Schwarzenegger orders cuts amid fiscal crisis

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Aug 4, 2008.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Schwarzenegger orders cuts amid fiscal crisis

Wasn't the last guy recalled so the Governator could fix this problem?

On the plus side:

Either way, we're screwed.

2. pooky macrumors 6502

The last guy didn't pull anything nearly as stupid as this, and he got recalled. Not sure why the same crowd isn't trying to toss this idiot out on his ass.

The Gov. is getting sued by the employee union, since it's probably not legal to lay people off like that without notice.

Half my office was laid off last week. I'm not a state employee, but a number of people who work with me are. The funny thing is, our state employees were paid out of a federal grant that we got for this specific purpose. So now, it amounts to the state stealing the grant from us and the feds to fix their budget problems.

Whatever, California is ****ed. I'm getting the hell out before the ship sinks.

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Of course, the current state of the economy might have something to do with the situation as well.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Isn't CA an 'at will' employment state?

Lethal

5. pooky macrumors 6502

I'm not a state employee, so I don't know exactly how it works, but I do know that it's not that simple. This is judging by the herculean effort it takes to get anyone hired through the state around here.

In any case, the comment on the legality of the move is not my own, but came from the representative of the union suing the Gov. They seem to think the layoffs were illegal. The state controller is also refusing to comply, claiming that the pay cuts for other employees are also illegal.

Basically, it's a big mess.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So how do you pay employees at all when the money runs out. Didn't the Governator say that employees will be reimbursed after everything is settled.

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

He did, yes. But what he didn't mention was that the temporary state employees may not get rehired back at their jobs. This is a right-to-work state, so they can sack you at any time, without notice, just as you can leave any time, with/without notice.

What he should have done (IMHO) is cut the senator's and assemblymen's pay until they come up with a budget. Those people are still being paid a six-figure salary and not doing a damn thing. It isn't as if Arnold is getting paid; when he took office, the first thing he did was put the Governor's salary back to the state.

BL.

8. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Controller: State computer system not up to making pay cuts

That would be funny if true.

9. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Use the axe Governator. This is why I voted for you...

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Davis was ousted in the aftermath of the 2001-2 recession. Didn't seem to matter to his supporters then that the state of the economy might have something to do with the situation Davis found himself in.

Schwartzenneger was elected on promises to fix the financial woes of California. I guess that was just all rhetoric and fancy speeches. He's done nothing to address the systemic imbalance between spending and income.

Of course, he faces the same problem Davis faced (and which Davis was roundly criticized for, while Arnold gets a pass) in that much of California's spending is mandated by law and is not discretionary. Until we address that issue (and it's a VERY tough issue to address) every governator to come will face the same problem. And occasionally when one can successfully demonize one, they'll get recalled over it.

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

A Mr. McCauley thinks he has a solution:

http://www.sos.ca.gov/admin/press-releases/2008/DB08-078.pdf

"WEALTH TAX. CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT AND STATUTE.
    Imposes one-time tax of at least 55% on property exceeding $20 million of a
    California resident or held in California by nonresident. Imposes one-time tax
    (between 36.5% - 54.3%) on income exceeding $10 million when resident dies or leaves California. Imposes additional 17.5% tax on total incomes of taxpayers with income exceeding $150,000 if single, $250,000 if married; 35% if incomes exceed $350,000 if single, $500,000 if married."

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

All those in lala land won't like that.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Wait a second, isn't federal minimum wage less than CA minimum wage, and less than some CA city minimum wages.

Shocker there, lets pay state workers less than burger flippers. Just because we have a budget shortfall.

If a corporation tried this in California, the CEO would likely be sitting in Pelican Bay.

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Is there a place I can find California's annual or quarterly expenditures?

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

http://www.ebudget.ca.gov/Revised/BudgetSummary/SUM/8867193.html

$103 billion. Up less than two percent from last year, which is impressive. But, with reduced business activity, there is a shortfall of roughly $16 billion.

Way over-simplified, California has had high-cost people moving in, and highly-taxed people moving out.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Far from true. The ones who can't afford to live here are leaving, and leaving behind those who still can. Just look at school enrollment numbers, for one indicator.

And by leaving I don't mean moving to the Central Valley.

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Approximately 65% of California's spending is mandated by law. Only about 35% is spent at the discretion of lawmakers.

California voters have a nasty habit of being very anti-tax while simultaneously being very pro-spending. Many of these anti-tax measures and spending mandates are piled on via voter-driven referenda. (I'd personally support a ballot initiative declaring all previous ballot initiatives to be null and void and the process scrapped or completely revamped.)

It limits the ability of any governor -- Grey Davis included -- to alleviate budget trouble without raising taxes. But political opponents will inevitably seize on the issue and use it as a cudgel on the incumbent. That it hasn't happened to The Governator yet is only because the Democratic bench is pretty thin at the state politics level right now.

19. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

I highly disagree with the tax figures for married couples with <$250,000 income.

It'd put my family (were we in California) in a very harsh position, considering our income is very low above that.

Either way I don't see it happening any time soon.

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

It's true.

The whole entire system, like a lot of payroll systems, and a lot of things for the state of California, are written in COBOL.

/. covered this in detail with two different articles.. but it's bloody hilarious that this is still being used, and there aren't many COBOL programmers around, and if so, they look like Sid from UserFriendly!

Although, if you know it, you may find yourself with a semi-stable job over here. I hear they're looking. ;)

BL.