Science may have doomed us.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JagdTiger, Jul 14, 2019.

1. JagdTiger macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

2. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Science can’t. Only interpretation of science can... from my understanding.

3. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I refuse to click on the click bait. Science has helped humanity immensely, will it doom us in the end? Some people have theorized that it will. I will take that risk over sitting in a cave while spending all my time trying to hunt for things just so I don’t starve.

4. JagdTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

If nuclear war breaks out you will be sitting in a cave if the radiation poison does not get you before that.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Did you mean religion? We are pretty damn behind because of it

6. Solver macrumors 6502a

Funny thing is, if it wasn’t for science and the application of, none of us would be alive.
    Each of us would be doomed, never to have been born.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Well, Jesus invented the Internet, and our messages to each other are being carried by TCPAngels.

8. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Clearly you are NOT religious! If you were you would understand prayer based communication is clearly UDP based... :)

9. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

You're alive today because of science. Practically every aspect of your life, science plays a major role in. Your ability to fill your head with tin foil garbage and communicate over the net is because of the role science played.

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Obviously that is not what I was talking about. I said “messages to each other”. Do you pray to me? Because I am certain that I do not pray to you.

11. cube macrumors P6

I was sure this had to be another Jagd thread.

12. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Guys, run a wire shark and sort out your beliefs.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

er. People were alive before science came to be. Today we live longer and we have over populated earth because of science
    See above

14. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Never said there wasn't down sides, but that still doesn't mean Im wrong either.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I would like to be frozen until the Star Trek versión of the world (TNG) is alive and well. We are far too ugly and stupid right now :(

16. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Both science and religion, if taken to extremes, can doom humanity. I will give you buttery good examples, my amigo:

Example 1. Religion used to doom humanity:
    jonestown-massacre-jim-jones-640x480-ap.jpg
    30_years_after_jonestown-1.jpg

Example 2. Science used to doom humanity:
    _ivy_mike__atmospheric_nuclear_test_-_november_1952_-_flickr_-_the_official_ctbto_photostream.jpg

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

We should ban humanity as both have used it in the wrong way :p

18. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Just make sure it is the latest version, older versions have some nasty vulns.

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I would argue that, for all its many faults, religion is what made human civilisation possible.

Religion, in its simplest form, is a method by which man attempts to explain the unexplainable. And that by attempting to organise and understand the baffling mysteries of the universe, it set in motion the processes which led, ultimately, to our scientific world. Ancient civilisations observed the heavens to create calendars. Religion was the inspiration for our earliest great buildings and engineering achievements.

Religion also created our system of laws. Religion, in pretty much every form, created codes of human behaviour that set out what was acceptable and what was taboo. (Taboo - a word from Polynesia, to illustrate how near-universal the practice was.)

Religion is a mechanism whereby groups of individuals agree to believe in fictions.

But before you dismiss that as foolish, consider this: There is no Universal Law about Justice. There is no Einsteinian or Newtonian physics behind Human Rights or Free Speech. Lions and Lemurs don't care about such arcane concepts.

Only humans do. And it was religion that taught us, as a species, to believe in Fictions.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Science and religion have good and bad aspects to it.

21. Altis macrumors 68030

I'm completely non-religious and tend to agree.

As for science, it's great. Not sure if it doomed us, but friendly reminder: the sun will explode one day. :p

22. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Yes, agreed. Religion…. is the earliest form of human "Law and Government". In the earliest days of human civilization, mankind was not ruled by kings, princes and warlords. It was ruled by shamans and holy men, who were seen as the intermediary of the divine beings (God or gods). That's why the earliest (Biblical-era) governments were theocracies. In essence, "Gods' Law" was the law of the land. It was basically, "Behave and follow Dagon's rules, or you will be stricken down and Great Hastur will enter your tent and eat your children tonight!"

As human civilization advanced, secular rulers (kings, warlords, chieftains, etc) rose to pre-eminent status, and clerics/priests/shamans were pushed aside to a secondary or advisory role. By this time, kings and despots no longer feared God or the gods, and they barely listened to the priests and clerics (whom the commoners still viewed as the representatives of God). In fact, by the late medieval period, many kings and tyrants (e.g. Henry VIII) gladly killed, tortured, oppressed or imprisoned any priests or clergy that tried to dissent against their rule. The kings and despots had become more secular. They no longer cared about God or divine beliefs. They cared more about their material hold on power and rulership.

23. bandrews macrumors 6502a

24. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I do pray to you every night! But seeing that it is UDP based I can never tell if you get them or not.. :(

25. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Uh. Uggh.. I clicked on the link.

Was it a complete waste of time? Probably not. But nothing there half as interesting as some of the opinions here in this thread.

To save you the trouble: A website peppered with ads for products such as "organic hemp protein powder" and Baobab fruit powder. Organic chlorella tablets. A "bio scarf" and organic turmeric extract. Ya'll get the picture.

The editorial content? Ranting about the "climate change hoax" and worrying over the siting of California's nuclear facilities near the San Andreas fault.

I'm not sure how it will help, but be sure to stock up on organic Tumeric extract before California dissolves in a pool of radioactive waste.