Science Standards (by State)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Iscariot, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

link

[​IMG]

How did your state fair, and how do you feel about it? For scientific literacy, the United States is languishing behind other top nations such as Japan, the UK and Canada, albeit not far behind. Do you think this represents a potential problem with repercussions?

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

3. Iscariot thread starter macrumors 68030

Iscariot

America: thinking with it's wang.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Credit where it is due. America's wang has gone from an F to an A :).

6. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

And that's an "A" for South Carolina. Cool.

Now, can we all get over this chick?
    :rolleyes:

7. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

My state gets a B, which I can't decide whether I'm surprised about or not. My locally educated classmates are sharp people, but we don't spend much on public education per student.

You'd think we'd be lower, being such a religious state and all ;)

SLC

8. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

Oklahoma got an F! I'm so proud of this great state. Only four others got the Fantastic score. Suck it Abysmal California, Bad Nevada, Crappy Montana and Decent Wyoming.

9. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

You have no idea, you really don't...:) Not only the Bible Belt, but the very buckle thereof.

10. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Kansas has an A? Really? Hmm, that's not what I expected at all.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

nor conn. a D

12. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

The Flying Spaghetti Monster approves of science education, apparently...

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

isnt SC a fairly religious state?;)

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

C in Missouri....can't say I'm surprised. My public high school stuck to science but that was in the St. Louis suburbs. Schools out in rural MO aren't so great.

15. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Yes, in that a hammer can be described as a fairly blunt object.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't know why people are surprised. Aside from a general disclaimer in high school I never learned about creationism. College was another story, my science prof basically let the religious kids know that none of their ******** was going to fly in the course on the first day.

I don't expect the jokes about Kansas to stop though.

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Creationism is not science. It belongs in the RE classes.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Not sure what RE stands for, but I don't believe religion has any place in the public schools unless it is taught in a fair manner (all religions).

19. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Funny, that stood out to me too. Weren't they recently debating adding creationist theory to school curricula there?

20. Iscariot thread starter macrumors 68030

Iscariot

That's more a reflection on the school board than the school system, and the two are (not always) connected. Despite the best efforts of some school board members, it seems the educators have done a quality job.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its been basically banned from science curriculum since 2007. The schools would try to add a disclaimer in for quite some time to not offend kids, but now they aren't allowed to even reference intelligent design.

Creationism was never taught in the classroom from my experience though (HS 1998-2002), it was basically given as an option opposing evolution, but never gone into detail (I probably would have walked out).

Basically a "hey don't tell your parents and have them up at the board meeting next month breathing down my throat".

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I will ask how are they bases those grades. Does for example Texas get an F because of creationist having some part to do with the science class? If that is the entire argument I am sorry but I would call the grading of the states well beyond worthless. That is picking on one little part of a larger field.

That being said I can not judge the state of Texas because the HS school I went to was one of the best in state and even one of the best in the country but what do you expect when almost the entire student bodies parents are college educated and on top of that chances are really good that at least one of them is a Doctor, lawyer or an engineer. Engineering being the largest chunk of them.
    In case people are wondering those engineers either work for the oil industry or on the space program. Nasa is only about 5-10 mins from where I line.

now in my science class what I remember is Creationism was stated as one possible theory and that was the end. No details were given and no backing. Theory of evolution was talk about and how it came to place but even then that plays a very small part in those sciences. We study the cells and how they work. Now I am running memories 12+ years old. I never have liked biology so never cared for it. I cared more about chemistry and physics because it makes since and can be tested.

Evolution, creationism and what not can not be tested since it is pure theory.

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Evolution is fact and theory.

24. Iscariot thread starter macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Evolution is highly testable.

25. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Religious Education. It's where creationism belongs in schools (not public schools of course).

Evolution has been tested so many times it's now accepted as fact. Creationism cannot be tested because it is based on words in a book rather than any actual evidence.

Any school teaching creationism alongside evolution in science class is failing the kids.