Scott Walker Wants To Fight Feds Over Welfare Drug Tests

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Sep 16, 2014.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

what is the saying? the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    The sad part is the voters want this (well till they have to pay for it) Because conservatives think everyone on welfare's a bum and a drug addicted baby making lazy worthless human.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/15/scott-walker-welfare-drug_n_5822552.html
    WASHINGTON -- Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) has come out in favor of making poor people prove they're not on drugs if they want food stamps or unemployment insurance -- even if it means a showdown with the federal government.

Walker's drug test pitch comes as the Wisconsin Republican is in a close campaign for re-election against Democrat Mary Burke. National polls consistently show that requiring welfare recipients to prove they're not on drugs is an overwhelmingly popular idea.

Popular as it is, federal law doesn't allow states to require drug tests for food stamps or unemployment insurance. (States have more leeway to test beneficiaries of the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program.) Walker told the Journal Sentinel that he would welcome a fight with the feds.

"We believe that there will potentially be a fight with the federal government and in court," Walker told the paper on Sunday. A Burke spokesman derided Walker's idea as a campaign stunt, the Journal Sentinel reported.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I highly doubt this would be effective at anything other than wasting money. If we want to be drug testing people lets do it to our elected officials and see if any of them can pass one.

3. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

yep they are on the public dole.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Truth! That's been proven in other states already. Republicans (and Democrats) love wasting taxpayer money as long as it plays to their base.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I support drug testing politicians.

----------

BOTH love big government, its simply a matter of where they want it.

6. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I'll second your proposed bill… Can we get a floor vote?

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Before anyone here says they support Walker, let's not forget Florida's welfare drug testing fail:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/18/us/no-savings-found-in-florida-welfare-drug-tests.html?ref=us

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It will be very difficult to drug test 48% of the American population.

9. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Walker issued a 62-page hype/plan document (pdf) describing his position. From the third page, it appears he is running against Jim Doyle (the previous WI governor).

10. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Somehow I don't think drug dealers accept EBT...

11. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Unless you live in Colorado where the marijuana dealers can and do accept EBT legally. Got to love it.

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

If the EBT is using any federals funds than that is illegal use of food stamps.

13. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Well, it's good at ginning up votes for Walker from mouth-breathing conservatives...

14. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

A recent Snopes article says otherwise...

15. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

But it is VERY easy to sell your food stamps/EBT for 0.50 to the dollar and then use the money to buy drugs. Our local TV station ran a big expose on this scam.

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The marijuana stores in Colorado and Washington don't accept anything but cash. Nice try though.

17. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

It's illegal. Sounds like cops should step up enforcement of the law, no?

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Oh, a number of people were arrested as a result of this story.

19. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I know you love to try and prove me wrong but I did not say that you could use SNAP benefits to purchase weed. Didn't mention food stamps either.

20. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

You said: "Unless you live in Colorado where the marijuana dealers can and do accept EBT legally."

Try reading the linked Snopes article again and maybe the fact that "marijuana dealers" can't accept EBT cards to purchase pot will sink in, e.g., "people using ATMs situated in marijuana shops to withdraw cash against their EBT cards, then using that cash to purchase pot" =/= "marijuana dealers can and do accept EBT legally".

21. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Yes, my statement is exactly correct. You can use your EBT card to purchase marijuana in Colorado. Your Snopes link only says that you cannot use SNAP benefits which is true. But you can use your EBT card. Now, I don't expect you to believe me or even admit that I'm right but I'll throw a few links in for you, any way. I think that Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia Mathews Burwell may know about this.

Recreational pot: Processors of credit, debit cards relax rules - Denver Post

22. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

You seem to be reading the Snopes article and either (1) ignoring everything that disagrees with your belief or (2) you're trying desperately to move the goal posts.

One more time:

"people using ATMs situated in marijuana shops to withdraw cash against their EBT cards, then using that cash to purchase pot" =/= "marijuana dealers can and do accept EBT legally"

Again, you claimed ""marijuana dealers can and do accept EBT legally", but the articles you posted don't support that claim.

The Denver Post doesn't mention "EBT" cards (at all). The CBS article is about people using ATM machines located inside dispensaries to withdraw cash. The USA Today article is about dispensaries accepting "Visa and MasterCard". The other articles reference the National Review article which was about people using ATM machines located inside dispensaries to withdraw cash.

23. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I don't see an issue in testing welfare, politicians and anyone else that gets their money from all of us.

24. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

EBT cards can be used in any ATM machine or anywhere that debit transactions are allowed.

25. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

well you better want to test corporations since they rake in far more money from us. if you make 150,000 a year you pay about 47.00 to welfare programs. but you pay almost 500.00 to corporate welfare. you think it it is worth worrying how 47.00 of your taxes are spent?