Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

renshu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
Well my school is having a "back to school" sale on all apple stuff... and i was wondering whether or not its worth it to wait for the merom chipset update or say "f***" it and buy one now...

1.83ghz macbook is $949
2.0ghz is $1049
2.0ghz black is $1249

Macbook Pro Prices are...
$1599
$2099
$2399

Thanks for the help

oh and slightly off topic, but can the macbook run WoW fine? im not too savvy with the dedicated graphics and stuff...

tvguru

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Kenora, ON Canada
If the ones that they have now are more then capable of doing what you need it to, then I would say why not. Even when they bring out the C2D laptops, there is no guarantee the MacBooks will follow suit IMHO.

mac4matt

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Those are great prices! I'd say go for the baseline Macbook Pro. The Pro is better suiting for gaming and by the time 64-bit applications are "in" you'll be wanting a new computer anyway (i.e. more cores, ram, etc.).

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Go for the one with the biggest discount that way you can sell it on later to minimise loses and buy a laptop after Meroms come out.

renshu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
tvguru said:
If the ones that they have now are more then capable of doing what you need it to, then I would say why not. Even when they bring out the C2D laptops, there is no guarantee the MacBooks will follow suit IMHO.
yea well the only reason it caught my eye is cuz my 3 year old inspiron is really dieing on me now... and it sucks trying to play WoW on a 64mb graphix card @ 5fps >_>;;

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
renshu said:
yea well the only reason it caught my eye is cuz my 3 year old inspiron is really dieing on me now... and it sucks trying to play WoW on a 64mb graphix card @ 5fps >_>;;

Dude, buy the MacBook now, especially for those prices! I have a black one and I love it to death. My Dell Inspiron died on me too. Merom may come soon, it may not. Whatever happens, the MacBook is still a perfectly capable machine. WoW runs reasonably well also. It's very playable.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
What school do you go to?! I wish my school offered prices like that.

Go for the low-end Macbook Pro! I'm not sure the Macbook will play WoW all that well.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
boy, with those prices, i can't belive you're even contemplating buying or not! i *love* my blackbook.. heck, if i'd gotten it for $1250, i'd have loved it even more! haha

how can your school afford to give such big cuts? that's crazy.. i wish my school had sales like that!

renshu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
I go to UCR... yea im debating between the white macbook and the base model macbook pro... cuz i kind of want somethign smaller than a 15in, but at the same time im iffy about the dedicated graphics card playing games...and for the extra 500 dollars for a screen, hd, and graphics card update.....

w8ing4intelmacs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2006
East Coast, US
miles01110 said:
Get the Macbook Pro, it's $400 off the retail price.

It's $1549 at the Apple Refurb. Granted that it's refurbished, but then there's less chance of bad battery, whine, moo, too much thermal paste, etc. Still a full one-year warranty too.

The prices at the OP's school are pretty good, but tax is killer.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
tvguru said:
Agreed. Merom may not even go into the MacBooks. It may only go into the MBPs initially. ;)

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
Hm, I'm not too sure whether it'd run WoW fine. You'd definitely have to upgrade the memory on the MacBook.

On my Powerbook with a Radeon 9700 and 1gb RAM I wasn't getting very good FPS (like 20 outside, maybe 8-10 in cities, with all settings on low), but I've heard the new Intels helped out a lot. There's actually a thread on WoW's Mac Forums discussing benchmarks (or there was, haven't played WoW in months).

Btw the PB held up pretty well while switching programs (something my PC similarily specced didn't really do), i.e. switching to AIM, Firefox, etc., but the PC (2.0ghz P4, ATI 9800, 1gb RAM), was running about 40fps to 15fps on full settings.

Edit: I'd go for the MBP if you wanted to run WoW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.