. It was like me second day there and we were moving these big 300 to 500 pound bundles around. I was told to jump down to get read to move another bundle, so I jumped down and then I suddenly jump back up and there is a nail through my foot, it was sticking out of my shoe. Lucky enough the grocery store was next to the hospital and I went over there and got an x-ray and a couple of shots and went back to work.

    My foot hurt like hell for two weeks.
  24. musicpyrite macrumors 68000


    Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I was about 11, and some friends and I need a way to get around the neighborhood (because the neighborhood was REALLY big) fast. So we decide, when the mail truck comes to a stop, to drop off some mail, we would hop onto the back of the truck and hold onto the handles. Well... worked pretty good a couple of time, but one time I got on and the truck kept going faster and faster, (I was afrade that it would go outside the neighborhood and onto the highway) so I had no choice but to jump; :eek: :eek: :D the truck was going a good 25 miles an hour (~40 kilometers). When I jumped I kinda tucked my head in and put my armes over my neck. In the end, there was nothing bleeding on my head, but both my elbows were torn up like you wouln't believe; blood everwhere and had to keep my elbows wrapped up in cloth for the next ~6 weeks.

    Now that I think about it, it was very stupid of me to do that.
  25. cpjakes macrumors 6502

    Aug 15, 2003
    Buffalo, NY
    I debated for a while about posting this one, but I just had to...

    Last September, my sister and threw a party. In the past, we've usually had some sort of bonfire for larger summer parties. Of course with all things like this, we try to out do ourselves on each subsequent occasion. A friend of mine and I started stockpiling shipping palettes for a couple weeks before and then happened to *find* some extras outside of a warehouse. All in all, we had 50 palettes.

    Now, to show a little history here, the last bonfire consisted of one stack of 15 palettes, roughly 7 feet tall. The flames on that fire were probably about 45-50 feet off the ground. We had slight problems with the proximity to my neighbor's trees, but nothing that really mattered in the long run...

    This time we thought that two stacks of 15 would be a good idea, so up they went. In our usual lighting method, the stack is soaked with a little gasoline, about 1.5 litres, and another 0.5 litres is used for a trail so it can be lit *safely.* Well, I hadn't figured that to light two stacks I should have used twice as much gasoline, so I was a little let down by the lighting, which usually consists of a small mushroom cloud and a couple of the palettes shifting at the top of the stack. It was still burning, but it wasn't engulfed in flames like the last time.

    Now, here comes today's physics lesson. When a fire is burning, it needs oxygen. It sucks oxygen from the path of least resistance, like an open field. Roughly three sides of this fire were open, the fourth was not. It was my neighbor's tree, once again. So with the fire sucking the air in like a vacuum, the only outlet for the fire was through the trees...

    At this point, we've got 75 foot flames whipping through the trees. I've got my garden hose (which is always unrolled and ready for these occasions) pointed at the base of the fire, but the fire is laughing at my meger attempt to kill it. It was so hot next to this fire (within 10 feet) that I had to shield my face with my arm. Every few seconds someone would yell "TREE!!!" and I would aim the hose to the tree to put out the new fire dancing in the branches high above, hoping to put it out before it spread to the several neighboring trees that are above both my house and my neighbor's.

    Others at the party sprung into action with garden rakes and shovels, trying to knock down the stacks, but no one could get close enough. Finally, after a few minutes of this, my "palette location assistant" took spare palettes (we had another 20 remaining) and threw them at the stacks, eventually knocking the two of them over.

    After the flames were lower, I was able to gain control of the fire. The area of the coals was higher and wider than a pitcher's mound and still pretty hot. By this point, my neighbor had called the police (thank goodness not the fire department) and as soon as there was control, he showed up. He said that the large pile of coals (there weren't too many flames by this point) was an "uncontrolled fire" and while he liked a "good fire" if he had any more calls about this one he'd have to call the fire department and they would come and put it out. I wanted to say, "If you think this is an uncontrolled fire, you should have seen it 10 minutes ago!" but I refrained from doing so.

    So the party slowed down a little bit, but it was still too hot to roast marshmallows, no one could be close enough to the pile of coals long enough to roast one!

    Here's a couple links to some pictures. The first link is of the fire and it's humble beginning, the second one is the morning after, when I decided to light up the rest of the palettes. Even then, I didn't need to light a match, just throw a palette on and let it burn. The other ones are the damage to the tree.

    These links will only be up 10am-5pm EST while I'm at work...

Share This Page