Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
I like Phil! He's kind of quirky and a little goofy, but seems like a true geek and really loves all the products I've seen him talk about. A very good #2 for Steve's even bigger Egg Head.

Comment

SolarisSkyrider

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2004
Virginia
Phil Distortion Field?

I'm looking forward to seeing how many of Steve's quirks he adopts and how many of his own he introduces to everything. As long as his Reality Distortion Field around the new iMac is as big as Steve's would have been, then I'm happy.

Maybe Steve will say hello from his home using the new iChat or something. :)

Comment

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
thought so

When i heard steve was sick, i thought either the keynotes would end or someone else would be in the spotlight. Good thing it was the second.
nate :D :eek:

Comment

appleguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2002
Auckland, NZ
new iChat..

Just thinking with the Airport Express.
Wont it be cool if you could stream music to another iChat user (or if poss a couple of users) from iTunes

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I think the iMacs may NOT be announced at Apple Expo. Because:

1. Apple has said September, not August, so they are under no obligation to announce early.

2. Steve would want to do it. Waiting a little could let him do so.

3. Regardless, they'll still ship in quantity at the same time either way (September... at IBM's mercy).

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Having a stunt-Steve was expected.

What I'd like to know is if Steve will participate from home. Will he reveal new products via iChat?

Comment

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I think this is great - Phil's going to do an excellent job replacing Steve, and I'll be eager to see how the keynote goes over.

Comment

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
IMO, there will be no G5 iMac introduction unless Steve does the presentation himself. I suspect the recent news reports concerning IBM's continued problems with G5 production means that the new iMac is going to be delayed longer than was anticipated even one month ago.

I wish Steve Jobs all the best in his recovery from surgery, but I wonder if his no-show at the Paris Expo might actually mean that the G5 iMac has been delayed yet again (beyond original estimates).

Comment

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
appleguy said:
Wont it be cool if you could stream music to another iChat user (or if poss a couple of users) from iTunes

not a bad idea.. after all, you can always play the music to the microphone when having an audio or video chat. this would make it one step further.

Comment

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
As much as Steve brings to a keynote, I don't see a huge impact if Phil introduces it instead of Steve. Maybe it will be so awesome no one will notice :). I'm more worried if the announcement would be delayed because of G5 shortages.

Comment

ssamani

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2002
UK
appleguy said:

Of course you can stream from iTunes, but just over the local network.

When streaming was introduced in iTunes, there was a way to do it over the net, but with stream recording software, it was being abused and used as a de-facto musing sharing network, so Apple released an iTunes patch that prevented music sharing to only the local network (subnet). So don't hold your breath for this feature in iChat.

Dunno if you're a student, but the iTunes sharing / streaming should work over most campus networks, just not over the wider 'net.

Sanj

Comment

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
ssamani said:
Dunno if you're a student, but the iTunes sharing / streaming should work over most campus networks, just not over the wider 'net.
If anyone's curious, iTunes sharing worked at my campus, but would only share in my dorm, and not across the whole network as I've heard some schools do.

Comment

ebally

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2004
London, UK
Will there be a new PowerBook also?

I know that this is a little off topic, but could someome possibly make an educated guess as to whether we will see new PowerBook revisions at the Paris Expo. And if so, what are the most likely specifications?

PS. I wish you all the luck in your recovery Steve.

Comment

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
Probably because each dorm is on it's own subnet at your school. Schools which have it work across the whole network must have every computer on the same subnet.

Maybe they are also using some sort of weird NAT system to allow more than 255 computers networked, Maybe...

Comment

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Nope - I reckon they'll just make everyone sit a bit further from the stage, and use Noah Wyle as the stunt-Steve

:)

Seriously, though -- Schiller's enough of a personality to pull it off. The guy's as enthusiastic as they come. Most likely it'll be as good a keynote as ever, but at the very least it'll be interesting to see.

I can't see this delaying any product announcements. Investors and 'the Street' are already a little wary of the 'cult of the CEO' at Apple. While Steve's obviously a very hands-on person, Apple can't give the impression of slowing down or grinding to a halt because he's away for a month or two.

Comment

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Maybe a PowerBook rev is on the cards just looked on UK refurb store :

Refurbished PowerBooks

Refurb PowerBook G4 15"/1GHz/256DDR/60GB/Combo/BT
(Original Product inc VAT Price was: £1599) -35%
Refurb PowerBook 15.2" 1.33GHz/256DDR/60G/Combo/APX/BT
(Original Product inc VAT Price was: £1399) -25%
Refurb PowerBook 15.2" 1.5GHz/512DDR/80G/SD/APX/BT
(Original Product inc VAT Price was: £1749) -25%

Refurbished iPod

or maybe not ?

anyway i hope super steve's replacment is up to scratch for the keynote

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.