Scientists propose one way trip to the red planet

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chrmjenkins, Nov 15, 2010.

1. chrmjenkins, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2013438727_apusonewaytomars.html

This is something Buzz Aldrin has advocated for a while. What are everyone's feelings? Is it ethical to send someone to another planet with no plans to return them (albeit with a plan for their survival on the new planet)?

Personally, I see no harm in a free will choice to undergo such a mission. I'm also interested in the private sector funding for such an endeavor the article suggests.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sounds like a very good idea. It would take some seriously dedicated folks, but it needs to be done.

3. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

This is the most disturbing quote (although most of it is disturbing) in that it indicates, "oh they are old so we will send them out as sacrifices for our experiment. incase they die at least it wasn't someone young and needed."

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I couldn't get past the first paragraph without nearly choking on my Diet Coke:

Now I'll freely concede that it was hundreds of years ago and that none of us was around to witness it; but my guess is that those early settlers who left Europe had a reasonable expectation to find an abundance of breathable air, drinkable water, arable land, and suitable temperatures when they got to the New World.

Unless they're planning on sending dozens (or more) people on this one-way trip, I don't think it's a good idea. Forget for a minute that humans aren't solitary creatures and are used to functioning in a society - how about being able to cover all the bases like having a doctor, a mechanic, a physicist, etc. all along for the ride, just in case, you know, something bad happens?

5. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I would be tempted, but you've got to assume the first shot at this is suicide.

6. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

As long as they're volunteers, I don't see the harm. I think it's exciting, personally.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Read an interesting book sometime back about Mars colonization
    The Case for Mars
    Fascinating reading

8. chrmjenkins thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

There would be constant additions of supplies and people to help the colony grow. I imagine that they'd hope to begin terraforming the planet several decades after arrival.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Why does it need to be done?

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- you would have to send several at once, or at different times somewhat close together.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I still haven't heard a good proposal for how they increase both the atmospheric pressure and oxygen levels (and decrease the carbon dioxide levels, which are more lethal than the lack of oxygen) on the planet. I don't know how they'd be able to go decades with nothing but space suits to keep the pressure and breathable atmosphere up.

Oh, and you also can't just flip a switch and raise the temperature 100°F or so.

That would make sense, but the article said they would start with four people. I wonder how long it would be before the reinforcements arrive?

12. chrmjenkins thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

It will be extremely difficult, if they ever do it. Perhaps they will just focus on radiation shielded colonies (which I suspect, thinking about it). It will no doubt take a great amount of our own resources to get the planet anywhere near livable. The key would be getting the appropriate life forms to grow there to begin the process for us. Then we'd have centuries to do what natural processes take billions of years to do.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It would take a considerable amount of time, but I've heard several theories on how this could be achieved, none of them are fast.

I would say, the next people should arrive a month later at the furthest. I would think two weeks would be best in case something goes wrong for the first group.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No-one gets out of here alive.

But I'll go. Don't send me with HAL, though. Terraforming Mars might be slightly difficult as it no longer has much of a magnetic field.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That is true as well.

16. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

If I weren't married, I think I'd give this some serious consideration. Obviously I'm not a fan of throwing my life away needlessly, but if I felt the mission was of value - why the hell not? The way I see it, life's value is in the experiences you fill it with.

40 years of awesome >> 80 years of yawn

Just my opinion...

17. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

So attempted suicide and assisted suicide should be legal first?

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

See- I'd have to be the opposite. I'd have to be in a serious relationship and have that person come with me. I could never do that as a single person.

19. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Interesting! If anything, this proposal prompts some interesting discussions.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- for me it would cause problems being single. I would feel like I was missing out on a big part of life. The person with me would ideally have to be as involved and dedicated to the project as I was.

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't know. Years and years trapped on a spaceship with no one talk to but my boyfriend and a few others? Where would we get cocktails?

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Learn to brew our own. That could be fun!

23. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You seem very keen on the going to Mars thing, Lee – but a word of caution. Mars appears red due to the iron oxide found in its soil and rocks, not because the surface is totally covered in young red-headed chaps.

I mention this because I wouldn't want you volunteering for the mission having got the wrong idea.

24. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

^^^ LMAO! :D

I was just thinking that I should change my attitude about this - what better time to go on a one way death mission to a desolate planet than when you're married?

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's why I said I would have to be in a relationship. I couldn't handle being on Mars with no sex. I was trying to be more subtle. ;)