Schwarzenegger signs gay rights bills

bradl

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
A step in the right direction for California (FINALLY), but still a ways off, thanks to Prop. 8. This does, however, allot for same sex couples to take a trip to Boston, get married, come back, and have their marriage recognized.

The Prop 8 supporters are already up in arms about it. Discuss.

BL.

STORY

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has signed two gay rights bills, one honoring late activist Harvey Milk and another recognizing same-sex marriages performed in other states.

In the last of hundreds of bill actions taken before midnight Sunday, Schwarzenegger approved the two bills by Sen. Mark Leno, D-San Francisco.

The governor last year vetoed the measure declaring May 22 a state day of recognition for Milk, suggesting that the former San Francisco supervisor be honored locally. But he subsequently named him to the California Hall of Fame.

Leno's SB 54, meanwhile, requires California to recognize marriages performed in other states where same sex marriage is legal.

In a signing message, Schwarzenegger said California will not recognize the couples as married but will "provide the same legal protections that would otherwise be available to couples that enter into civil unions or domestic partnerships out-of-state. In short, this measure honors the will of the People in enacting Proposition 8 while providing important protections to those unions legally entered into in other states."

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Wait- a conservative who lives in the real world? Is it possible?

Good for Arnie. Hope he's prepared to take a lot of heat for this. The right wing is going to freak out on him.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
Get to zee choppa!

And fly to Boston for a legally recognized marriage in California.
C wut I did thar?

This is great. Thumbs up Arnold. I hope you know the crap thats coming your way. Sad but true.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
It's a start, but until the totally obscene Prop 8 is overturned California is still tarnished.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Wait- a conservative who lives in the real world? Is it possible?

Good for Arnie. Hope he's prepared to take a lot of heat for this. The right wing is going to freak out on him.
Its likely that prop 8 may have not passed at all if droves of new voters in the minority demographics wouldn't have shown up to vote for Obama.

Black and Latino voters who predominantly vote democrat also backed prop 8 in majority (up to 70% of African Americans who voted for Obama backed prop 8). Whites were split down the middle because unmarried people tend to be opposed to it.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
I dont know a lot about U.S. politics, or politics in general. In fact what i do know about politics over the pond comes from the excellent West Wings shows :D But aren't Republicans against this sort of thing in general? Anyway good on Arnie :)

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I dont know a lot about U.S. politics, or politics in general. In fact what i do know about politics over the pond comes from the excellent West Wings shows :D But aren't Republicans against this sort of thing in general? Anyway good on Arnie :)
From a republican ideological standpoint it doesn't make any sense to restrict who gets married, thats government interference in your personal life. Unfortunately a majority of Republicans are also Christians and there is a push from religion to not allow same sex marriages.