School Shooting In San Bernardino Elementary School

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Apr 10, 2017.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Police are saying that it is an apparent murder-suicide. Hopefully the injured will make a full recovery.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/1...hool-shooting-multiple-injuries-reported.html

2. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

Ugh. Poor San Bernardino :( Don't know what draws the crazies out over there.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Please tell me no children were injured, let alone saw this..

BL.

4. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

News is reporting that it happened in a classroom. Also that 2 children have been transported to the hospital. Obviously, this is a fluid situation, and this could be incorrect.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

TOO early to tell, some reports show 4 shot :(

6. Mildredop macrumors 68020

This has become so normal in the US that to find it on BBC News in the UK, you need to navigate to the "US & Canada" section to see it mentioned.

Sad really.

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

bloody hell.. :eek::eek::(

BL.

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Murder suicides in classrooms? Ya know what's become so normal in Europe, cars/vans being driven into crowds. ;)

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

What's freaky about this is that I'm eerily reminded of the video for Jeremy by Pearl Jam. How prophetic for 1992/1993, n'est-ce pas?

Thanks for the update. I'm not wanting to follow this, because when I see headlines like this, I picture my children at school, and it makes me cringe.. No matter what the dispute is, children aren't involved in it.

BL.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I HATE SB707, just picked up my daughter at school and I had to wait outside while wife signed her out :(

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Poor kids, I hope no child is critically injured although the trauma might scar them for life.

13. bradl, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

whoa.. was she at that school?!?

That's what concerns me more. Yes, the two teachers doing this is a sad issue altogether, but they could have prevented this and handled it better than to take their issues to work with them. And call me a snowflake for thinking of the children, but as a parent of a 1st grader and one going into kindergarten next year, that can't be helped.

Again, it's times like this I wish they could have handled it the way we did back in my time in school: Breakdancing. And everyone knew you were serious if you brought out the cardboard box to put on the floor.

BL.

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Lets hp
    Well you're short, bald, and Mexican. They'll give you sanctuary in any number of cities in California no questions asked, but they won't let you in the schools. ;)

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So glad we have laws against suicidal and domestic violence victims... Oh wait.

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Aren't Elementary schools locked down in California when children are present? How did the guy make it all the way to the classroom? My kids schools are like Fort Knox when I go to pick them up.

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

No, though like at other schools, they are required to go to the administrative office for permission to be there.

What is the problem though, is the layout of schools here. Most campuses are not enclosed, where the entire school is in one big building (not including portables). There can be multiple wings of the school that are in separate buildings on the same physical campus, but aren't not connected or enclosed in a single building. This is obviously due to weather; no need to have everything enclosed if there isn't any major inclement weather, like you'd have in the midwest or east coast.

That leads to the other issue: we do not know (yet) if the other adult involved works at the school. If so, then there wouldn't have been any such reason for the person to have to go to the administrative office for a pass to be there, and would be allowed not only on campus, but into the teacher's classroom. Normally, if an adult non-employee
    were there, they would have an aide watch over the classroom while the teacher went to the office to meet the adult, or have the child go there if the person is asking for the child.

BL.

18. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

guns 4 kids and teachers! after all it's only the good guys with guns can stop bad guys with guns.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

different school . had to pick her up around 10:30, before SB707 I could just go straight to school & pick her up, NOW I have to pick up the wife while I wait OUTSIDE of school grounds :(

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

yay.. thanks for bringing up this debate again, when we were genuinely getting along. :rolleyes:

BL.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 10, 2017 ---
    That's interesting.. is this just for when schools are on lockdown?

I'm green at this, because I've never had to go through something like this (and hopefully, never will).

BL.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

it's a murder suicide, so the bad guy became the good guy when he stopped himself with the gun :eek:
    --- Post Merged, Apr 10, 2017 ---
    no, since SB707 it's all the time. I can't be on school grounds with my CCW anymore. hell according to the class I just had IF I enter school grounds my gun needs to be in a locked container AND the ammo is another locked/separate container and I can't leave the car unattended :rolleyes:

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Now that... is a paradox. :p

Back to the school layout thing. Perfect example.. if you have the stomach to do so, remember back to those old episodes of Beverly Hills 90210. See how open the school is? That was filmed at Torrance High School, just south of Los Angeles. That's how most schools are here in CA. So when you see how open it is because of convenience and weather, you don't need that single, 3 - 4 story building school to fit all classes in.

This is a prime example of that openness and convenience that California weather gives you can also go against you.

BL.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

most of the schools nowadays are surrounded by chain link fences, still plenty of ways to get in, some have unarmed guards at the gates in one of the schools my son attended but they are gone not long after class starts :rolleyes:

24. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Do they have resource officers? We just started getting them when I was graduating high school think late 90's. I know I had to go back a few years ago for a transcript and they doors were locked and you had to go to a certain door and immediately sign in with the resource(city cop) officer clearly visable.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

2 per school but not there all the time, at least it seems they go out patrolling the surrounding areas.