School Makes Boy Take American Flag Off Bike

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MattSepeta, Nov 12, 2010.

1. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

"13-year-old Cody Alicea rides with an American flag on the back of his bike. He says he does this to be patriotic and to honor veterans, like his own grandfather, Robert. He's had the flag on his bike for two months but Monday, was told to take it down.
    Watch the video here

A school official at Denair Middle School told Cody some students had been complaining about the flag and it was no longer allowed on school property.

"In this country we're supposed to be free," said Cody. "And I should be able to wave my flag wherever I want to. And they're telling me I can't." Cody had to take the flag off his bike and put it in his backpack, where he kept it all week.

Cody's grandfather says the school was concerned about racial tensions or uprisings because of the flag. He feels if there was really a problem it should have been brought up two months ago, not during Veterans week. And if it was an issue of safety, parents should have been contacted.
    Hear from the Superintendent here

"No action should be taken. We don't want any repercussion," said Roger Alicea. "We just want Cody to be proud of what he's doing." Roger says the family is not planning to take any legal action, but they do want to meet with school staff.

Cody says he wants to serve in the military some day, and is raising money for a trip to Washington, D.C. in the Spring.
    "

How heart-warming. So to be politically correct in America our students can not fly an American flag for fear of offending other students? My bet is that no students actually complained.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He should be able to keep his flag on his bike. No question.

3. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

We are in America, that flag stands for all Americans.

The sad part is the people who he is honoring with that flag, fight everyday for the idiots who feel offended by it.

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

This.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good- as it should be.

7. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Mind blowing

Thank god. One of the comments in the original story had a list of the school officials email addresses. Im guessing they received a handful of enlightening opinions

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I might be wrong, but doesn't pretty much every school in the country have a flag flying somewhere on its campus?

9. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

AFAIK every school I went to in TX, UT, MO, MN, IN, and MT had flags waving on school campuses.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We had one. Actually, we had a few.

11. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

The kicker here is they weren't on bikes. American Flags on bikes is a universal symbol of hate and THAT is why it had to be removed. :rolleyes:

12. 184550 Guest

This is rather bizarre, I had to reread the article to make sure they weren't talking about the Confederate flag.

13. .Andy, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

.Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Doesn't the link you provided in the OP actually say that he's allowed to ride with the flag on his bike again?

:rolleyes:.

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I recall a situation like this has come up before. A student wore a flag somewhere on his person and was ordered to take it off or was suspended. I'm too lazy to find the link.

I think the issue at the time was that immigrant or hispanic students viewed it as harassment. Apparently, they had been bullied in the past by other students telling them they were un-American or something while brandishing a flag.

I don't know if that is the case here, but its typical of a lazy school administration to focus on the flag and not the more difficult job of dealing with the bad behavior. That, or there is an administrator who *wants* to create notoriety and/or controversy. There is usually more to stories like this than the headline that sets people off.

15. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

its a mad world out there.

before you know it we will have.... ok well I cant possibly come up with anything more insane than an american student being made to stop using his american flag in a rather heart-warming manner in an american school in america days from veterans day.

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Or they could focus on both. The flag for immediate safety of the individual whilst they find out who is making/defuse the threats.

You think that's the "insane" thing to happen in the world :confused:? Not for the first time I think your priorities are entirely skewed.

Must be quality fox journalism then. Updating stories without highlighting the fact.

Well they didn't. They asked him to remove the flag for his own safety. But beat whichever drum you like.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The school was getting slammed after they made that request.

I can't believe the school administrators didn't think before making this decision.

18. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

"students complaining, some racial tension, basically concerns about his safety."

Let me propose an accurate parallel. A middle school in the south- openly gay student is being bullied. He is being bullied because he is openly gay. According to your logic, the correct course of action would be to force the student to stop being openly gay, for his own safety?

Cant wait to hear this rationalization...

EDIT- and yeah, your right. There are more insane things happening- Nitwits are getting rich from reality TV, students are rioting in london, and I was wearing sandals and a t-shirt in minnesota on November 11th.

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Not for the first time you've not read or listened to all the information supplied in your own link. I suggest you watch the video of the interview with superintendent. You're only getting half the story if you rely on the bait provided by the fox news filters. He explains it reasonably and quite clearly and of no surprise and he admits that perhaps they made the wrong decision but Cody's safety was their primary aim.

20. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I understand that. My quote that you quoted was a direct quote from the video which quoted a school official on why they made him stop with the flag bit.

His safety was among 3 things, also including "racial tension" and "complaints."

Seeing as to how you seem to think the school was in the right by making him stop with the flag "for his own safety," I would really, really appreciate an answer to my hypothetical.

If a gay student was being threatened because of his openly gay demeanor, should the school force the student to stop being openly gay, for his/her "safety?"

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

And not knowing who had made the threats. He said (at the time) that they think they know who they are but still aren't sure but want to talk to them and their parents.

He also mentions something about racial tensions that had grown at the school at a previous event? What was that MattSepeta?

If a broken hypothetical is the pinnacle of your argument where you're trying to shoehorn the analogy an innate trait with flying a cheap flag you're on your own.

But if I was in such a position and worried about physical harm to a gay student from unknown quarters I'd certainly take steps to protect them. I'm not sure asking them to "not be openly gay" would fix the problem though. You might need to put some more thought into your analogies.

22. Queso macrumors G4

Another WTF are they thinking moment. Glad it turned out right in the end.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hey guys, no need for further argument- the right thing got done.

24. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

What does an openly gay person look like? Do they wear sandals in November?

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It sure did. Unfortunately I don't believe the superficial patriotic beat up of the story was the right thing by the students or the school.