Scenario: The rumors are true, and the 13" Unibody becomes a "Pro" machine. Question:

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mattcube64, Jun 3, 2009.

1. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

What video card do you think they'll use?

Cause, I have to buy a new laptop for school (My Rev A MB isn't keeping up with...), and if I'm going to buy a laptop anyway, I'd rather get it sooner than later.

Granted, we'll have all our answers in a week or so, so I'm not super worried. I'd just like to hear a bit of speculation.

Think they'll keep the 9400? Do you think they'll use the 9600 in the Pro models? Or do you think they'll use something else, entirely.

I love everything about the 13" Unibody, except the graphics card. It's the only thing that would convince me to go with a MBP.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Doubt they would put the 9600M GT in the MacBook. If they do that, they would need to change something in the Pro lineup completely just to differentiate. What do you need the computer for that the 9400M just doesn't work for you. If you search the forum, you'll read that the 9400M isn't that bad of a GPU as it does things pretty damn well.

3. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

From what I've read, I'd be very surprised if the Macbook's video card changed at all. There doesn't seem to be quite enough room in the system for a dedicated GPU, and it would definitely increase heat in such a small frame. I also think battery life would take too much of a hit considering the smaller battery in the 13 inch system.

I was more concerned that apple would update the 9400m to a new integrated chip, but this seems unlikely because there really is no successor to the 9400m on the market right now. nVidia's working on one, but it shouldn't be out til Q3 or something like that.

Also, remember that the iMacs and the Mac Mini were both recently updated and still use the 9400m.

As far as I can tell, any real significant upgrades to the internals would be a rather big deal because it would require a major update of the chassis, which no one is predicting. I'd say more likely is just processor and HD bumps... at least that's what I hope since I just bought a MacBook 2.4 myself!

4. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Also, question for everyone else about the "rumors" of the macbook rebranding. Is it rumors, plural, or rumor? As far as I can tell, there's only been one blog post which even mentioned this as a possibility, and in that post the guy said it was only a possibility. Was it rumored from another source that I'm not aware of?