school boards wants to pay poor kids to stay in school!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dinaluvsApple, Nov 19, 2010.

1. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

teaching them to expect handouts from an early age is a great lesson plan!
    1. get paid to stay in school, while kids in china pay to go to school and beat us.
    2. get free needles for being a drug user
    3. get free money for having multiple kids with multiple fathers.
    4. get free money to sit at home and smoke pot.
    http://www.thestar.com/article/891921--should-we-pay-needy-students-to-attend-school

The controversial concept of paying kids to do well has been experimented with in the U.S., with some arguing it is nothing more than a bribe and others comparing it to a scholarship program.

A study of four cities with different approaches found mixed results. New York students, given $50 for doing well on 10 tests in the school year, didn’t do any better. But kids in other cities paid for attendance, good behaviour and improved standardized test scores — or even a flat rate of $2 per book read — noticed a boost in reading scores.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're histrionics are getting quite tiresome.

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

This already happens in the UK. And it's being scrapped next year by the government.

4. dinaluvsApple thread starter macrumors regular

if you dont have any constructive criticism on the topic at hand i will report you for trolling my thread.

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Well said.

6. Queso macrumors G4

Let's just slightly change the emphasis shall we?
    So basically in 75% of the test cities it had a beneficial improvement yes? That would indicate a successful strategy to me.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm in two minds about this idea. On the one hand, the success is already measurable and positive but on the other hand, I agree that it is teaching kids that money drives just about everything.

Oh wait, I work because I have to and I do it because I get paid. Not real sure we're teaching the kids to take handouts as much as we're teaching kids that if they work they get paid. Not sure that's really a bad idea but I do think it should be open to all, not just the kids who believe education is a waste of their time.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If you could start threads without hysterics, I would. That's constructive criticism of you. Start a thread honestly for a change.

9. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

The problem is that our society sees education as a RIGHT, and not a luxury, service, or exciting opportunity. No one values education anymore, it doesn't cost anything so the kids see it as a punishment or an annoying requirement instead of an opportunity to grow. We need to change the national dialog on this topic. If you don't work for something, you don't value it. How such simple truths about basic human nature can elude otherwise intelligent people is simply beyond me.

That's his MO. Get used to it.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Are you implying that all the other countries in the world which offer free education - and better results - see it differently?

11. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I'm saying that every single country in the world would have higher test scores if their children perceived education as something of value which was important for them to work towards... something they felt blessed to be a part of.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

When do you propose they should be put out to work? Five years old? Ten?

13. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

How would you propose to change that feeling?

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

No one?

More "absolute" rubbish.

Education is still highly valued. I work at a state university and see thousands of students, faculty and staff that prove your bleak assessment to be wrong.

15. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Education is still valued by many people. Really. I mean, it's good that some places have decent public schools, but the case in many other countries is different. Brazil included. Public schools are, well, a complete BS. The teachers are underpaid, there is no order, very often they only have half a year of classes because all the teachers quit due to working conditions. And there are MANY poor students who can't afford private education that do better on most fields than richer ones. It just goes to the fact that they realize they actually NEED to get a fine job and do something out of their future, as they won't inherit anything.

I don't really think paying us (yes I am a student) would be the solution though. What needs to be done is to stop hiring people just because they are related to A or B or because they have a piece of paper (diploma) from a fancy college they didn't even care about just because daddy and mommy paid for it.

And don't get me wrong, I don't dedicate myself to my studies as much as I should, but I'm trying to focus more, because I know that $700 per month plus school material isn't something cheap for my parents. Who I reckon should be enjoying their lives at their age, not working their butts off. Just my 2 cents.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course people value education! Fivepoint- WTF? What planet do you live on?

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No one values education? So because we have some bad apples, all kids don't value their educations. Nice quantum leap in illogic there.

Should we judge all Libertarians based on your posts?

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

He's from in the 100 acre wood.

He used to go by the name of Eeyore.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Of note in Brazil if you're poor I believe you are paid to go to school.

20. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

You are, in a way. The parents get a few nickles for having their kids go to school, but most of them would already go as they get food for free, food being one thing that they don't often have at home. As they get money for having a child they can't support, etc. But many people (most, actually) only tell their kids to go to school so they get the money, and then spend it on a flat screen TV rather than support for their kids' future and what not. Then again that's not really for poor families, but for miserable ones. And I don't mean to offend anyone.

I know people who live in a pile of bricks with a garbage bag on top serving as a roof, but have a brand new car. It will get better someday, but people need to stop focusing on looking rich on paper, and start worrying about actually improving their life quality.

21. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

This is the ***** that boils your blood OP but the two wars do nothing for you?

22. dinaluvsApple thread starter macrumors regular

im from canada eh.

only one war for us. plus its a legit UN sanctioned war dont forget that.

23. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Teaching kids that education pays seems to be exactly what they ought to learn. The leap from monetary incentives for success to drug abuse is, however, infantile.

24. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Much ado about nothing, the Education Minister shot down this idea last night. So dinaluvsApple can relax. :p

In case anyone is interested in broaching the problem behind this concept:rolleyes:
    I do feel that this is one place where I think we are failing in our general upbringing of kids. We got to recognize that we shove a lot of rules and pressure down on kids without taking the time to explain things to them. First we've got to explain that a good education is the gateway to fulfilling their dreams and providing a stable foundation for the future. Second we got to stop all this "can't fail" B.S. so that our kids know there are consequences to their choices and learn that making mistakes is a part of life and learning from them and growing from that is a part of becoming an adult.

I feel that in all but the most dire of personal economic circumstances paying kids to go to school might illustrate the "value" of education, but only in the most short-sighted perspectives. I guess the hope is that if we can get their attention that they'll figure out the long term perspective on their own. However education is not necessarily the path to wisdom or enlightenment; and that's what we really need to focus on in the upbringing of our youth.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well that's just silly, ya damn hippie librool! :rolleyes::D