School Cancels Prom over Lesbian Couple

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Mar 11, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/03/10/national/main6287246.shtml

It's a public school. Let's move into the 21st century folks. I know it's difficult, but you can do it.

2. Queso macrumors G4

Good. Hopefully the kids will now organise their own prom event and cut the idiotic faux-politicians that make up their school board out of it. They can even send the board members a DVD of it afterwards to show them what they missed out on.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

WTF? In this day and age? I would be pissed that the school canceled PROM over such an insignificant issue

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I hope they do, and don't take it out on the two girls instead.

Unfortunately, while some Americans are still ignorant, yes.

5. Queso macrumors G4

My guess is that some idiots will follow the local baptist mantra and blame Sapphtanic forces, but the majority will be on their side.

6. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

In my opinion there is sadness for the other traditional students at Itawamba County Agricultural High School that are denied a Senior Prom/Annual Senior Dance at the expense of progressivism and the ACLU... let's hope we can count on these seniors forever after to vote against said progressivism and solidly back traditionalism in their neighborhood polls since they received a bad taste of it applied at the hands of the ACLU in their denial of a prom. That may be a long-term benefit but we can be sure these Itawamba County Agricultural High School students will be forever reminded of the dangers of progressivism. Let's hope the Itawamba County District officials and local citizens find a private facility to host a prom for these students as an alternative! It is the least the county and citizens can do here...

7. Queso macrumors G4

Or better yet they'll take your post as a perfect example of what not to do and organise their own party.

Man, there are some miserable people in the world aren't there? :p

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How does a lesbian couple affect you or any other straight couple? Oh, that's right, IT DOESN'T.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

chances are pretty good that the school board members are not really big politicians. I saw this based on what I have seen at smaller school districts that the school board members are really political and quite often are former students of the district and more often than not have the best interested of the school at heart.

Now that heart could and quite easily could be very wrong but my gut tells me that the student body itself or at least the parents are pretty much anti gay. I feel what really going to happen is those 2 girls are going to be harassed to no end and blamed of it. Now the school board members who are the ones really wrong.

10. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Not that I'm a cynic, but this is Mississippi that we're talking about.

What will happen is that a private prom will be held. And everyone except for about two people will be invited. And frankly, that's a shame.

ITN - Do you recognize that the ACLU did not force cancellation the prom? That decision was made by the school board. Secondly, please explain exactly how having a same-sex couple attend the prom is a "danger"?

11. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Fixed it for ya;)

12. theheadguy macrumors 65816

I can't help but wonder if you are closeted; and if so, will you come out voluntarily-- or will you be caught?

13. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Good opportunity for some other place to snipe the Prom event and get a good rep in the least.

14. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Again, this is a small town in the rural South. Unfortunately, if another place hosts the prom and allows the lesbian couple to attend, not only will they have a very tarnished reputation in the town, but they would probably be boycotted by a majority of the students, and yet another private prom would be held solely to exclude the two girls.

Seriously - smaller towns in the South don't like having change forced upon them. If it weren't for a few semi-prominent court cases, I'm sure that they would still be having a separate prom for people with varying skin tones.

Is that the kind of "tradition" you're referring to, InTheNet?

15. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Why the hate? If there is any part of the country who are devoutly religious, it's the South. That (religion) is probably the root cause of this.

WHO says that only a man and a woman can be a couple? WHO says that only a man and a woman can get married? Just some fiction book called the Bible, and even that has some discrepancies about the issue of gay/lesbian. The Bible tells us that Jesus supposedly loves all of us for who we are, lesbian or not.

What's worse is that the school district tries to hide the reason why they canceled prom. They know that they are wrong.

16. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Let me address your second question first. In the original post in this thread, within the Associated Press (AP) news story, in the fifth sentence, it states: "A school district policy requires that dates be of the opposite sex." That seems to state a clear policy that should be easily understood; seems that way for me anyway. Thus, why allow a student to flagrantly "demand" to be immune from the rules/district policy? The danger here that you ask about is that progressivism. In regard to your first question; yes I am aware that it was not the ACLU that cancelled the prom. That is beside the point. The prom was cancelled by the School Board because the student "demanded" (see article) and the ACLU "demanded" (see article) an exception to the rules/district policy. I hope this answers your question; moreover I hope you can appreciate that others may have differing views on this issue and that there is room for debate here.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The policy was discrimination. Period.

What if the policy said that the couples had to be the same race? Would you be defending that too?

By the way, that's a yes or no question. Don't try to weasel your way out of it. Answer it with one word.

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Darn right! Just because it was "policy" doesn't mean its unquestionable. If a policy is discriminatory, then it should be changed.

Also I don't think the ACLU was demanding an exception, I think it was demanding a change. And rightfully so. So in place of dealing with that, the School Board canceled the whole event(because lets be honest, their argument that is wasn't discrimination would be pretty weak)

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

ITN, there are no words I can use in this forum to adequately describe feelings toward you right now.

Suffice to say, none of them are polite.

Something tells me you may not like the answer.

20. theheadguy macrumors 65816

I find it humorous that people defend such discriminatory policies under the guise of following the "rules/district policy"; it really is so very cowardly.

Your post reminded me of a Supreme Court case we were reading in one of my classes, Buchanan v. Warley, 245 U.S. 60 (1917). The court, in a unanimous decision, held that a city ordinance regarding racial segration violated the Fourteenth Amendment because race was not a sufficient purpose to make a law consitutional.

The ordinance was, admittedly, predicated on race; but after all, it was a rule/policy, just as you want the lesbians to respect. So, respectfully, your argument lacks merit. In typical right wing fashion, "a rule is a rule" only when it falls in line with your particular ideological beliefs.

If you desire that your fellow citizens follow rules/district policies/ordinances that are unconstitutional by way of not allowing equal protection under the law, then by default you do not respect the Constitution and are therefore, unAmerican.

That's disappointing, but another reason I want to see who votes for Palin in '12.

21. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Fighting bigotry and discrimination is a traditional value here in America.

Americans are proud of people who stand up to hate mongers.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Something tells me I won't get an answer.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Ya think?

He's probably off defending the Wicked Witch of the North in a new thread.

24. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    ACLU are suing the school now. They're really going to look pathetic for pulling this sort of stunt. I did some digging about Mississippi - they have gay bars, and clubs and business networks and stuff.. I'm not sure how entirely backwards this town is, then again, the school board must have some serious dinosaurs on it if they agreed to cancel the prom. No way around that point.

http://unityms.org/featured/aclu-su...om-rather-than-let-lesbian-couple-attend.html

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

This sentence makes no sense. Well, there's a surprise.