SCOTUS decision on Arizona Immigration Bill

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Jun 25, 2012.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

SCOTUS' decision:

Oh no, wouldn't that give the authorities in Arizona the power to stop anyone who looked Hispanic and demand their papers?

I wonder how the Obama administration would respond to this defeat.

Arizona can't just pass a slightly different law because the Supreme Court just upheld the authority of the Federal Government to determine immigration policy. That certainly seems to end Gov. Brewer's 15 minutes.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Not entirely. What I mean by that is has to be on a case-by-case basis. First, it depends on age of the individual (see Obama's executive order from last week), plus depends on how the law is implemented and interpreted. SCOTUS held back on that part, waiting to see how that is done, then it will rule on its constitutionality based on Arizona's execution of the law.

Obama's order comes into play here, so all is not bad or a 'defeat'.

Indeed it does. Plus it spells the beginning of the end for Arpaio.

BL.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The power to exclude from the sovereign's territory people who have no right to be there"?

Where do I find that in the Constitution of the United States?

:confused:

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Again, I refer to Icky Thump.

They want their cake and to eat it too. But they are oblivious in realizing that a little over 100 years ago, their forefathers were in the same situation.

BL.

5. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Obama seems to be doing everything he can to block the enforcement of our immigration laws unless a felony is committed. This does nothing to discourage others from illegally entering the country or overstaying their visit on a visa. More shameful political pandering to hispanics to get their votes.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

WTF are you talking about? More illegals have been deported under Obama than Bush- far more. Do your research. I get tired of people being lazy here.

7. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

He may have deported more than Bush, but he isn't deporting nearly as many as he could be. I don't know why everything comes back to Bush when we are discussing Obama's policies. Bush is hardly the standard of right behavior, especially when it comes to enforcement of our immigration laws. If this administration is only willing to deport when a felony has been committed, as it says, then it is turning away the vast majority of illegal aliens that come to its attention. I don't give a crap whether Bush did worse in this regard.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Hindsight is great isn't it ?

Works well during election years.

9. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I'm not sure what your point is. Care to elaborate?

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You really need a dose of reality here ...

But, but Obama ... he's so soft on immigration.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Thank you. Now, mgguy- what is your problem with Obama again? All I ask is that people look at reality. I'm sick of people making statements about Obama that are wrong. There are plenty of legitimate reasons not to like Obama. Immigration is not one of them.

12. jsolares macrumors 6502a

Doesn't it mean that the Police can't enforce immigration on non felonies? isn't that a good thing? don't the police have enough to do than to enforce immigration?

Way back i believe it was the INS job, not sure how it stands now since apparently the INS disappeared in 2003, ICE? USCIS?

At least it makes me more likely to apply for a visa and visit friends and family in the US

13. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Obama is backing away from the use of deportation except in felony cases, and has just announced that INS will no longer respond to referal of illegal immigrants made by Arizona. The deportation counts he has reported are in large part individuals who have been turned away at the border and are not deportations as commonly understood. It appears that Obama is avoiding enforcing our immigration laws and on deporting confirmed illegal aliens to win the hispanic vote.

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Apparently we need to alter the laws until we are deporting "enough" people to presumably solve the illegal immigration problem? I imagine you think that the solution to a leaky boat is to bail faster rather than plugging the hole.

15. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

The laws don't need to be changed. The solution is to enforce the laws and stop pandering to illegal aliens and those who support them to win their votes.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm not really clear how it's OK to blame Obama for something he has done better at than the previous white house incumbant...

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

[​IMG] Thanks for my morning laugh. :D

18. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Hmmm...was it "pandering to hispanics to get their votes" when Bush Jr., Clinton, Bush Sr. and Reagan did it? Saint Reagan must have been the biggest pander of them all then since he gave amnesty to millions of illegal aliens without lifting a finger to make our borders more secure.

How quickly some forget (or don't learn about) history.

It's what his critics do. If he does nothing on an issue, he gets blamed. If he does do something he gets blamed for not doing it fast enough. If he does an executive end run around a do-nothing congress then he is a "dictator" who has "failed leadership" on the issue despite the other side having no plan of their own and being the real failed leaders.

