Schneiderman probed for allegedly tapping Trumps for cash

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thewap, Feb 27, 2016.

1. thewap macrumors 6502a

thewap

The state ethics watchdog has launched a probe into whether state Attorney General Eric Schneiderman illegally solicited campaign contributions from Donald Trump’s daughter, Ivanka, and her husband while investigating The Donald’s for-profit school, The Post has learned.

The Joint Commission on Public Ethics issued subpoenas to Ivanka and other execs at the Trump Organization who also may have been hit up for cash.

JCOPE is trying to determine if Schneiderman violated the Public Officers Law by “barraging” them with fundraising solicitations — while also suggesting he would back off his own fraud investigation into Florida-based Trump University.

http://nypost.com/2015/03/04/schneiderman-probed-for-allegedly-tapping-trumps-for-cash/

2. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I don't care. He speaks his mind and that's why I'm voting for him. :mad:

3. thewap thread starter macrumors 6502a

thewap

What the article implies is that the attorney general was trying to blackmail Trump.

4. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Blackmailing a fraudster? What has this country come to?

What ever happened to predictability? The milk man, the paper boy, evening tv?

5. thewap thread starter macrumors 6502a

thewap

Was fraud proven? are trade schools fraud?, are seminars fraud? the lawsuit is far over reaching in it's stupidity IMO.

6. FieldingMellish Suspended

Colleges are fraud by that definition. Spewing out unhireable social justice maggots with no basics that a business can utilize, but with a raft of liabilities to watch out for. Good for business there's a social track record to examine and evaluate.

7. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

All the politicians speak their minds. Can we not vote for them all?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2016 ---
    I agree - numerous instructors at the college I attended a few years ago all said "profit defined is doing the least amount of work for the most amount of money" (paraphrased). One even discussed to class how his son cried because daddy had to go to work for 12 hours for the fifth day in a row as usual "but that's how life is". Yeah, they were a real gaggle of progressive liberals, that lot...
    --- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2016 ---
    "Schneiderman probed for allegedly tapping Trumps for cash"

Is this like a sex scandal? Heyoooooo!

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Pasteurization killed the milkman, and the internet has killed the paper boy and evening TV.

...so, you know, communists.

9. FieldingMellish Suspended

Clever as ever, but it's been that way ever since there's a better mouse trap, or one that so it seems. (like lead paint products). The industrial age knocked ages old manners of doing things in America and in other parts of the world as well. Businesses dried up while others blossomed.

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Automation by itself isn't necessarily a bad thing. Yeah, it's displaced people in the past, but there have always been alternatives. The market could compensate. I could could also understand the thrill businesses have of being able to produce considerably more at a quarter of the expense at half the time. Efficiency is, generally speaking, something to be sought after.

But while, as a society, we're thrilled that we're reaching the point where we could theoretically automate EVERYTHING, we might be missing out on the oh so important human equation. The market can compensate with the lost of 10,000 jobs, but not 10,000,000, which is what we risk. Fast food can be automated. So can building cars. Same with just about any retail store. Hell, it's even getting to the point where it could conceivably replace surgeons and diagnosticians. Even worse, the service industry, which is what will bear some of the brunt of the influx from traditional blue collar jobs, won't be able to expand quickly enough to support the weight being thrown on it.

This newfound efficiency will lead to a massive hit to the economy, which in turn undermines the very reason why we're seeking to automate everything in the first place. What's the point of having robot filled factories that can output a thousand cars in two hours if no one can afford the products their building? This efficiency means nothing if it doesn't generate any new cash flow.

The worst case scenario of a sudden boom in automation would be millions of people looking for a job, getting angry at the system, deciding it no longer works for them, and throwing it out. A strong middle class is an absolute necessity for American capitalism, and the last thing we should do is risk screwing it over, making it become nothing more than a thin margin between the absolute rich and destitute poor. It has to be the major part of the economy, and if the economy itself crushes it, there will have to be alternatives considered.

That's not to say that we should go full Luddite, but it's a transition that'll have to be measured and taken slowly.

...and one of the best ways to assure the worst case scenario doesn't come to pass is to support education, so that people have the intelligence and know-how to forge a new path in an increasingly technological world.

11. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Well I'm glad the Full House theme song inspired such an in-depth discussion about economics.