Scary...BloombergTV Video on Iphone 6 PLUS bending

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zox2003, Oct 9, 2014.

1. zox2003, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  2. wxman2003 Suspended

3. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

4. zox2003 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just trying to get your opinion on this video... They have Unbox guy and Consumer Reports talking about bending at the same time....Both of these did test....
    I have a 6 PLus for 10 days and have no issues so far.....

5. noobinator macrumors 601

I have a scarry knee from skinning it too many times as a child.

6. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

7. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Actually I'd say this video should be reassuring more than anything else. Both guests are saying essentially the same thing; that there's a very specific set of circumstances that may cause issues. More specifically you don't carry a phone (or any consumer electronics for that matter) in a way that's going to exert a lot of pressure on it.

That's nothing new, frankly it should really be common sense. If you've got a big slab of glass and metal in a pocket make sure that it can move and (for instance) it's not sitting on the hip when you move. The iPhone 6 and 6+ are weaker than the 5 but, again, you'd expect that given they're thinner and have a considerably larger surface area. Neither phone is being flagged as having a problem in these tests unique to the iPhone with the HTC One M8 actually being the worst performer.

Fundamentally it comes down to this: before buying a phone think about how you're going to use it and how you're going to carry it. If you tend to wear, say, skinny jeans a lot or regularly forget it's in a back pocket before sitting down then bear that in mind when making your choice. A 5"+ phone / phablet may be the device you want but if it doesn't fit into your lifestyle have a look for something that does.

One last note on the video, the Unbox guy's 'tests' made me wince to be honest, not surprised that putting that much force on a big phone caused issues. That being said it IS a good example of what type of movement can cause damage and might help people visualise what forces they may be applying to their phone in daily use.

8. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

This Lewis guy is such a fraud. Covering up his original video by claiming that the time traveling iPhone was due to having tested several iPhones before making the video. If this was the case, why didn't he say so in the original video? It would only have lent more credence to his claim that the iPhone 6 Plus bends easily. Hope he's enjoying his 15 minutes of fame.

9. lke macrumors 6502a

And what is scary about this video?

We all know that the iphone 6 + bends easily, also the iphone 5 bends and if you take care of your iphone you will never have issues.

Everything from the video was already said, there is no new issue here.

I hope that Apple reinforces new iphone 6 + to avoid this issue.

10. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

Whew. Thank you, OP for this thread.

I can't tell you how many times I rest my phone on two blocks and apply straight downward force with a hydraulic jack that has a specialized adapter.

Similarly, you should see my thighs. There's an amazing protrusion coincidentally at pocket level just the size of two thumbs. If I only had a nickel for every time my phone lined up just right against my thigh nub (that's what my doctor and I have decided to call it). From there... man, oh man... I've caught myself flexing like Schwarzenegger in the Mr. Olympia competitions, putting direct pressure on the middle of my phone.

It's clear. I'm switching to carrier pigeons.

Can we all just move along now?