School shooting in Winnenden, Germany outside of Stuttgart

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by cleanup, Mar 11, 2009.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7936817.stm

:(

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

At least 15 dead now. Some killed as the gunman was running away from the school where he continued to shoot.

The gunman (17 year old ex pupil) apparently has been killed in a shoot out with police.

Not a good day.

10 People in Alabama have been shot as well (although not in a school).

3. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

And no doubt Marilyn Manson was loading for him.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It seems that the gunman did not turn the weapons on himself either - he was killed in a shootout with police. Suicide by cop.

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

it looks like he used one of the legal guns of his father since one of them is missing
    also multiple policemen are badly injured

6. Nojja macrumors member

This is getting unoriginal. What is wrong with these kids, even if you are mobbed or maybe abused by your father or whatever, you make what you want of your experiences. There are people who have had a terrible start in their life, but have become wonderful people as grown ups then there are people who takes negative experiences and makes something negative out of it.

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

according to the press conference on n-tv the father owned 15 guns, 14 which were locked up in a gun safe and 1 stored unsecured in the bedroom

now guess which one was taken ... (there is a reason why there is a law which requires locking up guns)

8. G.T. macrumors 6502a

Why would you even say that, I hope you are trying to be funny. Anyone that blames Manson or any other artist does not have any idea what they are taking about.

Manson is a very intelligent person who people are too quick to judge. When he got blamed for columbine he had this to say:

Michael Moore: If you were to talk directly to the kids at Columbine or the people in that community, what would you say to them if they were here right now?

Marilyn Manson: I wouldn't say a single word to them, I would listen to what they have to say and that's what no one did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90xJVOUuV-I

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

There's going to be a lot more laws soon I imagine, as the German lawmakers react to this tragedy. I wonder what gets banned after this.

10. trule macrumors 6502

Keeping guns at home. There are plenty of shooting clubs where they could be stored.

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Good guess. Though the problem wasn't the guns that were locked up at home - it was the gun that wasn't locked up.

News articles have already mentioned revising gun laws in Germany as a result of this, but they are also blaming violent video games again. :rolleyes:

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

as was expected ... though compared to the last time the actual guns are getting it this time

and from new informations the guy did actually shoot himself after getting wounded by a police round

it sure was quite a bit of a firefight
    [​IMG]

13. trule macrumors 6502

Yes, and they will decide that removing all guns from domestic homes is the best way to protect the population from negligent owners and their troubled family members (with the usual exceptions for law enforcement etc). Guns in Germany are tightly controlled already so this extra level is quite easy to implement.

They may also ban hand guns or guns with certain magazine size?

I don't think the Germans will take to well to this kind of thing happening again, its not really what people expect.

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

More likely they'll just go for a more sweeping firearms ban, perhaps outlawing everything?

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89?? That's not your Mother's shotgun, people!!!

Blame the shooter, then the weapon used, but not all guns.

16. trule macrumors 6502

No, there is quite a hunting heritage in Germany so that would not be possible. The one thing about Germans is that they usually are sensible about these things and tend to try to fix the actual problem, which in this case seems to be access to weapons and types of weapons available.

Perhaps something like in the UK will happen? In the end you have to ask why are handguns even available to the general public except in exceptional cases? I would like to shoot hand guns, its fun, but I don't like that they are in my neighbours house. I would happily have a gun and store it at a gun club.

Keep in mind this is Germany, not America, very different situation.

17. trule macrumors 6502

The focus will be on preventing, blame is not particularly helpful once the deed is done.

18. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'd probably read that as a ban on everything that is not a bolt-action or break-action hunting rifle. In other words: all handguns banned, all autoloading rifles and shotguns banned. Unless you grandfather in those guns already in the system, you're going to have to buy them back from owners (or force them to surrender them for free.).

In addition, you'd have to come up with a place people could store hunting/sporting weapons if it's not legal to keep them at home, and come up with a legal method for transporting them (some additional licenses I suppose).

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Not all shotguns, just auto-loaders.

Single and double-barrel break-action ones should not be affected, IMO.

Sorry, a miss-read. "all autoloading rifles and shotguns banned"

20. trule macrumors 6502

If they went that far then yes, not so sure on the shotgun as that's used in some forms of hunting.

To be honest I doubt they will ban anything, or if they do it will only be hand guns.

Storage is no real problem, the gun clubs around here are pretty nice (I'm 15km from where the shooting happened) and adding secure storage would not be difficult. There are at least 2 gun clubs with 3km of my house, so its not like its an inconvenience for anyone to have their guns stored away from the home.

21. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That's very tragic. My heart goes out to the families and German community. :(

22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Indeed. Every time this happens my first reaction is always horror as I place myself in the shoes of the victims, then shock (WHY would someone want to do this?), then anger.

No matter what laws we pass afterwords or who we blame, we can't bring people back from the dead, and that's the tragedy that is so difficult to accept.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think people are always more shocked when it happens outside of the US. ;)

Yeah, they should come up with a new way to take out their rage on people.

24. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Once Germany bans handguns, I'm sure they will.

25. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Don't fret GT it was meant to be a joke. I was implying that the media would regurgitate the usual claptrap.