The last few days have been quite stunning in Romney's lack of response. He has hid out from reporters on airplanes, and has failed to provide any details of what his plan for immigration would look like. Because he in fact, has no plans. That is failed leadership. And sending out your surrogates to talk in circles and provide no details combined with a complete inability to answer direct questions is not the sign of a leader either. The guy on with CNN's Soledad O'Brien this morning was especially bad. He refused to even answer 10 minutes of the same "Yes or no- Does Romney agree with Arizona papers please" question. If Romney wants to talk about failed leadership, he needs to start with himself and worry about his own failed leadership...particularly on this issue. All he and his surrogates want to talk about is how bad Obama is. Yes yes...that's nice...but what do YOU want to do about things? Even people within his own party are getting frustrated with his lack of detail, plans or answers.

19. gibbz macrumors 68030

If I were Brewer, I wouldn't be touting any victory on the part that was upheld. The SCOTUS said they couldn't strike it down because it hasn't been in effect. They clearly stated it could face further legal challenges once implemented, depending on how it is enforced. If profiling concerns arise once the policy is in effect, then it can be challenged in court. The heart of the entire law has been destroyed.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

There are more illegals in the country than ever before and it increases every year, deportation observations would need to take this into account. Not to mention numbers estimating illegal populations are a little hard to keep track of since they aren't documented. I think at this point a 500,000 dollar fine for hiring illegal workers and 100,000 for knowingly housing one should be a good start.

----------

In Arizona nearly all of the illegals are hispanic, so nearly all of the people caught that don't speak a word of English and aren't carrying a drivers license or insurance are probably going to be Hispanic. Its not racism, its just the facts.

21. gibbz macrumors 68030

Maybe I'm a liberal bleeding heart, but can we all just stop the racially-charged, fear-driving, and disparaging term "illegals"? True, there are people who immigrate to the United States illegally. However, if we are to use the term "illegals", then we should apply it to everyone who breaks a law.

Also, the notion that these people steal all of our jobs is laughable. They largely take jobs that Americans refuse to take, either seeing the jobs as below our dignity or below the wages we want to accept. They keep coming because the opportunities still exist. Want them to leave? Then maybe people should get off welfare and take a job - reducing the opportunities for these immigrants. I wouldn't hold your breath.

But let's say your goal of irradiating illegal immigration comes to fruition. Do you really think the American people will accept the increased prices in produce, services, etc? We should own the fact Americans love cheap labor because of what it affords our wallets.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The reason they get the term illegal is because their very existance and first act in the country is illegal. I also don't consider it immigration per se unless they follow the immigration policies of the sovereign country. They are at best temporary residents without documentation. I know in my home state illegals suppress wages for roofing and the construction industry, and there are plenty of candidates for those positions. Most of the money they make is either going to the bar or back to Mexico so its really not much different than outsourcing we do normally. I think the "Americans won't work these jobs" is ******** and the only reason they wouldn't do them is because illegals have no marketable skills so they suppress wages in low skill industries to the point that people can't compete if they want to keep any form of dignity.

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Why do you spout such nonsense? You're not stupid but all you do is regurgitate Faux News talking points.

24. Huntn, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Although most of my posts in this forum could be described as "liberal" posts, I would describe myself as a moderate reacting to ultra-conservatives.

That being said, I agree that illegal aliens do suppress wages in the construction industry and hurt U.S. citizens. I saw it in Minnesota. And just because your parent sneaks into the U.S. and you are born here, does not mean you should get to be a U.S. citizen by default. But I am completely against the Arizona law that had the nerve to say based on a visual impression, law enforcement personnel should be allowed to detain you and check your papers. However if you are illegally in the country, I don't believe you should be allowed to have a drivers license. And I acknowledge that there are States where crops are rotting in the fields due to lack of workers.

Where I am stuck is how to fix this. I don't believe we have the money to evict 11 million illegal aliens. I like guest worker programs that might lead to citizenship. I'm against a 2000 mile fence. I much prefer going after employers to enforce our immigration laws. But the bottom line is just because you successfully snuck into the U.S., does not qualify you for U.S. citizenship. An ideal situation does not facilitate illegal aliens, but promotes legal immigration.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I dispute the figures used and the methods used to collect them. Year after year I watched more and more illegals flood in. There's no way for the government to accurately track them and if they could they should be deporting them immediately.