Scott Walker creates the infinite work week

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Those poor, dumb people in Wisconsin who voted for this joker:

Link

2. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Because caring about my interests is just another way to support "communism".

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Why because now people can work overtime and make a little extra money if they want? Yeah those poor dumb people.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

What? Like we couldn't do that before? Remove a guaranteed a day off, mix with at-will employment, and what you have are a bunch of people mandatory volunteering, because there are 10 people right behind you who'd kill for a job, you lazy bum!

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

7. unlinked macrumors 6502a

How many people are currently forced to work 6 day weeks against their will in Wisconsin?

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Well, that one sociology professor certainly does.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yet on that same ledger, you have Jeb Bush saying that we need to have longer work hours:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/jeb-bush-people-work-longer-hours/story?id=32313997
    http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/jeb-bushs-plan-americans-should-work-longer-hours
    http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/jeb-bush-people-should-work-longer-hours-119884.html
    http://time.com/3951088/jeb-bush-work-longer-hours/

And who quickly rushes to defend his basically pro-business statement? Yep, you got it! Fox!

http://mediamatters.org/research/2015/07/09/fox-defends-jeb-bushs-call-for-americans-to-wor/204341

Yeah.. poor dumb people, indeed.

BL.

10. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

I'm glad Walker ended tenure. Higher education needs a huge overhaul from the guaranteed job nonsense of today. The changes need to go further. All public sector unions must be abolished. Even FDR was against them.

11. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

From the same article:

Just another "victory" for workers.

12. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Get rid of the illegals (by fining their employers HEAVILY) and you'll have more jobs and hours to work. :)

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Walker did not end tenure; he merely removed it from state law. Wisconsin now conforms with the other 49 states that do not address tenure in their state laws.

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

That won't fix nearly as much as you think. Most illegal workers are doing jobs most others don't want to do at wages well below the minimum standard. While this doesn't excuse the practice, it won't work as some panacea for the job market. If anything, it might make some goods skyrocket in price while not offering anything to your average working American.

15. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

A few key words highlighted for those with impaired reading comprehension (you know who you are!)

As a practical matter, I don't think employers will want to pay overtime on a routine basis. And many employees probably won't want to volunteer giving up their time off either. So I don't see much changing with the new rules. In practice, it seems like the worker and the employer have to both assent -- extra work provided voluntarily in exchange for agreed upon extra pay. Maybe for busy season or times when demands are high, like the holidays. What's wrong with that?

The article also mentions that waivers of the mandated one-day-off per week rule are routinely approved 100% of the time. So the rule is nothing but paperwork for government and union bureaucrats. Get rid of it.

16. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

There would be an adjustment period, sure, but that's why you would have to start restricting aid to able-bodied people. You have to give them a nudge to want to find work. When you remove 30 million illegals from the labor pool, there is going to be a demand for those labor services.

The prices would definitely go up since the cheap near-slave labor is now gone, but it would balance out because the work would have to get done by essentially minimum wage labor.

I do admire illegals for their strong work ethic, but that is still no excuse for breaking our laws and siphoning our generous assistance services.

17. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

My wife, who is in education said if he gets the Republican nomination she will be throwing away my ballot so I can't vote for him. You know he is an excellent choice if she and the left get that fired up about it.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't think Walker has the smarts to be President. Many Republicans refer to him as a doofus. Rubio, who wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, spent the past several months studying as he sounds intelligent on the issues now.

19. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Cruz was a debate champion and would make minced meat out of any Dem in a debate, but he has a very unlikeable face. lol

20. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Yeah, but the same was said about W too.

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

And what a sterling example of the presidency he turned out to be.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

this one is not much better.

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And everyone coming from the Reds is a step back from what we have now, if not steps back from GWB.

BL.

24. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Since what we were talking about was smarts, what was your GPA at Yale?

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

YOU are voting based on "age", so please, let's not kid ourselves here.