Scored a 2 week old i5 13" MBP for cheap among other Laptops!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tungo529, Mar 9, 2011.

1. tungo529 macrumors member

My cousin is heading off to Georgia Tech and his parents asked me to search for an Apple Laptop for him, with a budget of around $800. As soon as the new ones were released, I searched religiously on a number of forums and Craigslist with the hopes of finding a good deal on the 2010 2.4 ghz C2D 13" models.

Most of the sellers wanted around $1000, respectively for them and I know that they are still worth that or close to it. Sunday night while browsing Craigslist, a seller listed their 2 week old 13" i5 up for sale...........for $850! I immediately contacted him and met up with him the following day. I was stoked! Sure enough, we met and I inspected it. It was a 13" i5 with 320GB HDD, thunderbolt port, all the goodies and only had 4 battery cycles. In addition, it had the 2 year accidental coverage warranty through Best Buy, and he also gave me an incase cover. This whole setup for him was over $1500 and his only reason for selling was to get the 15" model and that since he worked at Best Buy, the company doesn't allow him to return their products, so he threw it up for a quick sale.

Cousin doesn't know he's getting the core i5, because before I got the i5 for him, I told him I picked up a brand new 2.4 ghz 13" MBP for $850 and was going to send that to him. He thinks he's getting the 2010 C2D model, but my uncle offered to take the C2D model instead, as it was brand new and he wouldn't do anything with it, but browse and listen to music.

On another note, my dads client sold me his pristine top of the line stock configuration 13" MBA with applecare for $800 just last week. The GF took this cute little thing.

Talk about an excellent past 2 weeks!

Cliffs:
    - Cousins parents asked me to search for MBP for him for around $800
    - Found a 2 week old i5 for $850 with accidental coverage and incase cover
    - Cousin thinks he's getting a brand new 2010 C2D model, that I paid $850 for but is getting the i5 instead
    - Uncle takes the C2D model
    - Dad's client sold me a top of the line stock config. 13" MBA w/ applecare for $800.
    - The GF took that MBA
    - Scored great deals on 3 Macbook's.....PROFIT

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

It cost him $1500, and he sold it for $850... which is less than most people were asking for the 2010?

I'm sorry, I don't believe this. I think you may have just bought a stolen product.

3. ender land macrumors 6502a

I'm skeptical.

4. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Great deal. How I wish I can find such deals. :( Me off to search my local Craigslist. :p Wish me luck.

5. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

Idk man.. id buy it too haha
    Great deals. Next one you find let me know ;)

6. Cheerwino macrumors regular

Yeah, sounds like one of those Penthouse letters (not that I'd know).

Still, most shoplifters don't also pick up a case and warranty. :confused:

7. mike2732 macrumors member

I saw a really low priced 15" and 13" 2011 MBP recently on Kijiji (craig's list equivalent) and my first thought was: stolen. Obviously I didn't go for it.

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Stolen from his work

9. Ieo macrumors 6502

It's gonna suck when the police show up with a subpoena and take it back to the rightful owner....

10. croftdj macrumors newbie

Sounds funny

I work at Best Buy and we can return anything we buy. You can also return the service plan...as it is pro rated. But anyone can do the same.

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Better wipe that hard drive clean and do a fresh install of OS X on it. Never know with that kind of price...

12. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Quite possible except how do you steal a warranty plan? Wouldn't they just mark the plan as stolen and not honor it? Usually you have to have a receipt for that kind of thing or have your info registered. Not sure how Best Buy these days does those warranty things (I only ever got one through them and it required a receipt).

(of course, could be guy lied about having the plan).

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Stolen from the service dept ... showing warranty and all.

once BB thief unloads it quick for $850 bucks with added stolen case.

long gone

14. tungo529 thread starter macrumors member

The guy works for a company called the Project Team. I have no idea what that is. Only group I know in Best Buy is the Geek Squad and Magnolia department.

Could this really be the case? The deal was so good it was hard to believe and I jumped it. I called into Best Buy immediately as soon as I got home to confirm that the computer was indeed covered by the accidental coverage as he stated by providing them the serial number of the computer, and purchase date. They asked for the name of the purchaser, which I told them, and they confirmed that the computer was covered.

The computer was registered under his name as well, and the accidental coverage was in his name. Before I wiped the hard drive, I saw a screen shot that he took of an event that he attended on March 6 for some Medieval dinner in Kansas City and it was in his name? Does that sound stolen? Purchase date was February 23.

If it is, I'd rather be out $850 than dealing with the headache later on down the road of messing around with stolen property.

I know the MBA and 2010 MBP sure aren't. Guy with the 2010 MBP won it in a raffle at his work (Sprint) and provided me documentation proving it.

15. tungo529 thread starter macrumors member

In addition, he was wearing a black shirt with yellow lettering with his name on it. If he's not that person, he did a real good job playing the role of him.

16. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8F190)

I guess it's possible that you were dealing with a legitimate but just really stupid guy. I'm still troubled that he would sell that cheaply, and also that he would tell you that BB employees aren't allowed to return products they have purchased. That makes absolutely no sense.

17. tungo529 thread starter macrumors member

I don't know if he works directly for Best Buy, but rather that the Project Team is contracted out by Best Buy or in some way affiliated with Best Buy and that's why he told me he couldn't return it. He told me he does jobs all over the city for his work. Before we met, he asked me to come up to his work at the Best Buy in Tiffany Springs to pick up the documentation for the accidental coverage, which for me was a 40 minute drive and I respectfully declined, because of things going on that I just couldn't make the drive. Therefore, he came to me. The guy seemed completely legitimate and he didn't fall off the face of the earth by ignoring me after I got the computer, because I haven't received the documentation for the accidental coverage. He replied to my texts the next day and said he would scan and email me the proof of coverage first thing when he gets into work. We'll see how that goes later on tomorrow.