Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'm trying to share my pictures on the school network, like many people do, but I can't see to do it. I can see everyone on the network, but I can't get people to see my Mac, which I find a bit odd. Anyway, I've enabled "Windows Sharing" under System Pref>Sharing.

My residence bunches people under different headings. Most people are under the XP category, some are under 98, as in Windows 98. Anyway, it sucks that Macs can see WinXP computers just fine, but WinXP is so incompatible with Macs. A friend has tried searching for me under IanK, as that's the computer name I specified under System Pref>Sharing, but it didn't work. :(

Anyone know what I can do? I moved my files over to my friend's computer by uploading my pictures onto his computer, although it would be great if I could get friends to see my comp.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Oh, and now I believe I can see my computer on the network, but its asking me for a password, and it has me listed as "YOUR-6BVPXYZTQ" or something. I know I definitely didn't set that name up. Its under IanK, I believe. When I don't enter a password and press OK, it tells me that "The alias 'YOUR-6BVPXYZTQ' (or whatever) could not be opened, because the original cannot be found."

I put my pictures under both FINDER>HOME>PUBLIC, and MacHD>USERS>SHARED. I wasn't sure which to use.

Seems like such a simple thing to do, but as I've never had to share files on a Windows network, this all seems a bit tough for what I'm trying to do.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
When I was on my college network, I found weird little problems like this happened sporadically. It too a few resets and assorted other fumbling in the dark. Have you tried getting to your machine via IP address from the outside world? It may just be a Samba problem, not resolving your name...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Well that just doesn't seem convenient for friends and such. There are too many people here to do that, y'know?

Anyway, thanks, but I guess there isn't much I can do. I've done everything I can think of already. I guess I could always upload it to people or something. Meh.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
when i was in the dorms i set up another user with the username and password 'guest'. that way they could log in and see anything that i put in that users directory. i actually deleted all of the other folders except for music (read only) and made a drop box (write only).

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I have the reverse of your problem. My WinTel shows up in the "Network" window (Panther, BTW). So I double click on it. Then I enter the Username and password, which so far seems right. Then I press return. I get the error "Could not find the original of the alias 'WinTel'" or something close to that.

?

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Are you on the same Workgroup as everyone else? To check it out, go to /Applications/Utilities/Directory Access, click the lock, enter your password, and double click on "SMB". If you change the Workgroup, you need to restart SMB. Just uncheck and recheck it in the Directory Access program.

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but it might make it easier to browse to your computer from a Windows machine.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
MoparShaha said:
Are you on the same Workgroup as everyone else? To check it out, go to /Applications/Utilities/Directory Access, click the lock, enter your password, and double click on "SMB". If you change the Workgroup, you need to restart SMB. Just uncheck and recheck it in the Directory Access program.

Thanks. I didn't even know about that. I don't think it worked, though.

Before, System Pref>Shared told me that people would be able to access my computer via \\126w.uow.speedlink....... I'm not sure whether this worked or not, but now the name 126w shows up on the network instead of YOUR-6BVPXYZTQ, which is fine. I think 126w is me, as this is part of the address given to me in SystemPref>Shared, but I still find it strange that this is the name given to me.

Also, when I double click on 126w, it still tells me that the original cannot be found.

Thanks a lot, though. I'm kinda regretting everyone I told who said that Macs connected up to Windows Networks easily. That's just what I read. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.