Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chisoxbull

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, Arizona
This is an official ATT store in Scottsdale, AZ. They are advising everyone to turn off 3g. Every call on 3g is currently being dropped. Prior to the 2.0.2 update, the service was working well, not great. Has anyone else heard of any issues like this?

The store telling customers this is the following:
At&T: Scottsdale‎ - more info »
17025 North Scottsdale Road, Scottsdale, AZ - (480) 513-9199‎

They are also stating that they cannot refund the 3g service fees.

Thanks,
Corey

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?
This is an official ATT store in Scottsdale, AZ. They are advising everyone to turn off 3g. Every call on 3g is currently being dropped. Prior to the 2.0.2 update, the service was working well, not great. Has anyone else heard of any issues like this?

The store telling customers this is the following:
At&T: Scottsdale‎ - more info »
17025 North Scottsdale Road, Scottsdale, AZ - (480) 513-9199‎

They are also stating that they cannot refund the 3g service fees.

Thanks,
Corey
i haven't dropped a call since updating.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
They're probably only covering their butts from those people who believe that the extra money entitles them to 3G no matter what.

If they are in an area advertised as having 3G service and they purchase a device which promises to utilize that service I'm not understanding why someone *wouldn't* feel entitled to experience 3G speeds?

The only problem is that Apple can't refund service fees-the refund would have to come from AT&T--and it should be refunded.

It's like your offended that people should expect their devices to work they way there are promised to.

chisoxbull

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, Arizona
There is a service fee for 3G. It is $10 per month over the 2G Edge Data as well the cost of the phone of $299 (for 16 GB) over the 2G iPhone I have sitting here that I also paid for the does the same thing as my new iPhone 3G.

Clyde099

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
At least they're pretending like they care.
Hopefully they fix whatever's going on soon.

chisoxbull

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, Arizona
Ah.. thats probably true.

This area shows almost all best coverage and includes 3G coverage and they state there are towers all over the place so service should be there. I find it weird they are actually saying we know the 3G is a problem, but we wont publicly state it for certain areas.

StoneColdSober

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
I notice the $30.00 on my plan. I have noticed it for a long time, including prior to getting the iPhone 3g or a phone that had 3G. In fact, I used to pay $45.00 because I was on an enterprise plan (no difference between the personal and enterprise data plans other than price). And for a while I was paying $60.00 to get tethering (as we all know we can't tether with the iPhone, at least not legitimately).

I understand that the pricing for the data plan on the iPhone 3G went up from the $20.00 that was charged on the Gen 1 iPhone but the $30.00 they charge now is in line with all the other data plans that AT&T has offered for a couple of years now (other than medianet). So your reasoning is incorrect.

Should AT&T offer some sort of credit if calls are getting dropped? Sure, but that would be the case if we were talking about Edge or GPRS as well.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
thats not a 3g service fee.

thats a DATA service fee.

The coverage map on AT&T's website indicates that Scottsdale is within a 3G service area.

The iphone is a 3G device

Apple and AT&T claim in national advertising that an iphone within a 3G service area will connect at "blazing speeds"

The data service fee was/is $20 a month for 1st generation iphones on edge. it has now been raised to be on par with other 3G service plans. If 3G service cannot be delivered as promised -- and that is becoming very clear -- there should be a refund.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
That doesn't guarantee 3G connection. There's no such guarantee and no phone company would be foolish enough to make one.

They don't guarantee that everyone within the service area will be able to connect at all times. I think most reasonable people understand that.

However, many people are now reporting they never or rarely connect to 3G service within the service area. This is a big problem.

StoneColdSober

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
it has now been raised to be on par with other 3G service plans. If 3G service cannot be delivered as promised -- and that is becoming very clear -- there should be a refund.

That is actually incorrect. It has been raised to be on par with all the other data plans AT&T offers (except the Gen 1 iPhone and medianet).

So, as I said before, should some sort of credit be issued for dropped calls, certainly. But that has nothing to do with the $30.00 charge for a data plan.

karenlbb

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2009
Turn off 3G

I was also told to turn off 3G by Scottsdale, AZ official ATT store on N. Scottsdale Road because I was unable to get phone or on-line service with or without 3G. Store was very helpful & friendly, w lots of suggestions, however turning 3G off never helped. But I did solve the problem!!!! I switched to Verizon Blackberry, problem solved.

I would have liked to been able to stay with ATT, but I had no bars in more places.

Sorry

solideliquid

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
I was also told to turn off 3G by Scottsdale, AZ official ATT store on N. Scottsdale Road because I was unable to get phone or on-line service with or without 3G. Store was very helpful & friendly, w lots of suggestions, however turning 3G off never helped. But I did solve the problem!!!! I switched to Verizon Blackberry, problem solved.

I would have liked to been able to stay with ATT, but I had no bars in more places.

Sorry

Anyone in the area experience better service? I still can't get service in my apartment or in some places around Scottsdale.

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
They are retarted!

I work in North Scottsdale actually down the road from that AT&T store and I get almost all bars if not 4 bars, and my 3g Service is good to say the least faster than the 3g crap I just left verizon for.

I would love to know what that store reps are smoking.

nehunte

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2009
If 3G service cannot be delivered as promised -- and that is becoming very clear -- there should be a refund.

That's fine, you can only pay $20. But if you ever go somewhere 3G is available, you shouldn't be allowed to use it.

chriszzz

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
There is a service fee for 3G. It is $10 per month over the 2G Edge Data as well the cost of the phone of $299 (for 16 GB) over the 2G iPhone I have sitting here that I also paid for the does the same thing as my new iPhone 3G.

The $20 data plan is not offered for anything other than a 1st Gen phone. It was an exception. Data for any AT&T phone is $30, regardless of the phones data capabilities. (With the 1st Gen as an exception)

intrepid00

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2008
That doesn't guarantee 3G connection. There's no such guarantee and no phone company would be foolish enough to make one.

You purchase a service 3g service by contract. It is resonable that you should expect resonable service coverage of 3g if they say your area is 3g service.

Failure to do otherwise could put them in violations of either the FCC or FTC. When a contract is made, obligations are made on both sides. Typical where one side exchanges money while another side exchanges a service or goods. In fact, no contract is valid unless both parties lose and gain something.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I suppose you don't notice the $30 data plan on your bill?

I suppose you didn't notice the subsidy you got when you got the iPhone 3G?

The extra $10, aside from the fact that iPhone users use more data than dumbphone users, offsets your subsidy. The original iPhone was sold unsubsidized, hence the lower price point for data.

You will also note that pricing for all subsidized smartphones, be they 2G or 3G, is the same and irrespective of being able to receive 3G service.

You purchase a service 3g service by contract. It is resonable that you should expect resonable service coverage of 3g if they say your area is 3g service.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...erviceAgreement&q_termsName=Service+Agreement

"There are gaps in service within the service areas shown on coverage maps, which, by their nature, are only approximations of actual coverage. WE DO NOT GUARANTEE YOU UNINTERRUPTED SERVICE OR COVERAGE."

(Emphasis not mine. That is a verbatim copy.)

Failure to do otherwise could put them in violations of either the FCC or FTC.

Fiction.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

It should be apple who refunds the fees.

It has been reported time and time again the iPhone can not switch between 3G and edge during a call. All the other 3G phones out there have no problem jumping between the two but the phone can not do it.

The iPhone has a software issue. Apple needs to fix it so it can handle switching between the 2.

Something is wrong when my 2.5 year old 3G LG phone can handle the hand off no problem and the iPhone can not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.