Scotch Whisky--Any fans/what's your favorite?

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Any fans of Scotch here? If so, what's your favorite? In my (rather limited) experience, I'd say The Glenlivet 15-year-old French Oak Reserve is tops...
Anybody else?

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I'll drink and enjoy most whiskies but my choice would be Glenmorangie Single Malt Scotch Whisky. Very smooth. Hick ;)

crackpip

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
I've gotten into the Isley scotches recently. I really like the peaty flavor; though it seems to be an acquired taste. None of my friends like it.

The 15 yr Laphroaig and the 16 yr Lagavulin are tops in my book. I enjoyed the 10-yr Ardbeg too. The 10-yr Laphroig was a bit harsh.

I've been thinking about branching into some of the other regions, but I'm waiting for a local shop to offer a tasting.

crackpip

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I've gotten into the Isley scotches recently. I really like the peaty flavor; though it seems to be an acquired taste. None of my friends like it.

The 15 yr Laphroaig and the 16 yr Lagavulin are tops in my book. I enjoyed the 10-yr Ardbeg too. The 10-yr Laphroig was a bit harsh.

I've been thinking about branching into some of the other regions, but I'm waiting for a local shop to offer a tasting.

crackpip
16yr lagavulin is also my favourite, you can also get it as double matured too!
There is also a Bowmore 15 yr from the Isley area, but I kinda like the Lagavulin better

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006

crackpip
Interesting...I've tried the 10yr Laphroaig, and could barely swallow the stuff...the taste did nothing for me. Next time I try an Islay, I'll have to look for one of the ones you mentioned.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I like the Macallan 18 and the Highland Park 18.

I started with the Glenlivet 15, but it tastes like crap compared to those two above.

oblomow

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
I once was a big fan of the Islays ( port ellen, laphroaig, lagavullin, bowmore etc) however nowadays if I drink whisky my favourites are the lowlands or the cambletowns. The have more subtle and richer flavour, in my opinion.

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
My favorite is the 18yr Single Malt Glenfiddich. I don't really know the terminology to describe it but it is quite smooth. The bottle I had I found quite enjoyable. Most Whiskeys make me retch slightly (or heavily in the case of Jack Daniels) but there was no retching or watery eyes associated with this giving it an A+ in my book:p.

I prefer rum and tequila with those in the $30 to $40 range I can get 750ml bottles are pleasant to drink in straight shots. Whereas I need to spend at least $60 for Whiskey that I do not struggle with.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
My favorite is the 18yr Single Malt Glenfiddich. I don't really know the terminology to describe it but it is quite smooth. The bottle I had I found quite enjoyable. Most Whiskeys make me retch slightly (or heavily in the case of Jack Daniels) but there was no retching or watery eyes associated with this giving it an A+ in my book:p.
I had that same scotch, Glenfiddich 18, tasted like ***** after having the other two I mentioned. But, YMMV.

arkitect

macrumors 603
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Unique whisky sells for £23,000

Well here's something for all you Whisky afficionados…

;)

A unique decanter of whisky that was blended from some of the finest whiskies of the last 140 years has sold at auction for £23,000.
The Dalmore Oculus had been expected to fetch between £15,000 and £20,000 at the Bonhams auction in Edinburgh.
It was described by the auctioneers as "one of the most precious whiskies ever to appear at auction".
The auction also featured highlights of the collection of the late whisky collector Willard Folsom.
The Dalmore Oculus was created on 15 October by the Highland distillery's master-distiller Richard Paterson, who drew on four decades of his experience.
The oldest whisky in the blend was distilled in 1868, with others selected from 1878, 1922, 1926, 1939 and 1951.
Link…

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
I used to drink Chivas Regal. If I had a lot of money, I'd drink Royal Salute. Glen Levit was a second choice. Gave up drinking over 20 years ago though.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Doesn't mean anything. Different distilleries, different casks, etc.
No it doesn't. Just seemed odd, that they didn't pick up on some things is all. Like how to select a casks for example. :p

Balvinie's unique anyway, as they swap casks late in it's life in barrels for flavoring (shifted to Sherry casks IIRC). Whatever the causality for the differences, I like it. :D

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Wow! I guess there are a few people on here who like their Scotch! :)

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Wow! I guess there are a few people on here who like their Scotch! :)
Well, let's think about this a minute... It's a forum full of Mac owners or enthusiasts (at least use OS X, no matter the machine). Now given the market these systems are aimed at, you're surprised to discover we like good alcohol?!?!? Are you nutz? :eek: :p

My guess, is you'd get a number of hits on all kinds of types (and many premium brands as well). Ports (also one of my likes, especially with cigars) and wines, for sure I'd think. ;) Not to mention others. :D