Scientology

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TheShinyMac, Mar 12, 2010.

1. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I recently did a project on Scientology for my Christian Thought class, I have to say its really and interesting religion considering you have to pay to advance in the hierarchy of the church. What do you guys think of it, and is there any other "weird to you" religions that you know of?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Quite simply, it's a cult. Nothing less. Oh a scamming, killing cult that does nothing but coerce money from it's followers.

Everything to learn stuff freely available on the Internet or books and that is based on nothing more than a Science Fiction writer.

Also, this thread should be moved to PSRI before it gets heated....

4. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Sometimes I wonder what any priest would say if when he died there was no afterlife for him, but he had a chance to reflect on what he did with his life?

5. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Religion is fascinating. Fundamental Christian sects are weird to me.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

One of my cousin's family are big into it. My uncle committed suicide and my aunt believes the church drove him to it to a degree

7. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Mormonism is weird. They believe Native Americans have Jewish Ancestry, despite DNA evidence proving otherwise.

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

9. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Weirdly weird.

It's a weird church with weird practices and weird teachings. They are almost as weird as catholics. Or even weirder. Weird.

The rule about the money is not as alien as some of us might think. In the past, social status had a severe influence on people's chance of getting a career within a church. Sadly, people's contribution also influenced what they were told about their chances of getting into Heaven. Oh, these krafty catholics...

I wonder whether any Apple senior is a member, though. I bet that they adore the financial model of Scientology and wish that they came up with it first!

10. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Except for Vesmírní lidé sil světla.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

new business plan:

invent a religion and get suckers to pay me

perfect!

12. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

As you wish.

pbr_003AsYouWish.jpg

13. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

People can say what they want about Hubbard but the guy wasn't stupid.

EDIT: Cool. Post in one forum and end up in a different one!

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

He knew how to scam people...

15. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

It's kind of amazing that his crazy story could get so many followers in this day and age. But it's a slick set up. You're hooked and have invested so much before you even know what your "religious beliefs" are. And in the mean time, you've gained some learning skills that are helpful to your life so you think the guy must know what he's talking about.

16. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

It's older than you think! :D

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

1. Invent religion
    2. ?????
    3. Profit!

18. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

19. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Scientology is weird and dangerous. Religion, in my opinion, grows and feeds off of the weak and vulnerable, but Scientology takes this to a whole new level with their personality tests. They are also extremely aggressive. It is not a group you would want to cross.

Weirder than them though has got to be the Raelians. I've had an 'encounter' with this group that can only be described as one of the weirder moment of my life.

20. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

Mormons believe all kinds of weird things besides that "Native Americans" are one of the lost tribes of Israel. Like horses were here several hundred years before they actually were. Or that Eden was in Alabama. You know, things that an ordinary, illiterate gold prospector wouldn't know were false.

About paying to advance in the church hierarchy - Catholicism has this institution called Tithing. For some time, those that gave more, the rich and powerful families, would get much better seats in church and would even get church endorsement. This kind of thing isn't new.

How about the Church of Christ, Scientist (Christian Scientists) that doesn't believe in modern medicine? There's been a number of cases in which Christian Scientist parents have diabetic children, and they allow them to have long, horrible, drawn out deaths rather than give them insulin. Only recent has the government started intervening.

Muslims believe that Mohammad had a flying horse.

True Catholics, according to the Pope, believe they are literally eating the flesh and blood of Jesus.

Jews believe in a childish, capricious God who smites anyone who comes close to being like Him.

Christians believe in the same God, only he's now loving. Also, that a young married woman conceived a child without having sex. And that that child grew up, was executed, and then came back from the dead. And that he's going to come back from the dead again and fly around.

Buddhists and Hindus believe that everyone had it coming, if not for something they did in this life, for something "they" did in a past life. Supposedly, even victims of genocide. Interesting side note on non-violence, Ghandi's solution to the holocaust - all of the European Jews should have committed mass suicide to get the attention of the world. After WWII, Ghandi commented that they would have all died anyways.

Confucians believe that the best days are past us, and all we can do is strive to recreate the good old days.

Daoists believe that the wisest man exists in the purest state of nature - ignorance.

Shinto believes that bad things happen to people because they aren't respectful enough.

Generally, I think the idea of a personal god - an all powerful all knowing entity that knows and interacts with you personally is pretty "weird to me"

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, the whole keep everything a secret thing and just tell you bits a pieces until you pay up $200k + helps a lot.

22. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Thing about scientology is that if I were to post this:

This may be a small (incomplete) fragment of an official secret church document. I think this very small excerpt is fairly safe, but if I were to post much more, the church would probably go nutso and try to sue me and Mac Rumors for copyright infringement. They would argue that this stuff falls under the scope of "trade secrets".

Trade secrets? Come on, now, is this a church or a business? "Trade" is for business, and doctrine (or "tech") should not be covered by copyright law. When they get into that realm, they should lose their tax exemption.

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

They actually lost the tax exemption status back in the 80s for mass federal infiltration and power abuse. I don't know how in the world did they get it back. Scientology is not a religion, it is a business. Anyone suing under trade-secrets operates under business mantra. Yes, they have an aggressive lawyer team, but that hasn't stopped the Internet now has it? See: http://www.xenu.net/

everything related to Scientology is right there... free of charge. No need to sell your kidney to get the money to 'donate' to the church for enlightenment.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, it is a cult pure and simple.