School children of ANY age to be charged with a felony for fighting or bullying.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Dec 27, 2016.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And the Police State continues. This is nothing more than a continuation of the School to Prison pipeline.

3. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

While I don't agree with this I also don't understand the comment:

Schools and law enforcement officials were previously able to pursue misdemeanor charges for school fights. The enhanced charges could do even more damage to kids’ criminal records, long before students understand what having a record means. And students of color will have an even larger target on their backs.

I don't see this as targeting black kids. Not unless they indeed are the ones involved in more of these fights. In that case, no one is targeting them, they are placing the target on their own back and they are ones causing themselves more damage.

Again, I may not entirely agree with this, but I have a relative who taught in the inner city in Cleveland up until recently and she noted that throughout her entire career, things have gotten by far worse in the last 20yrs with kids being aggressive and fearless knowing teaches can't really do anything to them. Something has to be done and it begins at home. Parents need to parent and being to instill some values into their own kids. It's not rocket science.

4. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Probably the people attacking other people.

They'll be fine as long as they are below the age of criminal responsibility which seems to be 7 in most states. Seems a tad low.........

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

What do you expect? Black parents to teach their kids not to fight? You ask too much sir!

Although felony is harsh and should be reserved for the cases where a group of kids gang up and beat someone to a pulp, I believe a 3 strikes your out approach would work, except not a felony afterwards, but a separation from the parents and stuck in a boarding school with after school labor requirement. Let them earn some cash breaking their back to see why they are in school to begin with.

6. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

With marijuana laws getting laxed they are going to have more for profit prison beds available that need to be filled. Prison prep is the latest advancement in our education system. No inmate left behind.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

o_O why are you turning this into an issue of race?

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The article turned it into a race issue by saying blacks would be more affected by it.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Just because more blacks kids get in trouble could be because they are judged more harshly for similar acts. But you, for some reason, turned that into black parents not teaching their kid to say out of trouble.

Did you see the recent video of the black mother who called the cops because her white male neighbor allegedly choked her 7 year-old son because he allegedly didn't pick up some litter on the ground?

She tells the (white male) cop this while the neighbor stands by, and the cop says to the mother, "Well why don’t you teach your son not to litter?"

Your logic is eerily similar to that cop's.

And just to finish the story ... the mother, now angry that the cop has assumed what she teaches her children, says that it doesn't matter whether the child littered or not, that is no excuse for a grown man to choke a 7 year-old boy.

To which the cop replied, "why not?"

So yeah. It's all those black folks. They're the problem behind all this violence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-arrested-her-instead/?utm_term=.c2ea7436bccd

10. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 604

Look at the state's school supension history. And Missouri is known to have racial tension.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

no, more black kids are getting in trouble because their parent (notice singular) didn't teach them respect and they are actually doing things to get in trouble. The same reason that black males create nearly 50% of the homicides with 6% of the population.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

good luck getting a job with a felony record.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 27, 2016 ---
    that cop should be in jail next to the guy who choked the kid.

13. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 604

They'll end up being School Bus Drivers, while being mad at the world. :eek::eek::eek:

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Like the officer in my example, it's amazing how you assume to know what other people teach their kids.

You should take that talent to Vegas and start making some real money.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Considering the crime rates in black pops they certainly aren't being taught to follow the law.

And nearly 70% of black homes being single family ones probably have a lot to do with that.

16. appleisking macrumors 6502a

And where's your evidence that black people are treated more harshly for the same crimes as white people?

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Where's my claim of fact?
    Do you think that possibility doesn't exist?

18. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

The article did.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The article did not leap to the assumption that ZA made regarding what black parents teach their kids.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Depends on what they are taught at home

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't have any other way to explain how so many of these kids drops out of school and has poor attendance, whats the parents response to this? I know my parents would have made it a non-option via a belt that sat on top of the washing machine when I was a kid.

22. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Now that they have eroded the age of majority down from 18 to 14 and possibly even lower these kids can be tried as adults. That means they can have 1 or 2 strikes before they even leave the school system.

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Cool stop committing violent crime.

24. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

No but they jump right into targeting people of color, etc....

25. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

As an inner city teacher, I'd rather see the parents get the felony charge. Start that in elementary school and there won't be any fights when kids to high school.